The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else Cambridge-bound and would like to stay as sober as possible? I suppose Cambridge is probably one of the unis most likely to have a decent proportion of non-drinkers, but I'm still a little worried.
Also going tee-total has been quite a recent life decision for me... it's going to sound awful but I'm not sure how I'm going to make friends / hang out with strangers in an effort to make friends with them without alcohol, how do you do it?! Any advice appreciated :smile:
Reply 561
Original post by unknownvariable
Same reason for me. No drink is ever a good drink. Unless it's tiny. Sounds like a great alternative!

It just doesn't agree with me! Even if I like the taste--I am reasonably partial to a bit of heavily lemonaded down Pimm's--it just makes me feel like I do on a particularly bad day, all dizzy and not very with it. I'm just worried about being seen as boring or complaining a lot, my illness means I miss out on a lot of stuff and it's not very fun!

Original post by NJam
Hey! Awesome, I'm at St. Johns :smile:

Ah, one of the Bailey colleges; Hild Bede is slightly further out, though it's pretty close to where I'll be having all my lectures, which is nice.
Not really a non-drinker but I don't really like clubbing :smile:
Reply 563
University of Bath, anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 564
I'm not alone!!! yay!!!! although slightly nervous about freshers week .... seems like I wont make friends easy cos everyone else will drink. university of York anyone??
Reply 565
Any non-drinkers going to southampton solent??
Reply 566
Original post by Govindvirdee
Any other teetotallers going to birmingham?

Fellow teetotaller going to Birmingham :smile:

you might find this useful:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2437555
Original post by Treacle2
I'm not alone!!! yay!!!! although slightly nervous about freshers week .... seems like I wont make friends easy cos everyone else will drink. university of York anyone??

I'm going to York too! I seldom drink and I'm little bit nervous but really exited at the same time. Its your choice and people will respect that. I don't think that's any reason not to make freinds or for people not to like you ifthey see you're freindly! :smile:
Reply 568
Anyone here going liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not alone:colondollar::banana2::danceboy:
Reply 570
Original post by dream catcher
hey guys was wondering if there were any non drinkers out there studying at aston university? I'm just scared that being a non drinker will make it more difficult for me to make friends

Heyaa, I'm starting Aston in September and I don't drink :smile: I still love to go out and join in all the fun, but literally just don't drink! Would be good to meet you in September!

I always believe if someone simply does not want to be your friend because you don't drink, they're not worthy of being a friend! xx
Hello people, I don't really drink either. Have the occasional WKD to be social!! But aside form that nothing. If I'm honest, clubbing isn't really for me either, but I will still go out with my friends and have a dance to join in. I'm at Cardiff this year studying medicine! :-) nice to know I'm not alone. Often feels like you are!
Hey, I've never been drunk but the thought of drinking excessively and being in a club worries me! I think it's because my parents don't drink and I've always done a lot of sport, meaning missing out on a lot of nights out when I was 15-16. I feel like I'm behind and completely clueless when it comes to alcohol!

Anyone else like this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 573
Hey guuuys!!! So excited about uni but not happy about some possibly drunk nights there. Not a drinker myself, hopefully will have quite silent and not noisy flatmates!

Is anyone going to Sussex uni in this thread?
Original post by tellis :-)
Hello people, I don't really drink either. Have the occasional WKD to be social!! But aside form that nothing. If I'm honest, clubbing isn't really for me either, but I will still go out with my friends and have a dance to join in. I'm at Cardiff this year studying medicine! :-) nice to know I'm not alone. Often feels like you are!

You'll find others who don't really get drunk or go clubbing, don't worry. Unfortunately pretty much every Medic social at Cardiff involves getting absolutely smashed.
Original post by ChoccyWoccy
Not really a non-drinker but I don't really like clubbing :smile:

hey I'm not a clubber myself also. would rather have a night out going bowling ,cinema etc. I do like to drink the occasional cider though. its much better in the student bar as its cheaper and your less likely to fall over n hurt urself on campus. :smile:
Hey I am going to Sussex too and definitel a non-drinker! Yeah I am really excited but yeah I really want to meet my flatmates and argghhh I am too excited!
Original post by clmwise
Heyaa, I'm starting Aston in September and I don't drink :smile: I still love to go out and join in all the fun, but literally just don't drink! Would be good to meet you in September!

I always believe if someone simply does not want to be your friend because you don't drink, they're not worthy of being a friend! xx

that's so true! what are you studying?
Original post by Blackshadow
Unfortunately pretty much every Medic social at Cardiff involves getting absolutely smashed.

Yeah, I've heard Medics are the worst! Work hard play hard and all that! I'm sure it will be fine. Like everyone on here is saying, we are old enough now that most people should accept it if you choose not to drink. That's what I'm hoping anyway!!!
Reply 579
Original post by dream catcher
that's so true! what are you studying?

I'm studying Sociology, how about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest