The Student Room Group

I wish I went to a private school...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Paralove
Noticed a couple of things on this thread, been an interesting read! I think in regards to Oxbridge, the reason a lot of people get hung up about private vs state schools is that about 40% of students at Oxford or Cambridge come from private schools, even though only about 10% of students are educated privately in the UK, which shows that you have a better chance if you were educated privately.
!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's because around 36% of applicants are from private schools. So they do have a better chance, but it's quite small if you take into account the fact that state school students are more likely to apply for popular courses like Medicine, and less so with stuff like Classics which doesn't have as high an applicant:tongue:laces ratio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by CurtisDean

There were three things about private/independent schools that made me fall in love:
1) They have so much fun in their free time, they are away from parents, so they go to parties, got to festivals, and just enjoy their teen years together.
2) Sport is such a big thing, which is what I LOVE! I love sports with a passion, and I am always keen to get involved. Especially rowing!
3) You still get to visit home during holidays

University.
Original post by ladynova
University.

^this!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
One thing private school students undoubtably get more help with is Oxbridge applications. I have friends that go to special coaching and receive interview practise at their private sixth forms, my state comp school doesn't offer this and I wouldn't be able to afford tuition. One friend has been helped by her teachers since year 10, being found relevant work experience etc

While I realise that Oxbridge know not every student will have had the same opportunities, it does knock your confidence a bit and makes you feel woefully unprepared.

I'm sorry this seems a bit moany! I would hate to go to a private school, but the one thing I covet is a little extra support
Reply 64
My boyfriend moved from his private school to our state grammar in sixth form and thought it was infinitely better. However, that particular school wasn't one of the top ones in the area, he always said it was just like being at a comprehensive with nicer grounds and everyone slightly wealthier. They had ridiculous problems with drugs; everyone could afford to be bringing weed and MDMA into school on a daily basis there...

I suppose it's where you go though, the local public school is just how you described: really good sports facilities, loads of social time, they even have a nightclub which opens at weekends!
Reply 65
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I really feel for you. Have you considered wearing a facial mask and averting your gaze when brushing past those in poverty?

Are you just seeing what you want to see? I'm from a poor family myself. Besides, I hang out with other poor people, my GF is one of them, and once I do go to Oxford, I might even hang around poor people from time to time, to remember my roots. When I say I hate living amongst poor people, I mean, the usual poor people like chavs and pikeys. I happily look down on them, urgh. But, normal poor people like myself are fine.
Original post by Oxford2013
Are you just seeing what you want to see? I'm from a poor family myself. Besides, I hang out with other poor people, my GF is one of them, and once I do go to Oxford, I might even hang around poor people from time to time, to remember my roots. When I say I hate living amongst poor people, I mean, the usual poor people like chavs and pikeys. I happily look down on them, urgh. But, normal poor people like myself are fine.

This is a working class/underclass thing, right?
Reply 67
This is a working class/underclass thing, right?

*sigh*

I give up on you, I think you're trolling tbh.
*sigh*

I give up on you, I think you're trolling tbh.

:rofl:
And you're not.
Reply 69
:rofl:
And you're not.

No, I'm not. I have better things to do with my time.

I've seen you in my threads before, and several trolling posts, I suggest you learn to do better things with your time.
Reply 70
Original post by xxxKINGxxx
Funnily enough my public school has been in several national fjnals and have produced dozens of rugby players and it matches the results of private schools. .

Posted from TSR Mobile

N.b. public school is a term that refers to boarding schools if you don't pay for school it's a maintained or state school. (I.e. Eton is officially a public school)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Original post by Goods
N.b. public school is a term that refers to boarding schools if you don't pay for school it's a maintained or state school. (I.e. Eton is officially a public school)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite, there are day schools that are public (eg. St Paul's), though the majority are boarding.

Not sure what you mean exactly, but if you are talking about 'unfair' advantages, I don't think that's true - people have to work just as hard to get into an Oxford college in my experience when they come via the fee-paying route - there are no guarantees and no special places reserved for private schools. Maybe teaching standards are higher in some cases, but you have to make the grades and do well at interview and in admission tests, your teachers can't do it for you.

There must be some element of better preparation/education otherwise what are you paying for?

Some state schools, mainly grammars and elite sixth form colleges like Greenhead, Hills Road, KE Stourbridge etc., but the majority offer nothing like the interview/entrance exam prep you'd get at a top public school. My cousin found out Oxford interviewed when she got the letter calling her for one, her school had no idea and thought it was just Med like elsehwere, and that was a pretty decent comp, somewhere underperforming you'd be even worse off.
No, I'm not. I have better things to do with my time.

I've seen you in my threads before, and several trolling posts, I suggest you learn to do better things with your time.

If you're not just taking the piss with your posts, then it's time to say that they suck. Maybe you should restrict yourself to Chat, as they are impossible to take seriously.

We're still waiting to hear which college and course at Oxford has accepted you.
Reply 73
If you're not just taking the piss with your posts, then it's time to say that they suck. Maybe you should restrict yourself to Chat, as they are impossible to take seriously.

We're still waiting to hear which college and course at Oxford has accepted you.

Sorry, but, I'm afraid you're going on my ignore list.
Original post by roh

There must be some element of better preparation/education otherwise what are you paying for?

Some state schools, mainly grammars and elite sixth form colleges like Greenhead, Hills Road, KE Stourbridge etc., but the majority offer nothing like the interview/entrance exam prep you'd get at a top public school. My cousin found out Oxford interviewed when she got the letter calling her for one, her school had no idea and thought it was just Med like elsehwere, and that was a pretty decent comp, somewhere underperforming you'd be even worse off.

I'm no expert on public sector schools, but from friend's anecdotes, this kind of thing seems to vary a lot between state schools - I had friends in my college from state school backgrounds who had been helped, prodded and pushed in the direction of Oxbridge in every way, while I know of others who did it all pretty much on their own initiative.

I don't know all the details, but I believe there is a tendency for both Oxbridge and Cambridge to target particular schools for outreach in the state sector, where they have previously sourced high rates of intake - this might lead to a number of schools being 'overlooked' and the teaching staff feeling uninterested? I assume a lot depends on the initiative of heads and teachers.
Original post by roh
Not quite, there are day schools that are public (eg. St Paul's), though the majority are boarding.

One thing that often confuses me quite a lot about these stories is that it shows people haven't googled/looked for information on/from Oxford, Russel Groups etc.? This applies to both the teachers and students-there's so much verified information online it just baffles me how things like this could happen. I am completely self aware in that I realise this may sound snobbish or elitist of me, for which I apologise, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone could shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I'm no expert on public sector schools, but from friend's anecdotes, this kind of thing seems to vary a lot between state schools - I had friends in my college from state school backgrounds who had been helped, prodded and pushed in the direction of Oxbridge in every way, while I know of others who did it all pretty much on their own initiative.

I don't know all the details, but I believe there is a tendency for both Oxbridge and Cambridge to target particular schools for outreach in the state sector, where they have previously sourced high rates of intake - this might lead to a number of schools being 'overlooked' and the teaching staff feeling uninterested? I assume a lot depends on the initiative of heads and teachers.

The problem is finding teachers and heads who are both enthusiastic about it, not difficult amongst heads of sixth/heads as Oxbridge acceptances always look good in the prospectus, but more so amongst normal staff who carry stereotypes and also know what they're talking about, somewhat more difficult unless they've been targeted for outreach stuff like you mention.

The problem is I think they target too many schools who are already fine. My college (Greenhead) had a few visits a year, but it already had around 100 applicants and 30 odd acceptances every year and a structure for helping Oxbridge applicants, they clearly didn't need the help, whilst the college up the road didn't get any visits when they had a good 40/50 kids with AAA (pre A*) but no history of Oxbridge at all.
Reply 77
Original post by Sheldor
One thing that often confuses me quite a lot about these stories is that it shows people haven't googled/looked for information on/from Oxford, Russel Groups etc.? This applies to both the teachers and students-there's so much verified information online it just baffles me how things like this could happen. I am completely self aware in that I realise this may sound snobbish or elitist of me, for which I apologise, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone could shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my cousin's case the school encouraged her to go for it, she wasn't fussed, so kind of just went with what they said. Once she got the interview letter she did look it all up etc.

I think it can be just that the application is so different it doesn't seem obvious to look it up. Say you're an Oxford English applicant, why would you go searching for a test like the ELAT, nowhere else asks for something similar so why would you go looking for it unless someone prompted you to do so?

Teachers I agree have no excuse, they should all be clued up on things like Informed Choices, LNAT, BMAT, the Trinity list etc., but for the pupils I think some of the stuff only appears obvious to us because we know to go looking for it. These kids aren't dim by any means, they're also likely to be more inclined to independent working than the majority of applicants from private/grammar/top end comps and colleges and can research very well, but it's hard to look for more details on something you don't know exists.
Reply 78
I did say on the whole. Some people are independent learners, others not. It is personal preference as to whether you enjoy uni and what you achieve is in your hands.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your schooling. Take matters into your own hands and leave the responsibility to yourself!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Maybe it was your enthusiastic personality?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending