The Student Room Group

Help, dilemma! Which one?? Nottingham or Oxford Brookes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
also, is Nottingham safe to walk around the city centre by yourself? Or is it as dodgy as everyone makes out!?
Reply 21
Original post by arty
what like London black cabs!? Does Nottingham have taxis bombing around you can grab like London!?

Also, have you decided to live on the Beeston side in your second year ? Is that the most convenient place for humanities people to live?

Haha yeah, we have them in Manchester too! It's not just a London thing. But yeah, basically the same, except they're green in Notts.
No I'm living in Lenton. Not many people really choose to live in Beeston (although I do know a few). It's a lot quieter student-wise. Although you're right, it is close to humanities. But, like I said, my lectures are spread across campus so it's not really a big issue to live in Lenton.
In terms of whether it's 'safe'; it's a city! you always have to be careful, wherever you are. I've never seen anything to show me why Nottingham has the reputation, but then I'm always careful. You know, the stuff you're mum tells you - stay with you're friends etc etc. I definitely haven't found it to be any worse than any other city I've been in. So please don't let that reputation affect you're choice

EDIT: if you mean is it safe walking round by yourself during the day then definitely
Reply 22
Original post by kec
Haha yeah, we have them in Manchester too! It's not just a London thing. But yeah, basically the same, except they're green in Notts.
No I'm living in Lenton. Not many people really choose to live in Beeston (although I do know a few). It's a lot quieter student-wise. Although you're right, it is close to humanities. But, like I said, my lectures are spread across campus so it's not really a big issue to live in Lenton.
In terms of whether it's 'safe'; it's a city! you always have to be careful, wherever you are. I've never seen anything to show me why Nottingham has the reputation, but then I'm always careful. You know, the stuff you're mum tells you - stay with you're friends etc etc. I definitely haven't found it to be any worse than any other city I've been in. So please don't let that reputation affect you're choice

EDIT: if you mean is it safe walking round by yourself during the day then definitely

ahahah we don't have them in Devon! I couldn't believe how efficient and painless London transport was when I lived up there. Apart from the madness of rush hour - it was a joy to get around! I always imagined Nottingham to be fairly like Exeter. I've heard a couple of people say it's similar.
Reply 23
Original post by arty
ahahah we don't have them in Devon! I couldn't believe how efficient and painless London transport was when I lived up there. Apart from the madness of rush hour - it was a joy to get around! I always imagined Nottingham to be fairly like Exeter. I've heard a couple of people say it's similar.

Well as I've never been to Exeter, unfortunately I can't tell you if that's true or not. I was actually surprised at the city itself. It isn't that big but there's waay more stuff than I assumed there would be. There's nothing that I really think is missing, even coming from a city that's much bigger.

So what are you thinking decision wise now? Any closer to a choice?
Reply 24
Original post by kec
Well as I've never been to Exeter, unfortunately I can't tell you if that's true or not. I was actually surprised at the city itself. It isn't that big but there's waay more stuff than I assumed there would be. There's nothing that I really think is missing, even coming from a city that's much bigger.

So what are you thinking decision wise now? Any closer to a choice?

Thanks - that's reassuring. The whole uni package at Nottingham seems amazing - everybody seems to have a great time. I'm just worried that if I didn't settle into the student bubble life well - I'm pretty far from home! Nottingham was my unconditional firm - so at the moment I am definitely going there! But I am going to visit this week - so hopefully be able to make a final decision and then I have my OB offer as backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by ElChapo
Soas, York, Birmingham, Buckingham and Sussex is what I remember, make a search yourself though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I also have an offer from Cardiff - for Journalism. Not my first choice course though (but the uni seems great and it's closer than Nottingham and Oxford). Would you say Cardiff has the same rep as Nottingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nottingham, obviously.
Reply 27
Original post by arty
Thanks - that's reassuring. The whole uni package at Nottingham seems amazing - everybody seems to have a great time. I'm just worried that if I didn't settle into the student bubble life well - I'm pretty far from home! Nottingham was my unconditional firm - so at the moment I am definitely going there! But I am going to visit this week - so hopefully be able to make a final decision and then I have my OB offer as backup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck with the choice! Just go with where you feel happiest and you'll have a great 3 years I'm, sure :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by kec
Good luck with the choice! Just go with where you feel happiest and you'll have a great 3 years I'm, sure :smile:

`Thanks! which halls were you in? I've just been allocated! :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by arty
`Thanks! which halls were you in? I've just been allocated! :smile:

Willoughby, just across from humanities and Lenton Grove. Where have you been allocated?
Reply 30
Original post by kec
Willoughby, just across from humanities and Lenton Grove. Where have you been allocated?

Florence Boot! Is it a good hall?
I have got a single study - are the rooms tiny?
Reply 31
Original post by arty
Florence Boot! Is it a good hall?
I have got a single study - are the rooms tiny?

ah just across from willo! convenient for humanities. you'll probably spend a lot of time in the willoughby canteen or the mix for lunch then, as that's the closest lunch canteen. Flo Bo itself is such a lovely building, but I haven't actually ever been inside so I can't give you much info on the hall itself. Got a couple of friends who lived there though and they seemed more than happy. You've got a big field out the back and I think a basketball court (might be wrong there) and you're closest to the lake out of all the halls. I'm sure you'll love it :smile:
Just finished first year at Notts. I loved it, and im sure you will too (should you choose to go). Feel free to ask any questions :smile:

Also Flo-bo is a great hall, its the smallest hall so its arguably easier to meet friends. You also have the nicest bar on campus in my opinion. Also youre by west entrance so near to beeston so can easily walk to tesco, sainsburys, whsmith, local pubs, etc. Also theres a cash point in broadgate park 5 mins away (saves walking to portland building), and also nearby bus stops into town!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Oxford Brookes. Might trick some people later by saying that you have graduated from university in Oxford. :wink:
Reply 34
Original post by ElChapo
I think having cold feet is normal before moving into university, especially when going far. If you think strongly that you won't fit in/enjoy your time at nottingham don't go there, I had an offer from them but felt I wouldn't enjoy myself there, I almost picked it just because it was in the Russell Group. Like you said you will be out there for 3 years so best to go somewhere you'll enjoy.

Which university are you currently studying at?
Reply 35
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Which university are you currently studying at?

Going to study at Loughborough this october :biggrin:
Reply 36
Original post by ElChapo
Going to study at Loughborough this october :biggrin:

Well done. :smile: Loughborough seems to be a popular choice in my school. What course?
Reply 37
Well done. :smile: Loughborough seems to be a popular choice in my school. What course?

Chemical Engineering, and yeah its a nice place - take a look there sometime, I know they are good for Engineering and Sports
Reply 38
Original post by ElChapo
Chemical Engineering, and yeah its a nice place - take a look there sometime, I know they are good for Engineering and Sports

Yes, I knew that Loughborough was good for technological courses. Anyways, I already got a place at another university and going this September to study Biomedicine.
Reply 39
Yes, I knew that Loughborough was good for technological courses. Anyways, I already got a place at another university and going this September to study Biomedicine.

Oh cool, where you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest