The Student Room Group

Debenhams Stockroom Movement Assistant Xmas Temp

Hey, I have the assessment day at Debenhams next Thursday for stockroom movement assistant. I'm just wondering if anyone has been to one of these recently and can tell me what to expect? I've read a lot about the sales advisor ones but nothing much on the stockroom ones so any info would be good and I get quite panicky at these sorta things haha! Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll reply to you in here to keep this thread up the top so hopefully we'll get an answer.

It's horrible having nearly a week to prepare and not having a clue what to actually prepare for. :frown: Are you there at 10:30 too, or do you have a later one? I think not wanting to get up at 6am and travel there would be a good enough reason to reschedule, but I'm sure it will look good on you. I'm also at MMU but decided to stick around over summer and send out job applications. I'm back home soon due to a gap in rent dates, and I am so thankful all of the interviews will be over by then, because I would not want to travel back for it.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows roughly how many people they take through to the second interviews or hire for this role?
Reply 2
I think I just stumbled across an answer.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/Debenhams-Interview-RVW2740341.htm

It looks like the customer service activity is for all roles.
Reply 3
Original post by Muffie
I think I just stumbled across an answer.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Interview/Debenhams-Interview-RVW2740341.htm

It looks like the customer service activity is for all roles.

Ahh okay, it's just difficult as that is 2 years ago so it could have changed, someone on here must have had a more recent one?? I hate worrying about this stuff ! It's a lot just for a temp job
Reply 4
Original post by smclellan91
Ahh okay, it's just difficult as that is 2 years ago so it could have changed, someone on here must have had a more recent one?? I hate worrying about this stuff ! It's a lot just for a temp job

Whoops. I was looking at the edited date :s-smilie:

There's gotta be full time staff out there who've been interviewed recently at least. I get the feeling we've applied for one of the earliest postings for the temp stockroom jobs. Hopefully that means we're the first batch and there's a good few jobs up for grabs. That's what I've been telling myself :wink:
Reply 5
Just had my phone interview - went really well! The interviewer seemed really impressed and invited me to the assessment day straight after it finished! When do you guys have your assessment day? I've got mine on Thursday, if you have yours before that then I'd be really grateful if you could tell me what it involved, and if mine is before yours then I can do the same for you two :smile:
Reply 6
I'm in at 10:30am on Thursday.
Reply 7
Hey, I have the assessment day at Debenhams next Thursday for stockroom movement assistant. I'm just wondering if anyone has been to one of these recently and can tell me what to expect? I've read a lot about the sales advisor ones but nothing much on the stockroom ones so any info would be good and I get quite panicky at these sorta things haha! Thank you

Original post by Muffie
I'll reply to you in here to keep this thread up the top so hopefully we'll get an answer.

It's horrible having nearly a week to prepare and not having a clue what to actually prepare for. :frown: Are you there at 10:30 too, or do you have a later one? I think not wanting to get up at 6am and travel there would be a good enough reason to reschedule, but I'm sure it will look good on you. I'm also at MMU but decided to stick around over summer and send out job applications. I'm back home soon due to a gap in rent dates, and I am so thankful all of the interviews will be over by then, because I would not want to travel back for it.

I'm also wondering if anyone knows roughly how many people they take through to the second interviews or hire for this role?

Original post by NiallD
Just had my phone interview - went really well! The interviewer seemed really impressed and invited me to the assessment day straight after it finished! When do you guys have your assessment day? I've got mine on Thursday, if you have yours before that then I'd be really grateful if you could tell me what it involved, and if mine is before yours then I can do the same for you two :smile:

Which stores have you guys got your assessment days?
I've got mine in the Birmingham Bullring.
Reply 8
Original post by Nerd2
Which stores have you guys got your assessment days?
I've got mine in the Birmingham Bullring.

smclellan91 and I are for the Manchester one. When are you in for yours?
Reply 9
Original post by Muffie

I have found this on another thread about the stockroom job from last year, so I'm hoping its for that role (although they don't actually say). If it is like this it should be pretty ok! Also random but does anyone know how I can write on a separate line?! The enter key just doesn't work, baffling me... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ''Right the recruitment event went like this:
There was around 12 of us, we sat around a table and worked in groups of 3. We had to make a flowchart and present it saying who are Debenhams competitors and what makes Debenhams different to its competitors?
Make sure you name all the different clubs they have, ie. Beauty club, wedding planner, personal shopper, and all the different store cards they have.
Then we were given 2 lists, one was a list of 7 people, it mentioned their ages and what they were into, ie sports, parties, theatres etc. And the second list was brand names like Rocha, Jasper conran etc. And we had to match the type of person to the most probable brand that would suit them.
Then we were separated into groups of 3 again and were taken to different departments on the shop floor. We had to point out good things about that department and bad things, and put down recommendations on a piece of paper.
Last thing was 1-1 interview, and that was rather informal, couple of questions like: Why do you want to work for Debenhams? What would you class as a good day at work? (Make sure you say getting on with colleagues as well as good customer services)
That was mainly it. Can't think of anything else that got said! Good luck :-)''
Reply 10
Original post by Muffie

I have found this on another thread about the stockroom job from last year, so I'm hoping its for that role (although they don't actually say). If it is like this it should be pretty ok! Also random but does anyone know how I can write on a separate line?! The enter key just doesn't work, baffling me... >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ''Right the recruitment event went like this:
There was around 12 of us, we sat around a table and worked in groups of 3. We had to make a flowchart and present it saying who are Debenhams competitors and what makes Debenhams different to its competitors?
Make sure you name all the different clubs they have, ie. Beauty club, wedding planner, personal shopper, and all the different store cards they have.
Then we were given 2 lists, one was a list of 7 people, it mentioned their ages and what they were into, ie sports, parties, theatres etc. And the second list was brand names like Rocha, Jasper conran etc. And we had to match the type of person to the most probable brand that would suit them.
Then we were separated into groups of 3 again and were taken to different departments on the shop floor. We had to point out good things about that department and bad things, and put down recommendations on a piece of paper.
Last thing was 1-1 interview, and that was rather informal, couple of questions like: Why do you want to work for Debenhams? What would you class as a good day at work? (Make sure you say getting on with colleagues as well as good customer services)
That was mainly it. Can't think of anything else that got said! Good luck :-)''

I'm very fortunate to have managed to get interviews at both the Birmingham Bullring and Birmingham Fort store, I could actually work at both places as one of them is on weekdays and the other is only weekends, should I do that, or is it stupid to work for the same store in two different locations?

Thank you for the post smclellan91, I didn't expect the recruitment day to be that complex, it sounds just as worse as the Selfridges recruitment day. The only thing giving me hope is that, I have worked in a similar role before (stockroom assistant at Next), also I am very knowledgeable about brands, but my mind turns to mush in interviews.

Good Luck :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
""

I can't help with the enter issue, but I've definitely read another post somewhere that described the same designer match up activity, so I may be able to locate that. I had no idea what role it was for, but now that you've posted that, I'm seeing the link to the stock side of things. It's not a bad sounding activity, and it's definitely one where you can stand out by doing the right research. If we get to pick teams, I wouldn't mind working with you, knowing that we've both done our hwk :wink:

Original post by Nerd2
""

If the hours don't cross then there's no reason not to, unless one can give you the other shifts as well. Only problem I can see you maybe having is if they want all temps in for any compulsory days around Christmas- xmas eve/ boxing day/ new years etc.
Reply 12
Original post by Muffie
I can't help with the enter issue, but I've definitely read another post somewhere that described the same designer match up activity, so I may be able to locate that. I had no idea what role it was for, but now that you've posted that, I'm seeing the link to the stock side of things. It's not a bad sounding activity, and it's definitely one where you can stand out by doing the right research. If we get to pick teams, I wouldn't mind working with you, knowing that we've both done our hwk :wink:

If the hours don't cross then there's no reason not to, unless one can give you the other shifts as well. Only problem I can see you maybe having is if they want all temps in for any compulsory days around Christmas- xmas eve/ boxing day/ new years etc.

Just got off the phone to the Bullring store, they said due to flexibility I could only work at one store, so I chose the other store because they had more hours.
Btw, what were the advertised hours for your store? mine was 16hrs.
Reply 13
Original post by Nerd2
Just got off the phone to the Bullring store, they said due to flexibility I could only work at one store, so I chose the other store because they had more hours.
Btw, what were the advertised hours for your store? mine was 16hrs.

If I remember correctly, people have said in the past that only full time staff are excluded from working the majority of the extra Christmas days, so that would be my guess. But on the other hand, at least they're expecting us to work outside of our normal hours. I think mine was only about 8-12hrs, so overtime would be wonderful.
Reply 14
I don't suppose anyone's had their pre-assessment e-mail yet?
Reply 15
Original post by Muffie

Is it the Debenhams on market street you're going to??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Is it the Debenhams on market street you're going to??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep

10:30am at the lingerie counter. Don't tell me you're at the trafford centre.
Reply 17
Original post by Muffie
Yep

10:30am at the lingerie counter. Don't tell me you're at the trafford centre.

no haha thought i'd better check because my best friend rang me saying they'd rang her for a telephone interview and I got really excited till she said she was at Trafford! I don't even think I remember seeing any for Trafford, hers is sales advisor too which I also don't remember seeing? I could be wrong but my memories usually good ha
Reply 18
no haha thought i'd better check because my best friend rang me saying they'd rang her for a telephone interview and I got really excited till she said she was at Trafford! I don't even think I remember seeing any for Trafford, hers is sales advisor too which I also don't remember seeing? I could be wrong but my memories usually good ha

Last time I looked there were hundreds of listings up across their uk stores, and I definitely don't remember them being there when I applied. If I don't get this job I may apply to one at Trafford if there are any still going, but the buses would be the death of me.

On a side note, I just dyed my hair (accidentally jet black???) and I was so paranoid that today would be the day I'd get one of those severe allergic reactions. Not today, ammonia :cool:
Reply 19
Original post by Muffie
Last time I looked there were hundreds of listings up across their uk stores, and I definitely don't remember them being there when I applied. If I don't get this job I may apply to one at Trafford if there are any still going, but the buses would be the death of me.

On a side note, I just dyed my hair (accidentally jet black???) and I was so paranoid that today would be the day I'd get one of those severe allergic reactions. Not today, ammonia :cool:

Every time I do my roots I panic about that haha! Are you nervous for Thursday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending