The Student Room Group

Is retaking Year 12 bad?

I have been searching for a short and concise answer, and this question probably has been answered, if so please can someone direct me? - Thank you!

My AS' were not too great:
History E
Religious Studies D
Italian D
Drama and Theatre Studies C

So CDDE.

I had hoped to get ABBC/AABC so I could apply for Unis such as York, Leicester, Southampton, Kent, Aston and UEA. But obviously, they are out of my reach. I feel like I could have done SO MUCH better!! Since there are no January retakes, it has been difficult decision for me to either retake the whole of Year 12 or continue on with A2's whilst retaking these exams.

I have decided to retake Year 12 again, taking up the same subjects excluding Italian and replacing it with maybe Sociology. To cut the long story short, do the Unis that I have stated, frown upon repeaters? I have heard that some of them increase the fee.

I would love an answer, because I think I am racking my brain with what I can do. :frown:

Thanks x
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
The top universities do, ie the russell group (York and Southampton), as with regards to the others I'm not too sure, usually the best universities will see it in a bad light as you are taking three years to do what others with potentially similar or better grades have done in two years.

It's a bit harsh but they may end up giving you a harder offer to meet is the simplest way of putting it.
Original post by Dingo749
The top universities do, ie the russell group (York and Southampton), as with regards to the others I'm not too sure, usually the best universities will see it in a bad light as you are taking three years to do what others with potentially similar or better grades have done in two years.

It's a bit harsh but they may end up giving you a harder offer to meet is the simplest way of putting it.

Thank you very much for replying!!!
I completely emphasise, it is a difficult situation that I've put myself in. On previous thread, a boy stated that he retook Year 12 and got AAA and got an offer for Warwick. It's a shame that this had to happen, however if this going to get me better grades I'd rather go through with that. I wish January retakes were still an option :mad:

Quick Reply

Latest