The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellie xox
Leeds use more than academics though as well dont they? They take ps and reference into account along with predicted grades which I think im predicted A*A*A so if I just keep working on a really good personal statement would I be in with a chance? Ive got quite a bit of work experience and volunteering which I believe I can write a lot about. However could you suggest a place where you think I have a good chance without resitting spanish (I dont want it to impact on my A2 grades). If I take the BMAT and do well in it would I be in with a shot there? :confused:

EDIT: I checked and I meet the minnimum entry requirements of the following uni's:
Aberdeen
Dundee
Durham
Glasgow
Leeds
Leicester
Nottingham
St andrews
Sheffield
UCL

which of these would I have a competitive edge at or at least a realistic opportunity? (UKCAT = 645 avg)

There is some out-of-date info in this forum on how Leeds scored their applicants in 2012 (you needed 39/46 to get an interview, from memory) - I'm not sure anyone knows how they do it now. But it's probably still a reasonable guide about the types of candidate they are looking for. You're right that an excellent PS can make up for dropped marks in the academics section - just be sure that you respond to everything they want to know about (I clearly didn't, as they rejected me, but my PS was good enough for the others to interview me). Perhaps I was wrong to discourage you from applying there - if they are still scoring the 7 best GCSEs, your set would be reasonably competitive.

I didn't do the BMAT, so can't advise you on that, but if you've researched it and think you can get a good score, it would be worth applying to a BMAT med school. Applying to two or more would be riskier, of course.

I can't advise on every place in your list, but Nottingham gave a 48% weighting to the UKCAT for 2013 entry, and for that reason they attract a lot of applicants with UKCAT scores higher than yours (see the 2013 stalking page - link is in the wiki). They also gave a weighting to their own questionnaire last year, which is now (presumably) replaced by UKCAT's SJT, so maybe the weighting for UKCAT may be even higher this year. You shouldn't apply to Durham either - the TSR advice for them is don't apply if your UKCAT score is below 660 average. OTOH, Sheffield was very PS-heavy last year, and would be a good place for you to consider. Good luck!
Original post by sachpach
I am applying for medicine finishing my A levels in July 2014. However I have not done great in my AS levels. I got a C in my chemistry and even after remarking it is still a C. I have got two As in Biology and Maths. Which universities could I apply to and possibly have a chance of getting an offer? Thanks for the help.

You've got two problems to address with that C in Chemistry - the first is upping it to an A, and the second is getting an 'A' prediction and finding a med school that will believe it. The first is a matter of hard work - doable if you're committed. The second may be trickier, and you may need to get your A2 grades first, then apply after a gap year. Incidentally, Keele will accept applicants who get A*AB - worth considering if you can't get an A prediction for Chemistry this year. Good luck!
Original post by Pastaferian
I assume you've read the wiki article on applying while studying another course? Your overall UKCAT score of 725 is good enough to apply anywhere, even Newcastle (assuming they don't increase the threshold again - at 695 or 697.5 it is already amazingly high). I don't know how the SJT bands are used by med schools however - perhaps others can answer whether being in band 2 would have any impact on your applications.

Thanks. I've read the wiki article. I'm waiting for confirmation from Durham to know if they accept applicants who are on a different degree. Do you think cut off can increase by 30 points. The scores I see on the UKCAT thread are scary.

What med schools will you apply to?
Original post by Temmystical
Thanks. I've read the wiki article. I'm waiting for confirmation from Durham to know if they accept applicants who are on a different degree. Do you think cut off can increase by 30 points. The scores I see on the UKCAT thread are scary.
What med schools will you apply to?

My opinion - I don't think they can afford to keep increasing it, and in your shoes I would apply. Don't worry about other people's scores - those high scores are more likely to post about them :smile:

I'm not applying this year - I have a place at Sheffield. I got offers from Nottingham and Newcastle, and a rejection from Leeds (my stats are linked from my sig block).
I assume you've read the wiki article on applying while studying another course? Your overall UKCAT score of 725 is good enough to apply anywhere, even Newcastle (assuming they don't increase the threshold again - at 695 or 697.5 it is already amazingly high). I don't know how the SJT bands are used by med schools however - perhaps others can answer whether being in band 2 would have any impact on your applications.

I don't know of any medical school that's said it will use SJT at all this year.
My opinion - I don't think they can afford to keep increasing it, and in your shoes I would apply. Don't worry about other people's scores - those high scores are more likely to post about them :smile:

I'm not applying this year - I have a place at Sheffield. I got offers from Nottingham and Newcastle, and a rejection from Leeds (my stats are linked from my sig block).

Wow, that's amazing - 3 offers. Well done. And thanks for the advice. I can't see your sig. I think my settings does not allow it and I don't know how to change it.
Reply 386
Hi,

I got my AS results: ABBB - A in maths and B's in biology, chemistry and physics, if I can resit the coursework in chem and physics as I got C in chem coursework and D in physics coursework to bring those 2 subject up to A's. B in A2 maths so I have B in whole maths a level but I might resit stats/mechanics to bring it up to an A. Would I be able to get prediction of AAA in the 3 sciences?

GCSE's: 4 A* (maths and 3 sciences), 4 A's (english lang) and 3B's

I've done a week work experience in a hospital, two weeks working with disabled children and I volunteer once a week in a care home for disabled people and in a palliative care hospice (I have been volunteering in the hospice and care home for a few months now).

I have my UKCAT this thursday.

I also have bronze award in Intermediate UKMT and I also have a short story published in a young writer's anthology.

Do I have a chance of getting into medicine? And where would be wisest to apply? I'd like to go to King's or Newcastle.

Thanks.
I'm an international student from India . My grades are average. Still to sit the UKCAT. Have a fair bit of extra-curricular activities including working at a hospital for a month and teaching underprivileged kids for 2 years. How do I decide which college to apply for ?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I don't know of any medical school that's said it will use SJT at all this year.

Edinburgh have said they're going to take banding into account, ignoring SJT score, but have yet to say how they'll be using it.
Original post by aaronc789
Hi,

I got my AS results: ABBB - A in maths and B's in biology, chemistry and physics, if I can resit the coursework in chem and physics as I got C in chem coursework and D in physics coursework to bring those 2 subject up to A's. B in A2 maths so I have B in whole maths a level but I might resit stats/mechanics to bring it up to an A. Would I be able to get prediction of AAA in the 3 sciences?

I've done a week work experience in a hospital, two weeks working with disabled children and I volunteer once a week in a care home for disabled people and in a palliative care hospice (I have been volunteering in the hospice and care home for a few months now).

I also have bronze award in Intermediate UKMT and I also have a short story published in a young writer's anthology.

Do I have a chance of getting into medicine? And where would be wisest to apply? I'd like to go to King's or Newcastle.

Thanks.

Hey bud! Sure you're in with a chance - just need to get those 3 As predictions for your A2s! I'm afraid I can't really comment on Newcastle, but I know that King's like to see a high UKCAT and high number of A*s at GCSE, and a poor score in either can be compensated for by doing well in the other, so your GCSEs aren't all that great for King's, and obviously we don't know your UKCAT yet (good luck, btw :biggrin:)!

Original post by johnmandrake
I'm an international student from India . My grades are average. Still to sit the UKCAT. Have a fair bit of extra-curricular activities including working at a hospital for a month and teaching underprivileged kids for 2 years. How do I decide which college to apply for ?

Hi buddy! It's great that you've decided to study medicine in the UK, and a great place for you to start would be the wiki we've got here at TSR where we've broken down lots of information like the things to look for when choosing a medical school. Since you're an international applicant, another consideration for you might be the fees that you'd be expected to pay.

The next best thing to do is to have a look at the webpages for the medical schools you're interested in and see what their courses are like and how they teach. All medical schools in the UK meet the same standard as each other, but they can structure things and teach in very different ways! Pick one that you like! We run through all these kinds of things you'd want to consider here. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi,

Thanks.

Schools will often give you a prediction one grade above your AS results (so yes you could get a AAA prediction in 3 sciences). Equally important, med schools will probably believe them - jumping more than one grade is less plausible. However, it's be your school's decision. If you don't get an AAA prediction in 3 sciences, you could try to improve your Maths A2 grade, or else work hard, achieve AAA in 3 sciences in spite of your teachers' predictions, and then apply after a gap year. Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by johnmandrake

Hi, and welcome to TSR. There are over 30 med schools to choose from, but the process can be broken down into logical steps. I'll explain how I'd advise a UK student, but I'm afraid you'll have to figure out how your qualifications map onto British GCSE and AS exams. Don't make a final decision until after you get your UKCAT score.

Step 1: decide where you can apply. Rule out any where you don't have the right subjects or grades. Consult the wiki articles on GCSE requirements and A level requirements

Step 2: decide where you should apply. Where will your application be competitive? The wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' highlights med schools where successful candidates are likely to have very good GCSEs or AS grades or UKCAT scores. If they give credit for candidates with strings of A*s at GCSE, they will attract candidates who have such strings. Don't apply there if you don't, but do apply if you do have them.

Step 3: decide where you want to apply: Which type of course (eg, PBL) is most suitable for you? Do you like the city? etc.

HTH, and good luck!
You know when universities say eg. 640 UKCAT minimum does that mean average or in each section?
Original post by katherine96
You know when universities say eg. 640 UKCAT minimum does that mean average or in each section?

It's the average. However, some med schools do apply cutoffs to each section - these will be lower than the average.
Hi,

Thanks.

It's difficult to say without a UCKAT score. Your work experience/volunteering looks good but its all about reflecting on what you learnt and skills you developed.

I'd say Kings would be a massive gamble without an amazing UKCAT score (lets say >740) with only 4A* (those are amazing results but in the context of the KCL medicine applicant pool they won't be competitive) as they utilise a sliding scale of GCSEs and UKCAT score. I'm also not sure how KCL contextualise results if you go to low performing school (in case you did). Newcastle's cutoff will likely (in my opinion) be in the low 700s this year.

Essentially its difficult to offer advice without your UKCAT score.
Reply 394
Hi guys i got 2 A* 9A's 2 Bs at gcse and 4 A's in AS ( average UMS 87%)
I'm sooooo confused about which university to apply to so i was wondering if you guys could help me out.( which university's don't look at gcses much and a lot more at AS levels)
Thanksss
Guys does a band 4 in SJT hurt me a lot for Aberdeen or QUB?
Original post by Ashkun
Hi guys i got 2 A* 9A's 2 Bs at gcse and 4 A's in AS ( average UMS 87%)
I'm sooooo confused about which university to apply to so i was wondering if you guys could help me out.( which university's don't look at gcses much and a lot more at AS levels)
Thanksss

Take a look at the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths'. This explains which med schools to favour/avoid, depending on your UKCAT, GCSEs and AS grades. Good luck! Basically there are 3 steps:

decide where you can apply? (eg, do you have the right subjects and minimum grades?)

decide where you should apply? (where will your application be competitive? are you close to a UKCAT cutoff? etc)

decide where you'd like to apply

Good luck!
Original post by ParticlePhysics
Guys does a band 4 in SJT hurt me a lot for Aberdeen or QUB?

There seems to be very little info on how med schools will use SJT, if at all. In this forum, the only thing I've read is that Edinburgh will use SJT during the selection process, but they didn't say how. I suspect you will have to ask them directly.
Reply 398
I've been researching all day after sitting my UKCAT, and have finally narrowed down my list of universities to apply to to 5. I can't apply to a lot of them since I am already in my first year in a Bachelor degree at a university.
I would be applying as an international student as I'm from New Zealand.

The list is: Newcastle, Glasgow, King's College London, Exeter, St Andrews.
I got a UKCAT average of 800+ and got A*A*A*A in 2012 CIE A-Levels and 7A* and 1C in IGCSE (We don't really take that many IGCSE papers compared to the 10-12 GCSE papers I heard UK people take)
The thing is, I resat some AS papers and resat A-Level Maths after getting an A in 2011. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter though since when I applied to University of Edinburgh last year, they ranked me in the top third academics-wise. However, they ranked me in the bottom third extra-curricular wise. Does anybody know which university I should exclude as a result of having not that great extra-curricular? Although I hope I improved my PS from last year.

By the way, I have read the relevant wiki articles, but it's slightly unclear on this specific area from what I understand.

Thanks a lot for any help you guys can give. This website has been really helpful, for last year and this year as well. (Moved this from the sticky, as this is more relevant here)
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Redsaw
I've been researching all day after sitting my UKCAT, and have finally narrowed down my list of universities to apply to to 5. I can't apply to a lot of them since I am already in my first year in a Bachelor degree at a university.
I would be applying as an international student as I'm from New Zealand.

The list is: Newcastle, Glasgow, King's College London, Exeter, St Andrews.
I got a UKCAT average of 800+ and got A*A*A*A in 2012 CIE A-Levels and 7A* and 1C in IGCSE (We don't really take that many IGCSE papers compared to the 10-12 GCSE papers I heard UK people take)
The thing is, I resat some AS papers and resat A-Level Maths after getting an A in 2011. I'm pretty sure this doesn't matter though since when I applied to University of Edinburgh last year, they ranked me in the top third academics-wise. However, they ranked me in the bottom third extra-curricular wise. Does anybody know which university I should exclude as a result of having not that great extra-curricular? Although I hope I improved my PS from last year.

By the way, I have read the relevant wiki articles, but it's slightly unclear on this specific area from what I understand.

Thanks a lot for any help you guys can give. This website has been really helpful, for last year and this year as well. (Moved this from the sticky, as this is more relevant here)

congrats on your score, could you please pm me what your strategies were and how it went.

tahnkxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending