The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Figured I could make a thread here since there wasn't one :333

This is for discussion of the Oxford MAT used for admissions to the university, for those taking it in November 2013.

How's everyone feeling about it? I've been going through the past papers but I'm really struggling with the trigonometry questions :frown:( Just can't get my head around them...

Here are some past papers to help you out.

JosephML posted some practice entrance sheets here.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by megiddo_
Figured I could make a thread here since there wasn't one :333

This is for discussion of the Oxford MAT used for admissions to the university, for those taking it in November 2013.

How's everyone feeling about it? I've been going through the past papers but I'm really struggling with the trigonometry questions :frown:( Just can't get my head around them...

Hey :smile: I'll be taking the test this year too! Very, very nervous to be completely honest :s-smilie: Some very tricky questions on the past papers!

Which college are you applying to? And how did your AS Levels go?:smile:

Hopefully we can attract a few more people into this thread, seems a bit quiet at the moment!
Reply 3
I shall be taking MAT for Imperial. I have been meaning to start prep for a while now, perhaps I shall begin :smile:
Original post by joostan
I shall be taking MAT for Imperial. I have been meaning to start prep for a while now, perhaps I shall begin :smile:

Oh, do any other Universities, excluding Oxford and Imperial, use the MAT?

How did your AS maths/further go? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by alexmufc1995
Oh, do any other Universities, excluding Oxford and Imperial, use the MAT?

How did your AS maths/further go? :smile:

Just those two I think. A few others use STEP.
I did AS and A2 Maths this year. I got an A* 589/600 :smile:

UMS breakdown:

Spoiler

What about you?
Original post by joostan
Just those two I think. A few others use STEP.
I did AS and A2 Maths this year. I got an A* 589/600 :smile:

UMS breakdown:

Spoiler

What about you?

Wow! :eek: Kudos to you my friend - those scores are truly incredible! Are you taking AS and A2 Further Maths next year then?

My UMS (Edexcel BTW):

Spoiler

Reply 7
Wow! :eek: Kudos to you my friend - those scores are truly incredible! Are you taking AS and A2 Further Maths next year then?

My UMS (Edexcel BTW):

Spoiler

:lol: Thanks. . . That's pretty good too :tongue:
Yes, I am. I presume you are too?

Spoiler

Original post by joostan
:lol: Thanks. . . That's pretty good too :tongue:
Yes, I am. I presume you are too?

Spoiler

Cheers :biggrin: Well I'm doing it the other way around - I've done AS in maths and AS in further and I'm doing A2 in both this year!

Let me know if you have any problems - which, looking at your UMS scores, is probably unlikely :tongue: Hopefully we can get MAT candidates posting their unsolved questions on this thread too :smile:
Reply 9
Cheers :biggrin: Well I'm doing it the other way around - I've done AS in maths and AS in further and I'm doing A2 in both this year!

Let me know if you have any problems - which, looking at your UMS scores, is probably unlikely :tongue: Hopefully we can get MAT candidates posting their unsolved questions on this thread too :smile:

I prefer to work out any problems on my own, no matter how long it takes :tongue:
Could well do. . . :smile:
Reply 10
oh wow, some people appeared!

I'm thinking of applying for Balliol right now, still not entirely sure though...

AS Levels were AAAB, plus two modules for FM because I missed the first one :frown: They're in Maths, Physics, Computing and Spanish respectively.

UMS and stuff:

C1 - 98
C2 - 100
M1 - 100
FP1 - 91
S2 - 92
Reply 11

I'm thinking of applying for Balliol right now, still not entirely sure though...

AS Levels were AAAB, plus two modules for FM because I missed the first one :frown: They're in Maths, Physics, Computing and Spanish respectively.

UMS and stuff:

C1 - 98
C2 - 100
M1 - 100
FP1 - 91
S2 - 92

Yes we have indeed appeared :tongue:
Nice - did you take S2 without S1?

UMS and stuff:

C1 - 98
C2 - 100
M1 - 100
FP1 - 91
S2 - 92

Hey, nice grades :smile: which AS levels are you taking into next year?

I had a look at Balliol as well when I went down to Oxford on an open day and it looks amazing! That being said I think I'll be applying to Merton as it has a good maths tradition - note: I'm applying for maths & philosophy :biggrin:

How many MAT papers have you tried? I don't want to exhaust them to early, since the past paper resources aren't exactly vast... :colondollar:
Reply 13

I had a look at Balliol as well when I went down to Oxford on an open day and it looks amazing! That being said I think I'll be applying to Merton as it has a good maths tradition - note: I'm applying for maths & philosophy :biggrin:

How many MAT papers have you tried? I don't want to exhaust them to early, since the past paper resources aren't exactly vast... :colondollar:

There's a fair few here. :smile:
Original post by joostan
There's a fair few here. :smile:

Ah cheers! That should keep me going for a while :biggrin:
Reply 15
Ah cheers! That should keep me going for a while :biggrin:

No problem :smile:
Reply 16

Just maths, further and physics; the classic three :tongue: I think I've briefly looked at all of them and done a couple of questions on those but I definitely have one I made sure I haven't done.

Original post by joostan
Yes we have indeed appeared :tongue:
Nice - did you take S2 without S1?

Yup, though I had no clue what to do given Var(3-2X) in one of the exam questions...only a couple of marks dropped though. Self teaching S1 this year.
Reply 17
Just maths, further and physics; the classic three :tongue: I think I've briefly looked at all of them and done a couple of questions on those but I definitely have one I made sure I haven't done.

Yup, though I had no clue what to do given Var(3-2X) in one of the exam questions...only a couple of marks dropped though. Self teaching S1 this year.

Impressive, and mildly unfortunate. . . Seems a bizarre way to do things :tongue:
I do prefer S2 though :smile:
It's the last question - i.e question 5 - on every paper which I find the most difficult. They have some crazy context for those questions which, although the solution is reasonably straightforward, catches me out almost every time :redface:
Reply 19
Original post by joostan
Impressive, and mildly unfortunate. . . Seems a bizarre way to do things :tongue:
I do prefer S2 though :smile:

I started doing FM in Feb/March and they did S1 in January.

It's the last question - i.e question 5 - on every paper which I find the most difficult. They have some crazy context for those questions which, although the solution is reasonably straightforward, catches me out almost every time :redface:

oh man please don't even get me started on these questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending