The Student Room Group

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Can you still apply to Oxbridge with the 4th AS being lower than an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smko
Hey guys just wanted some advice :smile:
In History I got a B overall (Really happy) but in one exam I got an A and the other I got a C... I'm 4 ums off an A overall, do you think it's worth getting a remark in the paper I got a C in? (Thought I had done better in that paper tbh ) .

In History do remarks usually go up? :smile:

My friend had his history remarked and it went up 18 marks! Went from a D to a B. He had a written apology from the chief examiner for WJEC History, and rightly so.
So I'd say go for it. Even if it gets marked down you're very unlikely to go down an entire grade!
Original post by sr234
Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?:redface:

AAAAB:colondollar:
Original post by Lizy
Can you still apply to Oxbridge with the 4th AS being lower than an A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

hells na
Same at my college, so many people aren't being accepted back for second year. Seems like our year is on the receiving end of a crack down on difficulty of exams, was the same at GCSE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have no idea how many have dropped out in my school but probably hardly any.

Alot of people who got the likes of 3 D's will come back just because their friends are here but personally I would just start new a levels else where it isn't worth it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Frostyjoe
I have no idea how many have dropped out in my school but probably hardly any.

Alot of people who got the likes of 3 D's will come back just because their friends are here but personally I would just start new a levels else where it isn't worth it.

I know right, I don't think my school kicked anyone out yet most of the people got really bad results like 4 E's or CDEU. One of my friends was retaking year 12 and he got CDE and I was feeling sorry for him :s-smilie:. So retaking the year might not be the smartest thing to do.
Original post by Dilzo999
I know right, I don't think my school kicked anyone out yet most of the people got really bad results like 4 E's or CDEU. One of my friends was retaking year 12 and he got CDE and I was feeling sorry for him :s-smilie:. So retaking the year might not be the smartest thing to do.

Yea thats awful, I think i'd die if I had got bad results. I don't know what my yeargroup got though as I got someone else to collect. I'm sure they did alright. Not sure how many dropped out. You gotta feel sorry for them ones.

I personally would not have retaken the year because I really could not be bothered haha.
Reply 468
VERY HARSH I got kicked out of six form for getting ADE and distinction(btec)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jvc95
VERY HARSH I got kicked out of six form for getting ADE and distinction(btec)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hardly harsh at all.
Original post by sr234
Yh i haven't heard of anyone achieving more than an AA at AS this year?:redface:

I got 4 As, but in fairness I did do media studies, English language, graphic design and photography which are all very reliant on coursework!
Reply 471
I think that people who got like only one E or D grade and nothing lower than those grades, the school should let the individual stay on and drop the grade or let them retake a couple modules next summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 472
Original post by abc1234567890
AAAAB:colondollar:

Haha, everyone on TSR keeps proving me wrong :tongue: Well done, you did amazing!:smile:

Original post by Emarsdenhill
I got 4 As, but in fairness I did do media studies, English language, graphic design and photography which are all very reliant on coursework!

Well done !:biggrin: It can be hard to get high marks in coursework:tongue:
Original post by sr234

I got AAABB...so close to AAAAA :frown: haha
Reply 474
Original post by lauraaaaa
I got AAABB...so close to AAAAA :frown: haha

Wow! 5 a-levels, those are v.good grades! You should be proud!!:biggrin:
Original post by sr234
Wow! 5 a-levels, those are v.good grades! You should be proud!!:biggrin:

One of the B's was general studies, don't be too praising haha
I got C in Chemistry(A2) which im a bit annoyed as i was predicted a B and i tried so bloody hard for it. a C in Physics(AS) though i was 3 ums off a B and got an A in a exam worth 50% of the ums in AS but i got a U in the practical "_" and a C in the 30% mechanics exams. I got an E in Human Biology(A2) After geting a D at AS "_" got all U's on my biology exams even though i thought it went well "_" probly my answers werent specific enough to markschemes. then i got a U in Maths(AS). I kinda had a **** year though with loved ones passing away and i had to have surgery on my spine after being diagnosed with a tumour in my spine , so i was in a back brace while doing my january modules and ofc i got E's and U's lolz so ended up retaking all of em giving me 9 exams for the summer :/ I'm hoping i can turn it around next year, though its gunna be my 3rd year which kinda sucks but hopefully i can smash A-level maths as i have been given the oppotunity to do AS and A2 next year and get a A/B in physics and be off to uni to do Chemistry :smile: Though im not too sure if i should redo some modules to bump my C in chem to a B because all the exams are in the summer so it will be really intense lol.
Yeah, it seems harsh this year; many of my friends were utterly disappointed by what they got, I was only satisfied by my grades and need to pull them up.
OCR MEI maths was a bitch this year especially if you took the D1 module in June
Original post by pessimist
Yep, I got all C's and I've literally got no idea what to do now.

Were your modules consistently C grades or did you have a couple of bad ones. I'd recommend continuing into year 13 but start studying for your AS modules ASAP so that by the time you start school you would've at least covered some of the modules which let you down. You'd be surprised with how much you can get done in a day if you really put your mind to it and work smartly.

This is a risky approach however and it may copmpletely backfire. It would only work if you have good time management and if you can grasp concepts fairly quickly.

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest