The Student Room Group

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'm not applying to any BMAT ones either, too much of a risk. Plus I did a past paper and really failed it. Got 4. something which is below average :frown:
However, if I somehow fluke the UKCAT and get ridiculously high like 750 I may try bmat for Oxford.
Otherwise my other choices are Manchester, Kings and Leicester :smile:

I really don't think doing psychology in one year will be an issue. I can't see why :smile:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Reply 21
Original post by tamil4
leeds are doing bmat this year right?
i'm thinking of barts, uea, sgul and not sure of my 4th but it all depends on the UKCAT. I wont be applying to the BMAT ones though, my academics aren't too great.

Yeah, I think leads are doing it for the 2014/15 entry... Which is us :tongue:

Original post by KanKan
I'm not applying to any BMAT ones either, too much of a risk. Plus I did a past paper and really failed it. Got 4. something which is below average :frown:
However, if I somehow fluke the UKCAT and get ridiculously high like 750 I may try bmat for Oxford.
Otherwise my other choices are Manchester, Kings and Leicester :smile:

I really don't think doing psychology in one year will be an issue. I can't see why :smile:

Original post by KanKan
Yeah, I think leads are doing it for the 2014/15 entry... Which is us :tongue:

Those are good choices. :smile: hopefully your UKCAT does go amazingly. And the BMAT website says 2015 and onwards..does that include us? I hope not, I really wanna apply to Leeds and applying to 2 BMAT unis is very risky. Might have to email them. :redface:
Original post by cat-lover
It says 2015 or later on the website so thankfully no. :tongue: I think I'm gonna bomb the BMAT honestly but trying to be positive. Imperial's a pretty aspirational choice for me. :redface: I actually picked up the whole Psychology A-level in my A2 year because I realised picking Physics was a mistake as I can't achieve an A. Dropped Maths at AS for that same reason. Dunno how I'm gonna get through the BMAT not being the best at Physics or Maths. Hopefully it'll all go well though!

Oh okay that's good. Haha dont worryI'm sure it'll go well! Oh right, it's very science based right? Good luck for it!
Original post by tamil4
Oh okay that's good. Haha dont worryI'm sure it'll go well! Oh right, it's very science based right? Good luck for it!

Yes it is and thank you! :smile:
I'm applying here :smile:
Original post by mynameisntbobk
I'm applying here :smile:

Yay. :biggrin: Welcome to the thread! What are your stats like? :colone:
Yay. :biggrin: Welcome to the thread! What are your stats like? :colone:

Thank you :smile:

GCSE 4 A*, 3 A, 1 B + OCR national award at distinction
AS: AAAA
predicted anything from A*A*A*A-AAAA (I'll find out in a few weeks)
UKCAT: 675 average + band 2 in SJT :smile:

How about you?
Thank you :smile:

GCSE 4 A*, 3 A, 1 B + OCR national award at distinction
AS: AAAA
predicted anything from A*A*A*A-AAAA (I'll find out in a few weeks)
UKCAT: 675 average + band 2 in SJT :smile:

How about you?

That's really good, well done! I remember I got AABB for my AS results, haha.

IGCSEs 5A*, 2A, 1B
A*AABb (already achieved, didn't apply last year)
Haven't taken the UKCAT yet. Hopefully it won't go as badly as it did last year where I got 610. :redface:
That's really good, well done! I remember I got AABB for my AS results, haha.

IGCSEs 5A*, 2A, 1B
A*AABb (already achieved, didn't apply last year)
Haven't taken the UKCAT yet. Hopefully it won't go as badly as it did last year where I got 610. :redface:

Thank you :smile: barts don't look at AS if you have A-levels already right?

Yours are great as well! Good luck with the UKCAT though, I'm sure it'll go better than last year :tongue:
Thank you :smile: barts don't look at AS if you have A-levels already right?

Yours are great as well! Good luck with the UKCAT though, I'm sure it'll go better than last year :tongue:

I have no idea, I'm hoping they don't. :tongue: I might email them though just to be sure. And thank you! :biggrin:
I have no idea, I'm hoping they don't. :tongue: I might email them though just to be sure. And thank you! :biggrin:

Haha hopefully they don't, your A-level grades are really good! No problem :smile:
Haha hopefully they don't, your A-level grades are really good! No problem :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin: Chemistry was the hardest one to achieve, no help from my teachers. Had the worst teacher in my A2 year. :frown: I somehow managed to get exactly 480 ums overall so I'm over the moon. :tongue:
Reply 33
guys does anyone know what UKCAT score would be good enough to meet the cut-off here. I've dreamt of coming here since I was a kid, but I'm worried my score isn't high enough. From what I've heard, UKCAT constitutes a big part of the application process.
Original post by Don Jesu
guys does anyone know what UKCAT score would be good enough to meet the cut-off here. I've dreamt of coming here since I was a kid, but I'm worried my score isn't high enough. From what I've heard, UKCAT constitutes a big part of the application process.

Welcome to the thread. :smile: They use UKCAT and UCAS tariff points in a 50/50 weighting. If you have a lower UKCAT score, you can make up for it with higher UCAS tariff points. KanKan posted some really useful admission statistics in the first post so take a look at that to get some values. You can also find last year's thread as it had ranges of tariff points and how successful people were if they were within a particular range as well as some other stats.

If you don't mind sharing, what score did you get and what are your predicted grades/UCAS tariff points? The 3 of us have 530 UCAS tariff points so we need around 690 on our UKCAT (thanks for the estimate KanKan :biggrin:).
Thank you! :biggrin: Chemistry was the hardest one to achieve, no help from my teachers. Had the worst teacher in my A2 year. :frown: I somehow managed to get exactly 480 ums overall so I'm over the moon. :tongue:

Oh wow, very close there, but I'm glad it actually worked our, you must have worked really hard without your teachers to be able to get that
Reply 36
Welcome to the thread. :smile: They use UKCAT and UCAS tariff points in a 50/50 weighting. If you have a lower UKCAT score, you can make up for it with higher UCAS tariff points. KanKan posted some really useful admission statistics in the first post so take a look at that to get some values. You can also find last year's thread as it had ranges of tariff points and how successful people were if they were within a particular range as well as some other stats.

If you don't mind sharing, what score did you get and what are your predicted grades/UCAS tariff points? The 3 of us have 530 UCAS tariff points so we need around 690 on our UKCAT (thanks for the estimate KanKan :biggrin:).

I am actually a graduate applying for the 5 year program, so I don't think the same applies to me. According to the word document at the start of the thread, my UKCAT is used alone :s

I got a 2:1 for Biomedical Sciences (which I believe is their entry requirement) and I scored 765 average on the UKCAT :smile:
Oh wow, very close there, but I'm glad it actually worked our, you must have worked really hard without your teachers to be able to get that

Yeah, I was terrified I'd miss my grade all summer! I had a bad feeling I didn't do as well as possible on my ISA as my teachers wouldn't tell me what I got even though I kept pressing on. They kept saying I'm on track for my grade and that I don't need to resit it (everyone but me and one other person resat the ISA). Turns out the grade I was on track for was a B, even though they knew I needed an A to apply to university. They decided I didn't need to resit because there's no way I'm doing better than a B. For some reason they kept thinking all I was capable of was a B or less from Year 12. I got predicted a C at AS and ended up with an A. I think I'd have been pretty mad if I'd missed my grade by a few UMS because of not being given the chance to resit my ISA. Thankfully, that didn't happen and I got my grade. One of my teachers was really bad and kept getting everything wrong while he was teaching it..things like not converting to concentration for pH calculations. He taught it wrong for 2 weeks till someone pointed it out. Though we were probably just as bad as he was, it would've taken the rest of us more than 2 weeks to notice that. :colondollar: The only reason I did well was because I found some amazing notes on this website. :tongue:

Oh and sorry for the rant, I think I'm still a little mad at them. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Don Jesu
I am actually a graduate applying for the 5 year program, so I don't think the same applies to me. According to the word document at the start of the thread, my UKCAT is used alone :s

I got a 2:1 for Biomedical Sciences (which I believe is their entry requirement) and I scored 765 average on the UKCAT :smile:

Oops sorry, haha. Well done on your 2:1! 765 is amazing :eek: I don't know anything about graduate entry but I'd imagine you'd be fine with that UKCAT score. Do graduates usually get higher scores than that?
Yeah, I was terrified I'd miss my grade all summer! I had a bad feeling I didn't do as well as possible on my ISA as my teachers wouldn't tell me what I got even though I kept pressing on. They kept saying I'm on track for my grade and that I don't need to resit it (everyone but me and one other person resat the ISA). Turns out the grade I was on track for was a B, even though they knew I needed an A to apply to university. They decided I didn't need to resit because there's no way I'm doing better than a B. For some reason they kept thinking all I was capable of was a B or less from Year 12. I got predicted a C at AS and ended up with an A. I think I'd have been pretty mad if I'd missed my grade by a few UMS because of not being given the chance to resit my ISA. Thankfully, that didn't happen and I got my grade. One of my teachers was really bad and kept getting everything wrong while he was teaching it..things like not converting to concentration for pH calculations. He taught it wrong for 2 weeks till someone pointed it out. Though we were probably just as bad as he was, it would've taken the rest of us more than 2 weeks to notice that. :colondollar: The only reason I did well was because I found some amazing notes on this website. :tongue:

Oh and sorry for the rant, I think I'm still a little mad at them. :tongue:

Aww, well you definitely deserve the A then! I'm honestly glad it turned out how it did. And yep, TSR is great for revision and resources and such

Its completely fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending