The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CurtisDean
Is it normal for students to apply after receiving A-Level results? I don't know if it will effect my chances?

Yep it's perfectly normal :smile: I plan on applying to uni post A-Level anyway and I've come across a lot of people that have done it so that's quite reassuring I guess. :yep:
Original post by Idle
Is it bad that I am already downloading past exam papers for next June's exams? :colonhash: :tongue:

Yep, especially considering there aren't going to be any more past papers :mmm:
Original post by Idle
Is it bad that I am already downloading past exam papers for next June's exams? :colonhash: :tongue:

I've gone as far as getting my exam dates. Yes, that's how determined I am to work hard and plan well this year :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by usycool1
University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you! :biggrin:

Information you may wish to add:

What course you're going to apply for.

Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).

Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).

What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

University courses

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

Economics
AS Subjects: Mathematics (A), Further Mathematics (A), Economics (A), Physics (A)
A2 Subjects: Mathematics (Predicted A*), Further Mathematics (Predicted A*), Economics (Predicted A*), Physics (Predicted A*)
University choices: University of Cambridge, LSE, UCL, University of Warwick and University of Nottingham

So how much work do you guys have to do for school, when you return?
Reply 844
Original post by Epic Flawless
Economics
AS Subjects: Mathematics (A), Further Mathematics (A), Economics (A), Physics (A)
A2 Subjects: Mathematics (Predicted A*), Further Mathematics (Predicted A*), Economics (Predicted A*), Physics (Predicted A*)
University choices: University of Cambridge, LSE, UCL, University of Warwick and University of Nottingham

So how much work do you guys have to do for school, when you return?

By work what do you mean :holmes:

If you mean modules then I'm gonna continue FP2 and M2 at school and I've finished C3 and probably will finish C4 by the time I get back.

When I get back to school I will have economics, M2, FP2, D1 basically (will probably have to self-teach FP3).

and then I'll have to self teach FP3, M3, M4, S3
Original post by Robbie242
By work what do you mean :holmes:

If you mean modules then I'm gonna continue FP2 and M2 at school and I've finished C3 and probably will finish C4 by the time I get back.

When I get back to school I will have economics, M2, FP2, D1 basically (will probably have to self-teach FP3).

and then I'll have to self teach FP3, M3, M4, S3

Well, I was initially meaning homework/prep work for A2 but admittedly, I was being quite ambiguous.

For maths modules, I'm in a good situation, I only have to do C3, C4, FP2 and FP3 for my maths and FM A2s because I did two extra maths modules this year. What's more, because I got 100 in D2 and S2, I only need 70/100 in FP2 or FP3 to get an A* in FM.

You're self-teaching AS AFM, aren't you? What's your motivation for doing so?
Original post by justanotherindigo
Yep it's perfectly normal :smile: I plan on applying to uni post A-Level anyway and I've come across a lot of people that have done it so that's quite reassuring I guess. :yep:

Can I be honest, I am really scared about this decision though..
I mean, everyone else is going to be worrying about UCAS, and I'm not going to be a part of that this year.
Also, I wanted to apply to US universities, the good thing is, my AS level grades should be good enough for me to get a place if I apply this year. However,I don;'t know if I should apply this year, and ask for deferred entry and enroll in 2015, or if I should just apply to university next year when I apply to UK universities. However, if I do the first option, it will mean If I am successful, I won't apply to a UK university at all --- this is my biggest dilemma btw.

The other thing is, I just feel so weird about not following the status quo and applying now, but I really want to get really good grades, and have a certain decision about what I want to study! So that I don't waste 40,000£ on a degree that I don't actually want!

I am also a bit sad that I won't be attending University the same time as my peers, but then again, there was a possibility I wouldn't be going to the same university as them regardless.

And finally, I think the other thing that confuses me is about what I will do on my Gap year, should I do a PQA? I have an entire year to literally do as much as I possibly can.

By the way, I literally made this decision yesterday after by teachers told me it may be advisable to look into other subjects, because I got a B in Chemistry, which is what I wanted to study.
I am really interested in the idea, but because I just decided yesterday, I obviously have a lot of doubt etc... :redface:
Reply 847
Well, I was initially meaning homework/prep work for A2 but admittedly, I was being quite ambiguous.

For maths modules, I'm in a good situation, I only have to do C3, C4, FP2 and FP3 for my maths and FM A2s because I did two extra maths modules this year. What's more, because I got 100 in D2 and S2, I only need 70/100 in FP2 or FP3 to get an A* in FM.

You're self-teaching AS AFM, aren't you? What's your motivation for doing so?

Haha fair enough :smile:

Ah they gave us some small sheets for C3 and FP2/M2 instead I just raced ahead on C3.
Oh impressive haha! I got 90 in S2 so just on cusp of an A*, just need 2 more A2 modules 90+ from the 6 I'm going to sit to get an A* :biggrin:

There are a few reasons:
1. Mix and match modules - I feel this really strengthens my chances of obtaining A* in Further Maths
2. Broaden my mechanics background by taking the harder mechanics units - I don't do physics so I would like to do more mechanics as it was quite interesting for m1 (though I got 92, thankfully due to the low edexcel boundaries)
3. Use it as a means of self-teaching, I self taught FM AS-level this year and now self teaching AFM AS-level this year, this will look good for unis
4. It's fun

If you were curious here were my AS scores, not too bad but nothing spectacular (I did get a B at GCSE though :biggrin: )

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Haha fair enough :smile:

Ah they gave us some small sheets for C3 and FP2/M2 instead I just raced ahead on C3.
Oh impressive haha! I got 90 in S2 so just on cusp of an A*, just need 2 more A2 modules 90+ from the 6 I'm going to sit to get an A* :biggrin:

There are a few reasons:
1. Mix and match modules - I feel this really strengthens my chances of obtaining A* in Further Maths
2. Broaden my mechanics background by taking the harder mechanics units - I don't do physics so I would like to do more mechanics as it was quite interesting for m1 (though I got 92, thankfully due to the low edexcel boundaries)
3. Use it as a means of self-teaching, I self taught FM AS-level this year and now self teaching AFM AS-level this year, this will look good for unis
4. It's fun

If you were curious here were my AS scores, not too bad but nothing spectacular (I did get a B at GCSE though :biggrin: )

Spoiler

Hmm, I was considering doing AFM AS too but as I'm not applying for maths, it's not really worth it. :/

What I find bizarre is that your S2 mark is higher than your S1 mark; at my school, everyone who did FM was dreading their S2 mark as they either skipped or struggled badly on the first question so most people got very low As or Bs.

Anyway, I've got a driving lesson now so see ya.
Reply 849
Hmm, I was considering doing AFM AS too but as I'm not applying for maths, it's not really worth it. :/

What I find bizarre is that your S2 mark is higher than your S1 mark; at my school, everyone who did FM was dreading their S2 mark as they either skipped or struggled badly on the first question so most people got very low As or Bs.

Anyway, I've got a driving lesson now so see ya.

That's fair enough, your goals are already very impressive, no need to overstretch it :smile:

Yeah I struggled with the first question as well but I managed to do most of it so picked up most of the marks.

See ya, have fun :tongue:
Reply 850
Original post by usycool1
University choices! :afraid:

If you're thinking about applying to university and want your choices in the list below, quote this post and I'll add them in for you! :biggrin:

Information you may wish to add:

What course you're going to apply for.

Your AS subjects (and grades if you like).

Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to).

What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that).

If you'd like to make any changes, just quote me. :h:

Hi everyone!

AS Subjects: Human Biology, History, English Lit, Psychology
A2 Subjects: History, English Lit + Psychology
University choices: Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham and Queen Mary's UofL

Hoping to do an English degree:biggrin:
Reply 851
Maths is taking over my personal statement, I just removed the last sport I did, ah well they only really want Mathmos in the end :tongue:
Maths is taking over my personal statement, I just removed the last sport I did, ah well they only really want Mathmos in the end :tongue:

I have the opposite, I was going to do mine about 2/3 physics and 1/3 music and it ended up the other way round :colondollar:

(I'm applying some combined honours, and some just straight physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 853
Original post by furryface12
I have the opposite, I was going to do mine about 2/3 physics and 1/3 music and it ended up the other way round :colondollar:

(I'm applying some combined honours, and some just straight physics)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahah oh dear :tongue:

That would make sense but the straight physicians will be confused - perhaps you could talk about the Riemann hypothesis and that brings together music and maths and physics xP

On the bright side of things, my personal statement is exactly 4000 characters on UCAS - no characters wasted :teeth:
x

I want to read haha, has TSR checked it over?
Reply 855
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I want to read haha, has TSR checked it over?

nope haha is there a service where you give your PS in to be checked?
Original post by justanotherindigo
I'm good thanks :smile: How's your summer going

Good to hear it! Summer is going alright thanks, it's slowing drawing to a close and I've started to recap work so all it good :tongue: what about you?

It's been forever since we spoke on TSR!
Ahah oh dear :tongue:

That would make sense but the straight physicians will be confused - perhaps you could talk about the Riemann hypothesis and that brings together music and maths and physics xP

On the bright side of things, my personal statement is exactly 4000 characters on UCAS - no characters wasted :teeth:

Mine is currently 5200, so my intention is to cut down the musicy bits a lot more than physics :tongue: Well done for getting yours done though, I want to have done mine by the end of tomorrow if I can! I started with the connections, then did the physics, had 2500 characters then it all went downhill from there... Why do I do so much that I need to include? :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
nope haha is there a service where you give your PS in to be checked?

:mad:

Yeah :lol: and for that information I want a read :smug:

Although chemistry ones would be better :teeth:
Reply 859
Original post by furryface12
Mine is currently 5200, so my intention is to cut down the musicy bits a lot more than physics :tongue: Well done for getting yours done though, I want to have done mine by the end of tomorrow if I can! I started with the connections, then did the physics, had 2500 characters then it all went downhill from there... Why do I do so much that I need to include? :mad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh haha I remember when mine was 5500 then I had the ultimate cut-down :tongue:. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to write for 2 separate courses - especially two as diverse as Physics and Music. I think in order for this to be successful you do need to make some connections but even then physics tutors will become confused that you started writing about Beethoven or something haha

Latest