The Student Room Group

I have no A level qualifications but I want to go uni

After school, I started working straight away, but now I really wanna go to uni. I am 18 years old and I was looking in to some foundation courses but I'm not sure if they will even consider me. So what can I do? Please can someone give me a little advice.

Thanks
Reply 1
do A levels, sorry, not what you want to hear, but it's the truth
Reply 2
What course are you looking into studying?
Original post by Fokrul16
After school, I started working straight away, but now I really wanna go to uni. I am 18 years old and I was looking in to some foundation courses but I'm not sure if they will even consider me. So what can I do? Please can someone give me a little advice.

Thanks

Do a few basic qualifications if you can get them,

Either
Level 2 BTEC course
Level 2 NVQ
GCSE's
Adult Literacy and Numeracy

Then do an Access to higher education diploma afterwards which is 1 year fast track qualification which will mean that it will have 2 years worth of A levels and it will allow you to apply for uni,
Reply 4
Aged 18 you can still take A levels in the UK for free as long as you are aged 18 on Aug 31 2013.

My advice would be to go to A college and study a levels or btec at a college.

I started my A/S levels last year. I'm 19 and just going into A2.
Reply 5
Would I still be able to enrol to A level courses still considering my age?
Reply 6
I have my GCSE qualifications
Reply 7
Would I still be able to enrol to A level courses still considering my age?

are you under 19 on August 31 2013 ?

If yes, then yes.

If no, then it will cost.
Reply 8
Original post by Blue-Shoes
What course are you looking into studying?

Something to do with computing as I enjoy that.
Reply 9
Just as an aside, you don't needed any previous qualifications to go on an Access course, and it doesn't give you an A-level. It gives you a level three qualification that SOME/MOST universities accept as an alternative to A-levels.
If you haven't already, try to pinpoint what it is you'd like to study, find the universities that both offer the courses you are interested in and that you can get to (e.g. nearby if you have family/other commitments) and find out which qualifications they ask for.
Some universities don't require you to have A-levels or any level three qualifications to enroll on a foundation year, so it's definitely worth searching UCAS and making some calls.
Reply 10
Between the age of 18-24 you are entitled to a level 3 qualification (such as an access course) for free if you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Contact your local college to see what access courses they offer, and then contact uni's to see if they accept access courses and what grades you need to get (45 credits at merit or distinction for example (most access courses offer 60 level 3 credits)). Most access courses also provide help with ucas and applications. Make sure you know what you want to study - passion and integrity are fundamental in gaining places at university - you have to show at interview level you can fulfil three years of training and are worth investing in.
Reply 11
Original post by Logan88
Between the age of 18-24 you are entitled to a level 3 qualification (such as an access course) for free if you do not already have a level 3 qualification. Contact your local college to see what access courses they offer, and then contact uni's to see if they accept access courses and what grades you need to get (45 credits at merit or distinction for example (most access courses offer 60 level 3 credits)). Most access courses also provide help with ucas and applications. Make sure you know what you want to study - passion and integrity are fundamental in gaining places at university - you have to show at interview level you can fulfil three years of training and are worth investing in.

I havw asked UCAS if I can gwt into a foundation degree without any level 3 qualifications and they said yes but ask around in uni's if they will accept. So I asked goldsmith university if they will accept me for 2014 foundation degree in computing they said yes I will be able tk apply even though I dont have any level 3 qualifications.
I havw asked UCAS if I can gwt into a foundation degree without any level 3 qualifications and they said yes but ask around in uni's if they will accept. So I asked goldsmith university if they will accept me for 2014 foundation degree in computing they said yes I will be able tk apply even though I dont have any level 3 qualifications.

That's brilliant! Well done, and good luck :smile:
Original post by goonermk
are you under 19 on August 31 2013 ?

If yes, then yes.

If no, then it will cost.

Nope, that's not entirely true. If you are over 19 but studying for your first 'level three' qualification (ie; the first time you have done A-Levels) then it is free.

I know, I am 24 and just completed mine, having started at 22.

I would suggest trying to get onto an access course anyway

If you go onto the foundation course having no level 3 and having been out of any education for 3 years you will struggle

The access course would ease you in - it would also open more options up
The only problem with doing a 1 year access course at 18 is that you will be competing with people of equivalent age who have A-levels, not just for university places but for jobs too. You also won't be considered a mature student, so some universities won't be as lenient when considering your qualifications. Access courses don't have UCAS points so that could hinder your chances of getting some graduate level jobs.

I would think that, as you're still young, it would be better to do A-levels, then you will be doing exactly the same as everybody else. As long as you do well you will be on a level playing field with all the other applicants. Whereas, there is a chance you could be at a disadvantage by doing access at your age. Also make sure you have the correct GCSE's, a lot of computing courses ask for at least a C or above in English, maths and science at GCSE.

Basically the best advice would be to find the uni and the course and then work to meet their standard requirements.
(edited 10 years ago)
I am a international student and i am on the 11th grade (12th grade is the last here), what if they require a higher education diploma but i dont have it? I am applying for a foundation year..
I'm 18 years old I don't have A level qualification, I really want to go to UNI and I do have my level 2 NVQ qualification. which I did health and social care. and I really want to go UNI and nursing course.
IS THERE ANY CHANCE I CAN GO TO UNI WITHOUT DOING A LEVE? please give me answer.
Original post by khan-7770
I'm 18 years old I don't have A level qualification, I really want to go to UNI and I do have my level 2 NVQ qualification. which I did health and social care. and I really want to go UNI and nursing course.
IS THERE ANY CHANCE I CAN GO TO UNI WITHOUT DOING A LEVE? please give me answer.

No, I'm afraid you are going to need level 3 qualifications. They don't have to be A levels. You can do BTECs and the like, but they must be level 3.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending