The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just rang up if u haven't heard by yesterday, u have been unsuccessful - gutted!
Reply 81
Original post by sreddy17
Just got an email saying all of our courses at durham are now full but that was to an email I sent on Thursday asking to go into clearing which I think they have just read now!! Have any of you received that?
No nothing yet.
Original post by rowena7338
No nothing yet.

Sorry to be bearer of bad news as it happened to me also. Just rang up and women said if u haven't heard anything by yesterday, u have been rejected :/
sent an email on Thursday, got only one reply this morning saying that all their adjustment and clearing are close. The end, bad luck guys....:tongue:
Original post by incorrect1993
sent an email on Thursday, got only one reply this morning saying that all their adjustment and clearing are close. The end, bad luck guys....:tongue:

I know bad times! It's ridiculous though, they favour the adjustment students more. What are your options now?
I know bad times! It's ridiculous though, they favour the adjustment students more. What are your options now?

Doesn't seem like they favour adjustment students that much more. Got 4 A*s and still heard nothing, so a likely rejection. Bad times.
Original post by Lux-Aeterna
Doesn't seem like they favour adjustment students that much more. Got 4 A*s and still heard nothing, so a likely rejection. Bad times.

True, I think it's like first come first serve...:wink:
Reply 87
Hi I am a parent, I telephoned Durham at around 2.30 pm, they told me HOPEFULLY should hear by Wednesday. My son is in clearing. Nothing about 6 o'clock. He is applying for Maths. We have heard nothing so far.

We were told on Friday there was a place for my child A* A* A go thru clearing so we dropped her place at another uni and went into clearing as places at Durham stil lshowing yesterday - heard this morning rejected so we now have NOWHERE!!!! :eek:
Reply 88
Original post by jandanjan
We were told on Friday there was a place for my child A* A* A go thru clearing so we dropped her place at another uni and went into clearing as places at Durham stil lshowing yesterday - heard this morning rejected so we now have NOWHERE!!!! :eek:
Hello exactly the same. My son has nowhere too:frown: Seems ridiculous with these grades there is nothing for these young people
Reply 89
What are you going to do now?
theres a place there for business and finance ( i declined them)
Reply 91
Original post by Astarplease01
theres a place there for business and finance ( i declined them)
Why did you do that? What are your plans for next year?
Reply 92

Hello exactly the same. My son has nowhere too:frown: Seems ridiculous with these grades there is nothing for these young people

Commiserations to both of your children (and you). That is really poor.

Both of them should do really well when they re-apply - and a gap year, though unplanned, can offer some unexpected but welcome opportunities.
Reply 93
Just rang up if u haven't heard by yesterday, u have been unsuccessful - gutted!
Sorry to hear that. Durham has not behaved at all well on this one.
Reply 94
Original post by Minerva
Commiserations to both of your children (and you). That is really poor.

Both of them should do really well when they re-apply - and a gap year, though unplanned, can offer some unexpected but welcome opportunities.
Thank you, any suggestions for maths for a gap year?
Reply 95
Thank you, any suggestions for maths for a gap year?
I'm not the best person to ask, on that one :tongue:

I'd suggest calling the admissions tutors at the unis he's interested in, not this week but perhaps next, and see what sorts of things they would consider to add value to his application - or indeed if he needs anything at all. It is generally said that a gap year for maths hopefuls is not recommended, but he can't possibly the first good candidate that this has happened to.

I'm taking it that Durham isn't going to be on his short list this time?
Reply 96
What are you going to do now?

We spoke to Admissions on Friday and we were offered a place and they started the paperwork so we went into UCAS to complete and now got rejected. We are going to have to send her back to school ! She will complete her A2 German and do Additional Maths and apply for 2014 not at all what we wanted but no choice. We can't find a suitable job at this stage , she has to keep the maths going and she can't afford a gap year etc so boxed into a corner. It seems an offer is not actually an offer and places showing in UCAS clearing do not exist. A shameful process
Reply 97
We spoke to Admissions on Friday and we were offered a place and they started the paperwork so we went into UCAS to complete and now got rejected. We are going to have to send her back to school ! She will complete her A2 German and do Additional Maths and apply for 2014 not at all what we wanted but no choice. We can't find a suitable job at this stage , she has to keep the maths going and she can't afford a gap year etc so boxed into a corner. It seems an offer is not actually an offer and places showing in UCAS clearing do not exist. A shameful process
Places did exist - some people got lucky - but Durham seems to have allowed them to become hugely over-subscribed and then managed the process very badly. So yes, shameful, and we can only hope they learn from it.

I think it's important that your daughter is given some time to think through what she would like to do. I'm not sure what you mean by a 'suitable' job, but any job will add value to her CV and her bank account, no bad thing for a prospective student. Further A levels may not make much difference to her prospects; I would strongly recommend that, like Rowena7338's son, she talks to admissions tutors at the universities that interest her to find out what they would be looking for.
Reply 98
Original post by Minerva
Places did exist - some people got lucky - but Durham seems to have allowed them to become hugely over-subscribed and then managed the process very badly. So yes, shameful, and we can only hope they learn from it.

I think it's important that your daughter is given some time to think through what she would like to do. I'm not sure what you mean by a 'suitable' job, but any job will add value to her CV and her bank account, no bad thing for a prospective student. Further A levels may not make much difference to her prospects; I would strongly recommend that, like Rowena7338's son, she talks to admissions tutors at the universities that interest her to find out what they would be looking for.

Yes I know what you mean . We have spoken to the relevant universities and a "suitable job" would be one in accountancy or using her maths but their in short supply. Its a timing issue really. The German A2 level does make sense simply because she was planning to do the MMath 4 years and spend a year in Germany - her German is very good and she only dropped it as the unis said they wanted Physics over German so it will achieve something. She is applying to Waitrose /Tesco etc plus she does tutor in Maths and works at Kumon as well so things that are relevant. A job is a job but there does need to be some relevancy to them for some unis so we figured this covered most bases. As school starts 5/9 we need to think this through and at least have a plan -yesterday when we had nothing was just awful so at least a plan takes us closer to the university degree.
Reply 99
Yes I know what you mean . We have spoken to the relevant universities and a "suitable job" would be one in accountancy or using her maths but their in short supply. Its a timing issue really. The German A2 level does make sense simply because she was planning to do the MMath 4 years and spend a year in Germany - her German is very good and she only dropped it as the unis said they wanted Physics over German so it will achieve something. She is applying to Waitrose /Tesco etc plus she does tutor in Maths and works at Kumon as well so things that are relevant. A job is a job but there does need to be some relevancy to them for some unis so we figured this covered most bases. As school starts 5/9 we need to think this through and at least have a plan -yesterday when we had nothing was just awful so at least a plan takes us closer to the university degree.
Absolutely - having a plan of action, even if it's completely different from what you had expected, is definitely a morale-booster.

Latest

Trending

Trending