The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary Freshers 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Pretty much in the same situation as all of you guys seem to be, living in london and will be doing computer science with foundation year! definitely on having a meetup before freshers etc. as I don't know anyone who's going!
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by tantan2803
Oh wow, is it going to be a straight train journey for you then? At least the journey will give you time to do a bit of outside prep for lectures. And you're a very brave girl. Maths was the bane of my life for the last two years :mad: I'm gonna be studying Psychology, although we will doing some statistics as part of one of the modules (but long gone are the days of differentiation and integration for me!)

It's not as bad as a lot of people think, I did a 'practice run' for the open/visit day and it was bearable. Plus the train rides are sometimes eventful with all the weird and wonderful people :rolleyes:. I also have a few friends in London who I can always stay with for a bit :smile:

lol! I just hope it doesn't drive me insane! I also took Psychology at A-level and loved it- it was one of the subjects I was considering :smile: is there a particular area of psychology you like? :smile:
Thought I'd chime in here! Going to be doing Medical Genetics, but only got my place today, so I have a feeling I'm going to be totally screwed for accommodation D:

And I also don't know anybody else going.
Reply 103
I'm doing Aero Meng after taking a gap year working in France.. Again same as everyone else with the freshers tickets thing! Alot of my friends who went straight to uni after A-Levels say to buy the freshers pass things but I don't know if its the same in london with so many unis all in one place.
I have a friend who started at UCL last year who just seemed to turn up and decide which events to go to then.. but don't want everything to sell out and end up missing out!
I'm also in private accomodation in greenwich so not too far hopefully.. Hoping to meet people at the freshers fairs and lectures etc
Reply 104
Hi everyone,

I'm Nikolai, another CS student here! :smile:
Really excited but worried for accommodation. Still didn't found anything. Could anyone explain me how is it possible to get a place somewhere in London preferably near QM uni ? Are there any hostels near there?

Original post by niksheva
Hi everyone,

I'm Nikolai, another CS student here! :smile:
Really excited but worried for accommodation. Still didn't found anything. Could anyone explain me how is it possible to get a place somewhere in London preferably near QM uni ? Are there any hostels near there?

Haha, mind telling me to? :biggrin:
Reply 106
Original post by angelgirlabz
Hey :smile: Me too! Have you got accommodation? :smile:

Helloo :biggrin: Nope didn't get accommodation unfortunately :frown: Will just commute shouldn't be too bad :rolleyes:
Reply 107
Queen mary was my insurance but I didn't get into my firm. What am I meant to do about accommodation because I didn't apply for it beforehand? and I live out of london

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlutoMars
Helloo :biggrin: Nope didn't get accommodation unfortunately :frown: Will just commute shouldn't be too bad :rolleyes:

Depends where you live but as a second year, my commute has always been 1 hour and 15 minutes. A bit stressful when coming back home and facing the crowds at Holborn :afraid:
Other than that, it was fine :smile:
Original post by PlutoMars

Don't worry, I'm commuting too :smile: Plus you get to meet the weird and the wonderful on trains :wink:
Reply 110
Mines roughly the same since I live in Redhill, but I dawdle a lot and get distracted by the pretty shops :rolleyes:

What subject are you studying? :smile:

I'm doing drama :smile: but I know what you mean with shops haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths_19
Queen mary was my insurance but I didn't get into my firm. What am I meant to do about accommodation because I didn't apply for it beforehand? and I live out of london

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: I just rejected my offer of accommodation, so you might want to try calling them up? I think there's a waiting list, but you never know. There's also loads of student accommodation offered in London, so have a look around (RightMove for Students is one site) :smile:
Original post by YoungJosh
I'm doing drama :smile: but I know what you mean with shops haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! I miss drama, but I hope they have some sort of society that I could join anyway :biggrin: Starting to get excited about uni! :banana:
Reply 113
Nice! I miss drama, but I hope they have some sort of society that I could join anyway :biggrin: Starting to get excited about uni! :banana:

Yeah they do have a student theatre company you can join :biggrin: QMTC, they go to Edinburgh fringe every year!

Sooo excited!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by Maths_19

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in the exact same position. Have you had letters or emails saying you're definitely in? I'm not sure how it all works, but I went through one of those emails and applied online, maybe yesterday or the day before. All you need is you reference number which is on every email, and then look for your password somewhere. Haven't heard back yet, but that's OK for now.
Reply 115
Original post by Shazz94
Pretty much in the same situation as all of you guys seem to be, living in london and will be doing computer science with foundation year! definitely on having a meetup before freshers etc. as I don't know anyone who's going!

I'm doing computer science as well. G400. What's this foundation year though? And does your course start on the 16th? Or is that Fresher's week? I don't know!! :eek:
Original post by Jessicabrady
I'm doing psychology and I'm in private halls across the road at Rahere

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah at least I'm not the only one! I'm looking to stay at Quantum Court which is about 20 minutes from Mile End campus but still waiting to hear back from them so I know definitely to book a room. We will have to go for a drink aha!
Reply 117
Hey I'm doing computer science, business management and accounting and am staying at Pooley house :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by Yoachim
I'm doing computer science as well. G400. What's this foundation year though? And does your course start on the 16th? Or is that Fresher's week? I don't know!! :eek:

Foundation year lets me get in with lower grades, but i do an extra year in the beginning which is a mix between 1st year and a levels. I assume the course starts later as I havent received any details about it, and the email explicitly said we get details 1 month before our start date.
Reply 119
if u want cheap (cheaper than others) try quantum court QM student get a discount so its 165 a week ( i think) still a couple of rooms left so its worth having a look :smile: just booked mine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending