The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Purple_fox
Hey everyone :biggrin:
I am planning on applying for Economics or A&F this october, however, my AS results are AABB and I will retake some modules. Do I stand a chance with these grades even after a retake?

for Economics your chances at most other Uni's would be quite good , however for LSE they are VERY slim.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by ksreamlacj
Hey I applied last year for management and i'm heading there this september! I think you'll have a good chance for getting an offer, your GCSE's are about the same level as mine (4A*'s. 4A's and 3 B's), And your AS Levels are better than mine (AABC in Maths, ICT, Business and German respectively).

All you would need is a really great Personal Statement, I'd use the LSE PS guide as it is really detailed (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/generalInformation.aspx) also look at "what is looked for in a PS" thing on the bsc management admission criteria page (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/management.aspx), as this will tell you what to write.

however if you wanted to make your application stronger I would say do an EPQ, as i think it really helped me get the offer and even when i missed the offer by getting A* in Maths and B's in German and Business, the A* i got in EPQ definitely helped me to get in. IF you wanted i could send you my PS and you could PM me if you had any questions.

Hello sorry to bother you but do you mind reading my previous post and giving me some advice? It's really hard to find LSE management students. Thanks!
Original post by zamalekfan
Hello sorry to bother you but do you mind reading my previous post and giving me some advice? It's really hard to find LSE management students. Thanks!

I don't see any problems with your grades, all you really need to do is write a PS which is really good for LSE, which basically means using the links that i've put in my previous post and just follow what LSE say especially with the management page and what they look for in a PS and make it really succinct and you should be fine.
I was thinking of applying for A+F not sure about my chances though. I got ABB in Chemistry, Economics and Maths. Both Bs were gut wrenchingly close to As so my predicted grades should fulfill the entry requirements. I also got my result for A2 Business which was a B not sure if thats much use though. I was wondering whether with a good personal statement I would have a slim chance of getting an offer or whether it's a waste of one of my 5 applications? Please Help
I don't see any problems with your grades, all you really need to do is write a PS which is really good for LSE, which basically means using the links that i've put in my previous post and just follow what LSE say especially with the management page and what they look for in a PS and make it really succinct and you should be fine.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 125
I got AAABC on a level math,futher math,economics,physics and history respectively,which isn't Very good but can make sure got at least 1 A* in A2 as I already got 283/300in math and I haven't take S1exam yet.
For futher math,get 98/100 on FP1 and can make sure at least A in A2,
Economics is 160/200 which just reach a A but the predict grade is A in A2.
Physics is 201/240 which should be a A but did very bad at experiment which is physic 3X,but can retake next year and gave confidence to get aA
As I am an international student and just arrived in UK for less than 1year,I do not have GCSE results and do not get a very good marks at language based subject like history.
Will it be possible for me to get into LSE for economics as I am fairly interested in EcoEco
Original post by sherrycui
I got AAABC on a level math,futher math,economics,physics and history respectively,which isn't Very good but can make sure got at least 1 A* in A2 as I already got 283/300in math and I haven't take S1exam yet.
For futher math,get 98/100 on FP1 and can make sure at least A in A2,
Economics is 160/200 which just reach a A but the predict grade is A in A2.
Physics is 201/240 which should be a A but did very bad at experiment which is physic 3X,but can retake next year and gave confidence to get aA
As I am an international student and just arrived in UK for less than 1year,I do not have GCSE results and do not get a very good marks at language based subject like history.
Will it be possible for me to get into LSE for economics as I am fairly interested in EcoEco

Did you do any A2 modules in further maths? I think you have a good shot if you have a decent PS.
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks
Reply 128
Original post by Ess R Kay
Hey, I intend to study economics at uni and am looking at top unis like LSE, UCL, Warwick, etc.

Just wanted some advice regarding choosing my A2's - is doing economics and business as two separate A levels highly jeapordising my chances at such unis? as i have noticed some mentions stating that such a combination is looked down at by unis due to some overlapping circular?

Thanks

Yes, it does jeopardise your application.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for a management course at LSE but was surprised to see that business studies was on their "blacklist". I took business, maths, physics and chemistry at AS and got 3 As and one B in chemistry. I just want to know if keeping business next year would kill my application.
I'm applying for a management course at LSE but was surprised to see that business studies was on their "blacklist". I took business, maths, physics and chemistry at AS and got 3 As and one B in chemistry. I just want to know if keeping business next year would kill my application.

Won't kill your application but its seen as a 'softer' option I think.
Go ahead with maths, physics and chem maybe, or maybe all 4 (I've heard business studies at a2 isn't a lot of work), although Chemistry and Physics will be a lot of work.
to be honest it might kill your application, the competition is so intense that they might be forced to reject you for it. Don't give em a chance to: leave business and replace it with further maths (at least to AS level). It's not so bad to teach yourself off-timetable as I did, and it'll add much more to your application imo. Good luck!
Got my AS results back quite late: Got A in Maths, A in Physics, A in Economics and an average of a C in the FM modules I took early :frown:. Predictions will be A* Maths, A* Economics, A in Physics and probably A/B in Further Maths... contemplating dropping it down to just AS.
GCSEs are 3A*s and 8As. What do you think my chances are for the Business Mathematics and Statistics course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
keep further maths for sure, convince your teacher that you're driven to get A* in it, and he'll be forced to predict at least an A which is what you want for LSE. You'd be seriously disadvantaged without FM, considering that most people will have it and will be v good at it, notwithstanding all the international students who think FP3 is a piece of cake. Also your GCSEs are OK but you dont wanna risk not having FM for a maths course at one of the most competitive unis in the world.

Also if you want more info on LSE application process check out my post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2438022

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions, starting LSE econ this year and have been through the application process twice so I know more than my way around :smile:
Original post by abhiksetia
Won't kill your application but its seen as a 'softer' option I think.
Go ahead with maths, physics and chem maybe, or maybe all 4 (I've heard business studies at a2 isn't a lot of work), although Chemistry and Physics will be a lot of work.

only problem with chemistry is that I don't like it myself and I won't be able to get a good predicted grade in it compared to business (97% UMS average).
Original post by Mr. Jingles
to be honest it might kill your application, the competition is so intense that they might be forced to reject you for it. Don't give em a chance to: leave business and replace it with further maths (at least to AS level). It's not so bad to teach yourself off-timetable as I did, and it'll add much more to your application imo. Good luck!

I might actually do that since my school offers AS Fmaths and I might take it as an extra subject then.
Reply 136
Hey I applied last year for management and i'm heading there this september! I think you'll have a good chance for getting an offer, your GCSE's are about the same level as mine (4A*'s. 4A's and 3 B's), And your AS Levels are better than mine (AABC in Maths, ICT, Business and German respectively).

All you would need is a really great Personal Statement, I'd use the LSE PS guide as it is really detailed (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/makingAnApplication/personalStatement/generalInformation.aspx) also look at "what is looked for in a PS" thing on the bsc management admission criteria page (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/howToApply/departmentalAdmissionsCriteria2014/management.aspx), as this will tell you what to write.

however if you wanted to make your application stronger I would say do an EPQ, as i think it really helped me get the offer and even when i missed the offer by getting A* in Maths and B's in German and Business, the A* i got in EPQ definitely helped me to get in. IF you wanted i could send you my PS and you could PM me if you had any questions.

Oh wow well done! Hope I'm in your position next year to go in September...

I had a draft personal statement already but after reading the link I'm thinking I need to make some major improvements haha. The link helped a lot, thank you! Would be great if you could send me your PS- if you don't mind :smile:
I'm supposed to be doing an EPQ this year but I have no idea how to approach it, wish me luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
only problem with chemistry is that I don't like it myself and I won't be able to get a good predicted grade in it compared to business (97% UMS average).

I hated Chemistry too, so I can understand. Maybe drop Chemistry altogether, continue with Physics, Math, Business and add further maths at AS level at least (if you fasttrack it, and get good predictions, you'd have a very solid chance I think)
Reply 138
Is it a bad idea to elaborate more on my work experience as i applying for accounting and finance LSE?
Original post by Khoozy
Is it a bad idea to elaborate more on my work experience as i applying for accounting and finance LSE?

should be fine as long as your PS is in its entirety relevant to the course

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending