The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chocoholic_x
Are people generally waiting to buy most of the books on their reading list until we're at Cambridge to hopefully get them cheaper second-hand? Or have people bought all theirs already or are planning to before term starts? :smile:

I was just thinking this! What subject are you going in for? I'm worried about being behind haha :confused:
Original post by Oromis263
I managed to get a couple really cheaply on amazon marketplace, but for the majority of them I'll just wait. As far as I know, the books on my reading list are just recommended texts to introduce you to the subject well before you go up, rather than textbooks etc for use whilst there. May be wrong for other subjects though. :smile:S

Original post by shamika
Unless you are sure that the book is a set text for your courses and you definitely want your own copy, I would wait - your college should have enough copies of the really important stuff so you don't need to buy. Even if you decide you do want to buy, definitely browse first - different people will like different books and so you want to be sure you're making the right decision.

Thank you, I think I'll wait. :smile: I'm pretty sure the reading list I've been sent is just the recommended books to gain good background knowledge. Plus, luckily I already had one of the books on the list sitting on my shelf and having just started reading that, I'm not sure I'll finish it any time soon - small font and over 1000 pages long!
Original post by catface1994
I was just thinking this! What subject are you going in for? I'm worried about being behind haha :confused:

Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. :smile: How about you? I have the same worries! I just expect to turn up and for all the people on my course to know so much more than me.
Are people generally waiting to buy most of the books on their reading list until we're at Cambridge to hopefully get them cheaper second-hand? Or have people bought all theirs already or are planning to before term starts? :smile:

I think I'm gonna have a look in Heffers when I go to Cambridge on Thursday!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3664
Original post by hogwartian1993

I wouldn't buy anything! the Jesuan library is ridiculously well stocked :tongue:
Original post by hogwartian1993

Sorry, what's Heffers? :colondollar: But have fun at Cambridge! I haven't been since the interviews and I think I'm developing withdrawal symptoms.
Sorry, what's Heffers? :colondollar: But have fun at Cambridge! I haven't been since the interviews and I think I'm developing withdrawal symptoms.

A rather nice bookshop, that actually stocks academic texts unlike waterstones. :biggrin:
A rather nice bookshop, that actually stocks academic texts unlike waterstones. :biggrin:

Ah, awesome. :smile: Do you know if it's very expensive? I might make regular trips to there if not.
Ah, awesome. :smile: Do you know if it's very expensive? I might make regular trips to there if not.

More so than the internet, I guess. I tend to go in there, scout out some good looking titles then when I get home check eBay and amazon marketplace to see if I can get them second hand. :tongue:
More so than the internet, I guess. I tend to go in there, scout out some good looking titles then when I get home check eBay and amazon marketplace to see if I can get them second hand. :tongue:

Haha, sounds like a good plan. :biggrin: I did that at a literature festival I went to last summer as the amount they charged you for the books when you were there were pretty extortionate! :eek: Though, it did mean I missed out on signings...
Just bought myself a Trinity Hall scarf from Ryder & Amies. A scarf is the thing that makes this all seem real! :tongue:
Original post by not_a_dog
Just bought myself a Trinity Hall scarf from Ryder & Amies. A scarf is the thing that makes this all seem real! :tongue:

Don't you find them terribly itchy? I was going to get one but I'd end up scratching my neck like a dog. :nope:
Anyone here off to Fitz for Geography?
Original post by camaieu
Don't you find them terribly itchy? I was going to get one but I'd end up scratching my neck like a dog. :nope:

I'm well used to the feeling of wool after five years of woollen jumpers in high school :P It's the sort of thing you get used to after wearing for a while!

Haha, good timing then it seems. :biggrin: And yes, I'm elated! I had convinced myself that I wasn't going to get in. And now I have, at a college I think I prefer to Magdalene also!
Yes, yesterday I still thought I was living in a dream with all the roller-coaster of emotions I've had, I wasn't quite sure whether I could trust myself to get truly happy. But now, it has started to sink in like you said, especially since I checked UCAS and they'd changed my offer to unconditional and that really set it in stone for me. :h:
Ha, that's funny! I think I may have asked you this before but what are you planning for your gap year?
Aw, well I'm privileged that I was your first. I assume you've seen the new Sherlock trailer? :tongue:

I've got a volunteering placement with an organisation called City Year London - they do amazing work supporting kids in schools in disadvantaged areas. Starting next week :biggrin:
Yes I have seen the trailer, although I was disappointed by how short it was...just long enough to register that John looks silly with a moustache! :tongue:
Original post by Comanche13
Thanks very much for your kind words, so many nice people on TSR.

You're very welcome. It's a nice atmosphere :smile:
Original post by NickM323
Wow I was exactly the same - natsci biological after being pooled - we probably had our pool interviews on the same day!! you weren't the guy I chatted to on the stairs after you'd finished your interview were you??? what offer did you get?

Sorry I've only just seen this! Maybe I was! I bumped into someone straight after leaving the interview room though so it might not have been me. My offer was 41 (IB) with a 7 in Biology, 7 in Chemistry, and 7 in SL Maths and then a 6 in Spanish or Philosophy.
Original post by xxfieryangelxx
Ah nice :biggrin:

Tbh, I think most of us feel like we did badly in the interview. I was honestly NOT expecting an offer after the debacle that was my interview but I guess I got lucky. :smile:
I was looking at Corpus as well! But I decided not to apply there as my best friend applied to Corpus at Oxford and I thought it'd be a bit weird if we both ended up at a Corpus. :redface:
Have you noticed that Corpus and Sidney have rather similar architecture for the main courts?

Btw, sorry (I'm not sure why, but I feel the need to apologise about this) about the typing fail earlier; literally JUST noticed it. It's a bit annoying posting from phones :colondollar: I'm also a bit pedantic about that kind of thing.

How did your results go? Will I be seeing you this October?
Psychological and Behavioural Sciences. :smile: How about you? I have the same worries! I just expect to turn up and for all the people on my course to know so much more than me.

Law :smile: I'm getting nervous now!
Original post by Emmav123
Northwestern Illinois?

Yep, that Northwestern! GO 'CATS! We're doing really well at American football this year, so excited to go to the games :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending