The Student Room Group

Good pharmacy schools if I get predicted, say ABB?

Hi everyone,
Just a quick post. I've just finished my second year of college. My summer exam results were:
- A2 Psychology : B
- AS Chemistry : B
- AS Maths : B
- AS Accounting : D

As I have finished my Psychology A-level with a grade B secured, i'm looking to drop this subject next year. Looking to take the other 3 subjects to A2 level in September. However, say if I get predicted ABB for example (A in Maths, B in Chemistry, B in Psychology (I've already achieved this in Psychology), can anyone recommend any good pharmacy schools worth applying to, maybe out of personal experience? I'm looking to apply for the Pharmacy MPharm for 2014 entry.

Any help would be widely appreciated. Cheers:biggrin:

EDIT : If it helps, the universities I'm currently looking at are LJMU, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Bradford, DMU. I don't know if I'm applying to too many 'low' requirement universities considering my hopeful predicted grades. How do people go about applying to universities - some low and some high grades? Help would be widely appreciated!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Also, I got told Aston have lowered their grade requirements?
Reply 2
Put it this way, I resat my AS year, and i've now finished sixth form with BBC, B in biology and religious and a C in chemistry. my insurance was DMU who wanted ABB but they still gave me an offer. I firmed sunderland who wanted BBB but let me in anyway. Your firm will most likely let you off upto two grades, possibly 3 if you're lucky, seeing as though my close friend got an offer from Huddersfield of ABB and ended up with BBD, D in biology but still got an offer. With predictions of ABB I'd apply to whichever uni you want really. According to the site Unistats the better unis are Nottingham, Huddersfield, DMU etc
Original post by zainn
Put it this way, I resat my AS year, and i've now finished sixth form with BBC, B in biology and religious and a C in chemistry. my insurance was DMU who wanted ABB but they still gave me an offer. I firmed sunderland who wanted BBB but let me in anyway. Your firm will most likely let you off upto two grades, possibly 3 if you're lucky, seeing as though my close friend got an offer from Huddersfield of ABB and ended up with BBD, D in biology but still got an offer. With predictions of ABB I'd apply to whichever uni you want really. According to the site Unistats the better unis are Nottingham, Huddersfield, DMU etc

Well done. Yeh I just finished resitting my AS year but with A2 Psychology. Would it not be more logical though to make your firm a higher offer than your insurance, and if you don't get into your firm choice, then you can go to your insurance choice instead? I'm kind of new to the UCAS uni process... The universities I'm interested in are: LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, DMU and UCLan at the moment, however this is subject to change as I haven't visited all the open days yet. Do you know if these universities would raise their requirements for me, as I will be studying 3 years at college overall??
Are there any other universities that you'd suggest I could research into and possibly apply to, considering I'll probably get predicted ABB??

So would you recommend me to firm a lower offer, and put a higher offer as insurance, to guarantee me a uni place? Yeh I can defo see myself getting predicted ABB to be honest!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
I'd say you should try for Aston/University of Birmingham aswell.
I had applied for pharmacy too. Missed UoB by 8 ums points. Got ABC, 8 ums off a B in biology. They pretty much said if you don't have. ABB even if 1 ums mark off, you won't get the place. Tried for Aston by clearing but the line was too busy couldn't get through at all during the day!! They had some BBB places going too.

I got CCD in AS, C in bio/chem and a D in AS maths. Don't even know how i had messed up so bad. At the end of A2 i got ABC, 6 ums off an A* in maths, and 8 ums off a B in biology. It's not too hard to pull your grades up if you study consistently throughout the year.
I was pretty close to getting A* BB. My friend got A*BB and got a place at UoB and aston this year.
Got an offer at wolverhampton uni though.
Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by spanishovenfork
Well done. Yeh I just finished resitting my AS year but with A2 Psychology. Would it not be more logical though to make your firm a higher offer than your insurance, and if you don't get into your firm choice, then you can go to your insurance choice instead? I'm kind of new to the UCAS uni process... The universities I'm interested in are: LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, DMU and UCLan at the moment, however this is subject to change as I haven't visited all the open days yet. Do you know if these universities would raise their requirements for me, as I will be studying 3 years at college overall??
Are there any other universities that you'd suggest I could research into and possibly apply to, considering I'll probably get predicted ABB??

So would you recommend me to firm a lower offer, and put a higher offer as insurance, to guarantee me a uni place? Yeh I can defo see myself getting predicted ABB to be honest!

It's definitely more logical to firm a higher offer and insure a lower offer, however if you absolutely want to make sure you get into uni, then it'd make sense to firm a lower offer. I was always intent on going to Sunderland anyway as it's the most local uni to me. Didn't quite have the grades for Durham uni which is just around the corner :frown:

I don't really think most unis care about resits hence shouldn't raise the requirements for you, my mate also resat the year but got into huddersfield with BBD so i don't think it matters too much unless you're applying to one of the higher grade unis like durham or nottingham.

Looking at unistats, the unis you mentioned as well as Huddersfield, UEA (both went into clearing) are worth a shot. I'm not sure about Durham Uni as it doesnt have a well-established pharmacy school but then again a degree from Durham is always going to look good.
Original post by zainn
It's definitely more logical to firm a higher offer and insure a lower offer, however if you absolutely want to make sure you get into uni, then it'd make sense to firm a lower offer. I was always intent on going to Sunderland anyway as it's the most local uni to me. Didn't quite have the grades for Durham uni which is just around the corner :frown:

I don't really think most unis care about resits hence shouldn't raise the requirements for you, my mate also resat the year but got into huddersfield with BBD so i don't think it matters too much unless you're applying to one of the higher grade unis like durham or nottingham.

Looking at unistats, the unis you mentioned as well as Huddersfield, UEA (both went into clearing) are worth a shot. I'm not sure about Durham Uni as it doesnt have a well-established pharmacy school but then again a degree from Durham is always going to look good.

Yeh that makes sense actually, I wouldn't want to risk messing up my uni place by putting a high firm and low insurance.. I'd probably just end up firming my lower offer if I like the university so I can ensure getting a uni place :smile:
I'm thinking of applying to 2 universities with 'lower' offers and 2 universities with 'higher' offers at least so I have a variety of grade offers. I went to hudds open day and I didn't really like it there if I must admit :tongue:

I'll have a look at UEA though. Nope I wouldn't really consider Durham anyway lol :smile:
So are you starting Sunderland this september? What offer did you get as a resit student???
Reply 7
Haha i kinda panicked even though i got an offer from Sunderland and De Montfort and started ringing around to see if any other unis would accept my grades but unfortunately they wouldn't because of my C in chemistry :frown:

UEA looks really good, quite high up in all the league tables and was at the top of a pharmacy league table last year if i remember quite rightly. At the end of the day it's about what suits you so it's probably a good idea to go to the open days of the unis you're interested in.

And yep I'm at sunderland in September, just deciding on whether or not i need accommodation seeing as though uni is 33 miles away from me, but i can drive so i dunno :/ As a resit student they still offered me BBB. My friend put sunderland as his insurance and got BBD in chemistry maths then biology but they let him in anyway.
Reply 8
Hi everyone,
Just a quick post. I've just finished my second year of college. My summer exam results were:

As I have finished my Psychology A-level with a grade B secured, i'm looking to drop this subject next year. Looking to take the other 3 subjects to A2 level in September. However, say if I get predicted ABB for example (A in Maths, B in Chemistry, B in Psychology (I've already achieved this in Psychology), can anyone recommend any good pharmacy schools worth applying to, maybe out of personal experience? I'm looking to apply for the Pharmacy MPharm for 2014 entry.

EDIT : If it helps, the universities I'm currently looking at are LJMU, Sunderland, Wolverhampton, Bradford, DMU. I don't know if I'm applying to too many 'low' requirement universities considering my hopeful predicted grades. How do people go about applying to universities - some low and some high grades? Help would be widely appreciated!

Some unis will ask for biology and chemistry. Look at this before applying.:confused:
Reply 9
Yeh that makes sense actually, I wouldn't want to risk messing up my uni place by putting a high firm and low insurance.. I'd probably just end up firming my lower offer if I like the university so I can ensure getting a uni place :smile:
I'm thinking of applying to 2 universities with 'lower' offers and 2 universities with 'higher' offers at least so I have a variety of grade offers. I went to hudds open day and I didn't really like it there if I must admit :tongue:

I'll have a look at UEA though. Nope I wouldn't really consider Durham anyway lol :smile:
So are you starting Sunderland this september? What offer did you get as a resit student???

Why not Durham?
I changed my mind when I went to openday, it looks good.
Reply 10
Hi,
im fairly new to this and I was wondering where would be best to apply if got CCCC in my first year in maths, bio, chem and history in both maths and chem I was a couple of ums away from a B and I'm Retaking a couple of exams. Any recommendations or advice would be helpful.
my exam results were a surprise as I thought I did much better does anyone know what my predicted grades will be and I'm dropping history.
Original post by jordi_A
Some unis will ask for biology and chemistry. Look at this before applying.:confused:

Thanks for that. I thought most uni's 'prefer' Biology but don't set it as a compulsory requirement. However, LJMU (an example) mention on their website that Biology is a requirement, however when speaking to them on open days and through email, they mentioned that I should get an offer even if I've not studied Biology at AS level, as long as the application is handed in by October time. Kind of confused though. Btw which uni's are good for ABB predicted grades? I don't want to apply to too many 'low' universities
Cheers for the replies guys. As I got BBBD in my results (including a B in A2 Psychology), i'll most likely get predicted at least ABB if not higher. I'm looking at: LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, De Montfort, Keele, and Wolverhampton at the moment. However, Keele mentioned that they reserve the right to ask for higher grades if done more than two years at college (applies to me as i'm going into my 3rd year of college in september, does this mean keele would offer me AAB as opposed to ABB, or reject me straight out?)

Anyone give me any suggestions on any other good universities ? Cheers :smile:
Cheers for the replies guys. As I got BBBD in my results (including a B in A2 Psychology), i'll most likely get predicted at least ABB if not higher. I'm looking at: LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, De Montfort, Keele, and Wolverhampton at the moment. However, Keele mentioned that they reserve the right to ask for higher grades if done more than two years at college (applies to me as i'm going into my 3rd year of college in september, does this mean keele would offer me AAB as opposed to ABB, or reject me straight out?)

Anyone give me any suggestions on any other good universities ? Cheers :smile:

If you have circumstances for going into a third year they won't give you a higher offer. They will not reject you for being a third year applicant they will compare you equally to other candidates however if you don't shine and they still wish to give you an offer you could expect an offer of AAB. Is your D in Chemsitry?
Original post by propagation
If you have circumstances for going into a third year they won't give you a higher offer. They will not reject you for being a third year applicant they will compare you equally to other candidates however if you don't shine and they still wish to give you an offer you could expect an offer of AAB. Is your D in Chemsitry?

Cheers. No I got a D in AS Accounting. I got a B in AS Chemistry (read my original post btw)
Do you think I will be able to get some offers from these Universities?
Cheers. No I got a D in AS Accounting. I got a B in AS Chemistry (read my original post btw)
Do you think I will be able to get some offers from these Universities?

I'm not sure about Bradford as they want an A grade in Chemistry, unless you can get that. Other than that you should be ok.
I'm not sure about Bradford as they want an A grade in Chemistry, unless you can get that. Other than that you should be ok.

Do they want an A at AS level Chemistry? Do you think I should apply to more than 2 "lower grade" universities?
i. e. Liverpool JM and Sunderland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone,

I would apply base on few different factors;

1) Cost of living - Do yo require to move out !
2) Tuition fee--- Some charges slightly less than other
3) Reputation of the school ..... ( in this case I will say Sunderland , Bradford / LJMU have a slight edge over the others listed)
(edited 10 years ago)
Do they want an A at AS level Chemistry? Do you think I should apply to more than 2 "lower grade" universities?
i. e. Liverpool JM and Sunderland

Posted from TSR Mobile

No but they would most likely want to see a Prediction of an A in Chemistry.
What are you planning to get an A in?

They are the only 2 out of all the uni's that are lower grade in terms of entry requirements.

I would go for one fairly good one.
2 Middleish ones and then the last 2 Sunderland and LJMU.
No but they would most likely want to see a Prediction of an A in Chemistry.
What are you planning to get an A in?

They are the only 2 out of all the uni's that are lower grade in terms of entry requirements.

I would go for one fairly good one.
2 Middleish ones and then the last 2 Sunderland and LJMU.

I got the highest B in Maths, so I'll see about my predictions. If not chemistry, i'd hopefully get predicted an A in Maths.

Cheers for the advice btw. I'm thinking of: LJMU, Sunderland, Bradford, DMU, UCLan (for now - this is still subject to change as I still have open days left to visit)... in terms of these choices temporarily, yay or nay?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending