The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6800
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Argh I've looked at the grade boundaries for German & Spanish and I still don't feel any better about my results. I have no idea what to expect tomorrow. At the time, I felt I did well in my speaking, reading and listening for German but in Spanish, I felt my writing and speaking were poor. ARGH. Only tomorrow will tell. I really want an A*/A but I doubt I will get it. You get what you deserve, I suppose.

Don't worry! When I did my IGCSE Spanish I forgot to mention one of the points in the writing section and my listening was very bad, but I still came out with a good grade. You don't know how you did and how other people did yet, so don't lose hope! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really want an A*/A but I doubt I will get it. You get what you deserve, I suppose.

You don't always, you get what you deserve for the day which isn't always representative of your actual ability, for example I failed my German exams because I was a nervous wreck (various things were going on at the time) the first time around but second time around I was better, more confident and had no personal issues, I personally would advise you to ignore language exam results in terms of measuring your ability as what really matters is real world application not sitting in a room for an hour and half for a written exam and 10 minutes for a speaking exam, neither of which will help you in future life as they aren't natural environments.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-GRADE-BDY-JUNE-2013.PDF

French:
Reading: 33/45 = A*
Listening: 25/40 = A*

You can do it?:tongue:

Your point? *confused*

I don't really feel confident that I reached 25/40 on that listening! 18/40 maybe? I also think my Controlled Assessments were rubbish. I barely got in three or four tenses into each one..

(And the reading boundaries are generally irrelevant to me on GCSE papers...:tongue:)
Original post by AquisM
:eek: That seems quite low. Is it just this year or is it similar to most years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most years the listening A* boundary is 33-ish for June exams, but the boundary is 26-ish in January. January resit/early sitting exams have been abolished now, so I will be quite interested in what that does to next June's boundaries.
Original post by tehFrance
WTF :eek: They cannot be serious with those boundaries :redface:
*shrug*

The A-level tutor (native French-speaker) invigilated the AQA GCSE listening paper at my centre. When we'd finished, she was furious. She said it was equivalent to an AS-listening paper.

The only person who came out of that exam room feeling confident was a girl who'd lived in France for years! (She hadn't noticed any difficulty to the questions!)
Original post by AquisM
Yeah I thought so. It seemed a bit low for 53% to be an A*.

Posted from TSR Mobile

WTF :eek: They cannot be serious with those boundaries :redface:

Original post by Octopus_Garden
Your point? *confused*

I don't really feel confident that I reached 25/40 on that listening! 18/40 maybe? I also think my Controlled Assessments were rubbish. I barely got in three or four tenses into each one..

(And the reading boundaries are generally irrelevant to me on GCSE papers...:tongue:)Most years the listening A* boundary is 33-ish for June exams, but the boundary is 26-ish in January. January resit/early sitting exams have been abolished now, so I will be quite interested in what that does to next June's boundaries.

My point was... Can you score well on it?:dontknow:

Oooh I see! Must have been hard
You don't always, you get what you deserve for the day which isn't always representative of your actual ability, for example I failed my German exams because I was a nervous wreck (various things were going on at the time) the first time around but second time around I was better, more confident and had no personal issues, I personally would advise you to ignore language exam results in terms of measuring your ability as what really matters is real world application not sitting in a room for an hour and half for a written exam and 10 minutes for a speaking exam, neither of which will help you in future life as they aren't natural environments.

I agree :tongue:

I deserved an A* in English Language :mad:
Original post by AquisM
Don't worry! When I did my IGCSE Spanish I forgot to mention one of the points in the writing section and my listening was very bad, but I still came out with a good grade. You don't know how you did and how other people did yet, so don't lose hope! :biggrin:

Yes I suppose, I'm remaining optimistic. :biggrin:

Yes you are absolutely right. I won't judge the level of my Spanish or German on my exam result, as I know I have been studying over the summer and my Spanish is much better now than it was three months ago. With that in mind, my results are still important as they form part of my academic record and I obviously want that to be a good representation of my academic ability, though I completely understand your point.
My point was... Can you score well on it?:dontknow:

Oooh I see! Must have been hard
Il y a deux problèmes principals.
1) L'examen de français était difficile.
2) je ne parle pas français. Je peux lire le français seulement!
Il y a deux problèmes principals.
1) L'examen de français était difficile.
2) je ne parle pas français. Je peux lire le français seulement!

Why can't you speak it? :tongue:

J'adore le français... The way it sounds... It flows... C'est très 'joli' :mmm:

L'Espagnol aussi! Mais peux-tu écouter et comprendre le français?
Why can't you speak it? :tongue:
C'est trop difficile!

J'adore le français... The way it sounds... It flows... C'est très 'joli' :mmm:

L'espagnol aussi! Mais peux-tu écouter et comprendre le français?
Non!

Ronove has already told you to stop with those capitals!
*shrug*

The A-level tutor (native French-speaker) invigilated the AQA GCSE listening paper at my centre. When we'd finished, she was furious. She said it was equivalent to an AS-listening paper.

The only person who came out of that exam room feeling confident was a girl who'd lived in France for years! (She hadn't noticed any difficulty to the questions!)

Really? It's still rather basic French though, A1/2 to B1/2 right? I wouldn't worry about it myself and just take the DELf which I'm sure if required if you want to prove your French ability for work purposes in France although I could be wrong.

Understandable as for her, she would've grown up with French around her thus it's easier.
I agree :tongue:

I deserved an A* in English Language :mad:

:lol:
Yes you are absolutely right. I won't judge the level of my Spanish or German on my exam result, as I know I have been studying over the summer and my Spanish is much better now than it was three months ago. With that in mind, my results are still important as they form part of my academic record and I obviously want that to be a good representation of my academic ability, though I completely understand your point.

If you're that worried, take the Goethe-Institut CEFR (or Spanish equivalent) test when you reach C1/2 (fluency) and it'll be better than a GCSE/A-Level (not better than a degree studying the language and culture though) and will most likely open more doors (than GCSE/A-Level at least) within Germany (or Spain/Latin America) it's self :smile:
C'est trop difficile!

Non!

Ronove has already told you to stop with those capitals!

:no:

I swyped :lol: I don't go back to proof read:frown:
any advice for someone going into yr 11 wanting an a* in french and spanish. i have done my coursework for spansih and got all a* in all 4 but how to improve my reading adn listening skills?? any tips
:no:

I swyped :lol: I don't go back to proof read:frown:

Statistik ist so stinklangweilig! -_-
Deutsch ist jetzt alles, was ich lernen will! Lernst du mit? :wink:

oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi oi. Tootoo :grin:
Original post by thatitootoo
Statistik ist so stinklangweilig! -_-
Deutsch ist jetzt alles, was ich lernen will! Lernst du mit? :wink:

Statistics is so ....? I will learn it, be patient :tongue:
Original post by Icesk8ing97
any advice for someone going into yr 11 wanting an a* in french and spanish. i have done my coursework for spansih and got all a* in all 4 but how to improve my reading adn listening skills?? any tips

I don't think there are any " tips ", just obvious stuff .. surround yourself with French/Spanish. Listen to music in these languages, watch movies/series/TV shows, read, write down the new words in a notebook and review them once in a while, etc..
Statistics is so ....? I will learn it, be patient :tongue:

Aber ich kann nicht warten! :colone:

Und ich glaube, dass stinklangweilig "oervervelend" auf Niederländisch bedeutet. Aber ich habe keine Ahnung, was das Wort genau auf das Englisch ist! Hmm Vielleicht "so boring it drives you crazyzzaza" Aber das würde ich nicht sicher wissen!

Aber ich kann nicht warten! :colone:

Und ich glaube, dass stinklangweilig "oervervelend" auf Niederländisch bedeutet. Aber ich habe keine Ahnung, was das Wort genau auf das Englisch ist! Hmm Vielleicht "so boring it drives you crazyzzaza" Aber das würde ich nicht sicher wissen!

:colonhash:

:dontknow:
:colonhash:

:dontknow:

Is there even a word for "so boring it drives you crazyzzaza" ?
Das ist doch nicht ein Wort!

(Yes that's right, Octopus! I just said "nicht ein" instead of "kein" WEIL ICH DAS TUN KANN!) :wink:

Is there even a word for "so boring it drives you crazyzzaza" ?
Das ist doch nicht ein Wort!

(Yes that's right, Octopus! I just said "nicht ein" instead of "kein" WEIL ICH DAS TUN KANN!) :wink:

****?
Mind numbing?

Latest

Trending

Trending