The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by frazer151
Well, compared to many my grades suck. But ahh well. And yea, but I plan on moving to Japan after University, so I wan't to have about 3/4 years of Japanese by the time of get there. I plan on doing Computer Science.

Not as bad as some though lets think that :tongue:. Ah awesome - I'm definitely going to visit Japan either after or during the university years. and again great choice :colone: I personally plan on studying maths at degree level
Original post by lilGem
I applied last year and will be going to university this year (I posted regularly on here last year :colondollar:)

I did anatomy and physiology workshops- involved dissections, tutored in biology, did some work experience in clinical settings and the oceanography center, CSLA, organised a fundraising event and played lacrosse for the regional team that's off the top of my head :redface:

Ahhh right! Which university are you going to? I'm assuming you're doing Biology!

Original post by Epic Flawless
I feel like I don't have much room to put ECs in my personal statement but I've mentioned my volunteering, my entry into an essay competition where I was shortlisted, LSE open lectures that I attended, reading that I've done, work experience at JPMorgan, participation at a debating competition, sports (in the chess and rugby team). I actually have a DofE silver but it isn't spectular/relevant enough to be mentioned? How about you?

Oooh, mine is mainly based around my sport so far (Modern Pentathlon), which I have represented Great Britain at twice! Aside from that, I've got Captain of my swim club, Level 1 Swim Teaching certificate, Young Enterprise and Duke of Edinburgh Silver (which I have included :wink: )
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Fair enough :tongue: although from my experience, mums know nothing about suits :tongue:

I take it you're planning on applying there as well :biggrin:

I detect a hint of sarcasm here :wink:

my mum is pretty good as she has to deal with my dad who works for a bank so he has to wear one everyday :lol:
Can anyone suggest some EC things relating to Geography? Here are some ideas I've got so far:

- Join RGS or other societies
- Read a load of complicated books
- HELP???
Original post by furryface12
Ok, so for the time being we have a free health service... better than nothing :tongue:

Haha nice :biggrin: Plans for next 2 weeks?
Reply 1065
Original post by AwkwardLemur
Ahhh right! Which university are you going to? I'm assuming you're doing Biology!

I am indeed :h:

Going to UEA, but also received offers from Exeter, Sheffield, Oxford Brookes and withdrew from QUB :redface:
Original post by Robbie242
Not as bad as some though lets think that :tongue:. Ah awesome - I'm definitely going to visit Japan either after or during the university years. and again great choice :colone: I personally plan on studying maths at degree level

Problem with maths for me is that I enjoy applying things I learnt to practical purposes, for instance programming a game. So learning pure maths would bore me to death. What is it about maths that you enjoy? Though I would imagine it becomes way more applied at University level.
Can anyone suggest some EC things relating to Geography? Here are some ideas I've got so far:

- HELP???

EPQ?
What course you're going to apply for: American Studies and English
Your AS subjects (and grades if you like): English Literature, Media and Geography
Your A2 subjects (and predicted/actual grades if you want to): English Literature, Media and Geography
What universities you're thinking of applying to and their decisions (when it comes to that): Nottingham, Birmingham, Portsmouth, Derby and Swansea
Original post by techno836
my mum is pretty good as she has to deal with my dad who works for a bank so he has to wear one everyday :lol:

Makes more sense I guess :tongue: my mum has no input tbh, she's just there to pay for it :lol:
EPQ?

Our school doesn't offer EPQ at all :s-smilie: is there another way of doing it somehow?
Problem with maths for me is that I enjoy applying things I learnt to practical purposes, for instance programming a game. So learning pure maths would bore me to death. What is it about maths that you enjoy? Though I would imagine it becomes way more applied at University level.

You can apply pure maths (especially vectors and matrices in general to programming a game). Most of pure maths is quite useful when it is applied, e.g. integration, differentiation and Prime numbers are actually quite useful in various different fields.
All of it honestly - the proof aspect, the satisfaction of reaching a solution, that its genuinely fun, logical and important in society. Yeah I don't have an idea yet but I still see many of the a-level basics completely explored in depth and new concepts such as groups and sets as well so its a different playing field basically.
Our school doesn't offer EPQ at all :s-smilie: is there another way of doing it somehow?

Maybe you could try the Google Science fair thing? Not sure.

https://www.googlesciencefair.com/en/2013/

- HELP???

Create an Eco committee at your school/college. It kinda depends on whether youre interested in physical or human, and pretty much anything can relate to human anyway :tongue:, find out about local geographical talks and listen to them
(edited 10 years ago)
Makes more sense I guess :tongue: my mum has no input tbh, she's just there to pay for it :lol:

my dad is very indecisive with clothes :lol:
Original post by techno836
my dad is very indecisive with clothes :lol:

How so?
Original post by Robbie242
You can apply pure maths (especially vectors and matrices in general to programming a game). Most of pure maths is quite useful when it is applied, e.g. integration, differentiation and Prime numbers are actually quite useful in various different fields.
All of it honestly - the proof aspect, the satisfaction of reaching a solution, that its genuinely fun, logical and important in society. Yeah I don't have an idea yet but I still see many of the a-level basics completely explored in depth and new concepts such as groups and sets as well so its a different playing field basically.

Well, whatever you enjoy is what you enjoy. Though yes, I've noticed many of my math topics being used in my programming I do for a hobby. Though in honesty, only really my mechanics, which I did in both physics and maths, so I didn't really needed to have done maths. But no, I was planning on doing physics, partially for the same reasons as you, but decided against it when I realized how dull a career in it felt to me.
Fair enough :tongue: although from my experience, mums know nothing about suits :tongue:

I take it you're planning on applying there as well :biggrin:

I detect a hint of sarcasm here :wink:

Edit: Endless, you're a bit weird eccentric aren't you? :wink: :evilbanana:

No, I think Nottingham is an awesome university. I doubt I'll apply there though because the Law faculty is notoriously stingy for degree classifications (5% 1st; 50% 2.1 only) and getting at least a 2.1 is essential in Law if you want a job afterwards. The campus though :love:

And I have no idea what you're talking about :ninja:
How so?

should I have x with y ? mum yeah that's nice .... gets to till, about to pay dad goes WAIT .. shall I have y with z

then that continues for about half an hour until mum decides she's had enough and then she picks usually :lol:
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

Latest