The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
My daughter is from China, here are my Questions:
1.Please give me some advice for her University and Course
2.Does she have a chance to get into Cambridge/LSE?

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*

University and Course:
Cambridge Land Economy
LSE Mathematics and Economics
UCL Economics
Wawick Ecnomics
Bath Ecnomics
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by lynnny8
With these predicted grades you'd definitely get in Bristol and Exeter. I think you'd still have a shot for UCL and LSE, but might not do for Oxbridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really.

Original post by Polypocus
GCSE's : 4A*'s 8A's + Function Maths qualification
AS Results : AAAA (Maths, Chemistry, Economics, Psychology)
Predicted : A* A* A* (AS FM being taken up, should score an A in that as well hopefully)

Was deciding between : Oxford, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Durham, Lancaster.

Whaddya guys think?

Best chances are cambridge, Durham, Bristol, Bath, Exter perhaps UCL.

Oxford, LSE and Warwick tend to take people with gcses a fair bit better than yours ~8+A*s
Original post by Maat
Places you would consider (assume a good personal statement and references)
GCSE'S - 2A* 7A 2B
AS Results - AABB -(maths A biology A chemistry B art and design B)
Prediction - A*A*A (maths A* biology A* Chemistry A) + AS further maths being taken up in year 13
was thinking Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Exeter etc. (is UCL, LSE, Oxbridge out of my league)

i'd say you had a shot at UCL ! but i dunno for sure , hopefully someone else can confirm :smile:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
To everyone here, LSE does actually check UMS. The question was asked at the open day and the lady herself said they send you a questionnaire for you to fill out with each module.

And you need at least 90?

Also, do you know what other universities do?

Original post by Anonymous1717
And you need at least 90?

Also, do you know what other universities do?

I spoke to a lady from undergrad admissions today and she didn't specify any number. I'm sure she wasn't going to be drawn in to doing so. From this it's pretty clear that there isn't a certain amount but if you think about it, most Cambridge applicants will have 90%+ and they would also be applying to LSE.

One of the students there said she had some 90s and some 50s. So it's tough to say. I think as long as you're not getting 80% in everything and barely scraping it then you should be fine.

Also Bristol also ask for UMS apparently. Here's an email from them, the first bit is just regarding me, so you can ignore that bit:

Thank you for your email. Yes, we will take this information in to
consideration when we receive your application. Therefore it is imperative
that you ask your referee to mention your mitigating circumstances in your
reference. Alternatively, you can make us aware of this yourself in your
personal statement.

We will take UMS scores in to consideration for our Economics programmes.
We typically require A*AA including grade A in Mathematics (for A-levels
other than Cambridge International Examinations, this must include AA in
modules (Pure) Core Mathematics 3 and 4).

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Hannah O'Loughlin
Social Sciences Admissions
University of Bristol
[email protected]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Maat
Places you would consider (assume a good personal statement and references)
GCSE'S - 2A* 7A 2B
AS Results - AABB -(maths A biology A chemistry B art and design B)
Prediction - A*A*A (maths A* biology A* Chemistry A) + AS further maths being taken up in year 13
was thinking Bristol, Notts, Leeds, Exeter etc. (is UCL, LSE, Oxbridge out of my league)

As others have said, you'd definitely get in to Bristol with those predictions (if they are what your predictions will be).
Original post by NedStark

Also Bristol also ask for UMS apparently. Here's an email from them, the first bit is just regarding me, so you can ignore that bit:

[email protected]

Interesting to here that about Bristol as I was under the impression that they didn't (going off of what Economics admissions person told me on the open day. Hopefully they will still give offers to almost everyone predicted 2 A*'s or more...
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks
Original post by Ess R Kay
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

short answer - Yes.
Original post by robin1125
Interesting to here that about Bristol as I was under the impression that they didn't (going off of what Economics admissions person told me on the open day. Hopefully they will still give offers to almost everyone predicted 2 A*'s or more...

i presume the 2A* thing will only apply if your UMS at AS level looks realistic enough for that A*. so if you've got atleast 85% in a subject , or you have sufficient reasoning for an A* prediction ( for example got 95% in one module at AS and then a C/D in the other which was a completely out-of-sync mark ) then Bristol will make you the offer.
Original post by bill96

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*

University and Course:
Cambridge Land Economy
UCL Economics
Wawick Ecnomics
Bath Ecnomics

Please make sure your daughter knows what Land Economy is. It's not the same as Economics and she shouldn't be choosing it because it's simply easier to get in.

As for the grades, they are pretty stellar.
Original post by bill96

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*

University and Course:
Cambridge Land Economy
UCL Economics
Wawick Ecnomics
Bath Ecnomics

I would agree with the person who said if your daughter wants to study economics, don't apply to land economy. Cambridge will depend on interview but I would be pretty certain your daughter will get into LSE. Firstly LSE generally prefer foreign applicants, last time I checked its economics course was 60% foreign (this may have changed), secondly your daughters grades are exceptional even for LSE/Cambridge applicants.
Reply 632
Hey Guys, I'm really interested in applying to Kings to read Politics of the International Economy. Assuming I write my personal statement really well, will they consider me?
GCSE's: 4 A*'s, 5 A's 1 B
AS Level: AACC
Predicted: A*AB
the entry requirement for the course is AAA.. Would they willing to overlook that?
I've done sooooo much to try and fit into this course! I went all the way to a random city to attend Kings' summer school that taught this same course. Ie read a lot of books and I've done work experience, MUN, Charities, I tutor kids and peers.
Do you think Kings will overlook my "not so special" grades for this? :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 633
PS sorry about spelling errors. Hate typing on an iPhone lol. "Will they *Be willing to.." And "I've*"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 634
Thanks for your reply. But it is so difficult for a Chinese applicants. To get an offer of economics in Cambridge or LSE. My daughter study Land Economy by website and like it.
Original post by bill96
Thanks for your reply. But it is so difficult for a Chinese applicants. To get an offer of economics in Cambridge or LSE. My daughter study Land Economy by website and like it.

If she is interested in ENVIRONMENT, LAW, and ECONOMICS then by all means apply for it.
Original post by robin1125

I applied to Bristol last year and they did not ask me for UMS. Don't know anything about the 2A* thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NedStark
I spoke to a lady from undergrad admissions today and she didn't specify any number. I'm sure she wasn't going to be drawn in to doing so. From this it's pretty clear that there isn't a certain amount but if you think about it, most Cambridge applicants will have 90%+ and they would also be applying to LSE.

One of the students there said she had some 90s and some 50s. So it's tough to say. I think as long as you're not getting 80% in everything and barely scraping it then you should be fine.

Thank you for your email. Yes, we will take this information in to
consideration when we receive your application. Therefore it is imperative
that you ask your referee to mention your mitigating circumstances in your
reference. Alternatively, you can make us aware of this yourself in your
personal statement.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind regards,

Hannah O'Loughlin
Social Sciences Admissions
University of Bristol
[email protected]

Thanks that's useful to know. My problem is I have some quite high marks in maths and fm but not in one of the economics papers. :/ Oh well, I'll probably just discuss with my school, thanks for the info. :smile:
Reply 638
Hey guys I got a B in Economics AS ... Just wanted to know if that will put me at a serious disadvantage when it comes to apply..
Original post by Smko
Hey guys I got a B in Economics AS ... Just wanted to know if that will put me at a serious disadvantage when it comes to apply..

I dont think it will disadvantage you too badly as economics at undergrad level is very different from A level, if it was that important to have an A then surely it would be compulsory to take it at A level?
I recon as long as you have an A in maths AS and high predictions you should still have just as good of a shot as if it was in any other subject...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending