The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
LOL. I wonder where this conversation is going to lead.

I'll be good because I don't want to jeopardize my chances of becoming your fellow-German-learner penpal :wink:

oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi, oi oi oi oi oi. Tootoo :grin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by thatitootoo
Perhaps not "common"...BUT

It has come to my attention, that der TehFrance der TSR tends to just take some of our posts at face value and come to a rapid conclusion...on this thread at least...:unimpressed:

Perhaps my dear boy, you should learn what calling someone common actually means as I'm nowhere near common. It's hard not to take it at face value when it's so clearly a comment that one should take at face value.
LOL. I wonder where this conversation is going to lead.

Indeed :tongue:
Reply 6842
Original post by Kallisto
I need help in English again. What is the right word to initiate a subordinate clause (?) with the word 'indem' ? for all members who don't speak German, I'm talking about 'while', 'whilst' or 'by doing'. For all members who speak German here are some examples:

Er löschte das Feuer, indem er ein Glas Wasser über die Flammen schüttete.
Er konnte dem Fremden Mann helfen, indem er den Rettungswagen rief.
Der Bankräuber konnte gefasst werden, indem die Polizei rechtzeitig alarmiert wurde.

The word you're looking for is definitely just 'by', except for the last one, which would be 'because'. If you used 'while' or 'whilst' for these examples, the two actions would not be connected in any way.

For example:

I did my homework while sitting on the train.
I ate my dinner while watching the TV.

(The two actions have no link, they just happened at the same time.)

vs.

I dried my clothes by hanging them on the clothes line outside.
I let her know about the party by pushing a note under her door.
He was able to give me a free coffee because he had filled up his current loyalty card.

(The subordinate clause explains the method).
Original post by tehFrance
Perhaps my dear boy, you should learn what calling someone common actually means as I'm nowhere near common. It's hard not to take it at face value when it's so clearly a comment that one should take at face value.

Indeed :tongue:

OK liebling =)
Nonetheless, your comment/contribution about "x" being a common phrase...just.so.unnecessary if you actually thought about WHAT it was that I was questioning in MY comment.

I nicked the word "common" from YOUR comment about x being a "common phrase", as reading that reaction had completely dumbfounded me...so I couldn't think of anything but the old "What you say is what you are" School yard line :wink:

The fact that you're on the TSR languages section, somewhat determined to learn Norwegian (even if your main motive is to pick up "fit girls":tongue:) already disqualifies you from being common under any measure. You need not convince me of your "uniqueness", tehFrance.

beste Freunde? ;D

(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6844
OK liebling =)
Nonetheless, your comment/contribution about "x" being a common phrase...just.so.unnecessary if you actually thought about WHAT it was that I was questioning in MY comment.

I nicked the word "common" from YOUR comment, about x being a "common phrase", as reading that reaction had completely dumbfounded me...so I couldn't think of anything but the old "What you say is what you are" School yard line :wink:

The fact that you're on the TSR languages section, somewhat determined to learn Norwegian (even if your main motive is to pick up "fit girls":tongue:) already disqualifies you from being common under any measure. You need not convince me of your "uniqueness", tehFrance.

beste Freunde? ;D

Dude, 'common', if you refer to someone as such, is not the opposite of 'uncommon' or 'rare', but means something else entirely. That is why tehFrance is taking this much offence.
I sense some friction :ninja:

Aussi... Aujourd'hui (quoi est le "petit" version de ça?) j'ai réalisé que j'ai raté mes examens de français :rofl: je verrai les "boundaries" demain, j'espère qu'ils soient bonnes... Ou je n'obtenirai pas le A* :redface:

J'ai lu que un étudiant de mon école secondaire (elle partie mon collège cette année pour l'université) a A*A*A*A dans le français, l'histoire, le 'lit' de l'anglais et l'éducation religieuse... C'est très bon!:eek:

Mon livre d'allemand devrait arriver le vendredi :woo:

I can't wait to start French A Level :erm: need to get into writing correctly...
Original post by Ronove
Dude, 'common', if you refer to someone as such, is not the opposite of 'uncommon' or 'rare', but means something else entirely. That is why tehFrance is taking this much offence.

Well, he should not! I've never met him! I have no opinion on TehFrance in his daily life...I have no reason to believe that TehFrance is "common" in the sense of "Cassanova?" :tongue:
I seriously thought the other interpretation of common was "slag" which for some reason doesn't apply to the male sex??

Tootoo must take notes :emo:

Reply 6847
Original post by L'Evil Fish

Aussi... Aujourd'hui (quoi est le "petit" version de ça?) j'ai réalisé que j'ai raté mes examens de français :rofl: je verrai les "boundaries" demain, j'espère qu'ils soient bonnes... Ou je n'obtenirai pas le A* :redface:

J'ai lu que un étudiant de mon école secondaire (elle partie mon collège cette année pour l'université) a A*A*A*A dans le français, l'histoire, le 'lit' de l'anglais et l'éducation religieuse... C'est très bon!:eek:

I can't wait to start French A Level :erm: need to get into writing correctly...

What does raté mean? And you've decided to learn German? I heard it's pretty hard, but with all the experts here, you'll do well I'm sure? Are you self-studying as an AS as well?
Original post by Ronove

What does it mean?

All I'd say was common as in a pleb, like... Just a commoner. From a rich persons perspective, just a poor person?

I'm a mere commoner unfortunately:frown:

Sometimes friction juist builds and you get this type of foolishness.
tehFrance has not been my favourite TSR member since telling me that I could not do the German A-level :tongue:
But that was 50 pages ago...I've moved on now and so has your thread! :wink:

Sometimes friction juist builds and you get this type of foolishness.
tehFrance has not been my favourite TSR member since telling me that I could not do the German A-level :tongue:
But that was 50 pages ago...I've moved on now and so has your thread! :wink:

Agree to disagree :tongue:

Original post by AquisM
What does raté mean? And you've decided to learn German? I heard it's pretty hard, but with all the experts here, you'll do well I'm sure? Are you self-studying as an AS as well?

Je pensais que c'est "failed". Oui, je commencerai, mais non, je ne ferai pas le A-Level... :tongue:

Je ne pense pas que je *subjonctif faire* l'espagnol aussi :redface:

Keeping it as a hobby.
Reply 6851
Agree to disagree :tongue:

Je pensais que c'est "failed". Oui, je commencerai, mais non, je ne ferai pas le A-Level... :tongue:

Je ne pense pas que je *subjonctif faire* l'espagnol aussi :redface:

Keeping it as a hobby.

Oh, I see. (How do you say that in French? I suppose it wouldn't be je vois? :tongue:) Bonne chance en/dans/à/one of the other 10 prepositions in French ton apprendissage d'allemand.
Original post by AquisM
Oh, I see. (How do you say that in French? I suppose it wouldn't be je vois? :tongue:) Bonne chance en/dans/à/one of the other 10 prepositions in French ton apprendissage d'allemand.

I say je vois :lol:

Avec? Dans? Je ne sais pas!:emo:
Reply 6853
Well, he should not! I've never met him! I have no opinion on TehFrance in his daily life...I have no reason to believe that TehFrance is "common" in the sense of "Cassanova?" :tongue:
I seriously thought the other interpretation of common was "slag" which for some reason doesn't apply to the male sex??

Tootoo must take notes :emo:

What does it mean?

All I'd say was common as in a pleb, like... Just a commoner. From a rich persons perspective, just a poor person?

That's exactly what I mean, which Tootoo still doesn't appear to get. :tongue: I doubt he knows what a 'pleb' is either. The white American version would be 'white trash', Tootoo. Think... TOWIE/Geordie Shore. It has nothing to do with the promiscuity thing you're thinking with 'slag' though (I get the impression there's also a lot of that evidenced in those programmes, and it wasn't that I was trying to exemplify with them :tongue:).
Original post by Ronove
That's exactly what I mean, which Tootoo still doesn't appear to get. :tongue: I doubt he knows what a 'pleb' is either. The white American version would be 'white trash', Tootoo. Think... TOWIE/Geordie Shore. It has nothing to do with the promiscuity thing you're thinking with 'slag' though (I get the impression there's also a lot of that evidenced in those programmes, and it wasn't that I was trying to exemplify with them :tongue:).

If you know what a "pleb" is, you're probably not one :ninja:

Why take offence to it though? It's not really a hurtful comment :redface:
Reply 6855
If you know what a "pleb" is, you're probably not one :ninja:

Why take offence to it though? It's not really a hurtful comment :redface:

If it's the word 'common', rather than some kind of strictly ironic use of 'pleb', then I would definitely call it offensive. Unless it's between two more upper-class members of society who would never take it seriously.
Original post by Ronove
If it's the word 'common', rather than some kind of strictly ironic use of 'pleb', then I would definitely call it offensive. Unless it's between two more upper-class members of society who would never take it seriously.

Is thatitootoo or whatever his name is rich anyway?
Original post by tehFrance
Really? It's still rather basic French though, A1/2 to B1/2 right? I wouldn't worry about it myself and just take the DELf which I'm sure if required if you want to prove your French ability for work purposes in France although I could be wrong.

Understandable as for her, she would've grown up with French around her thus it's easier.

I don't really want to work in France, though. At least not in the next five years. :biggrin: I also wouldn't have a chance in hell of passing the DELf yet!

I just want to have a reasonable-looking grade in GCSE French (thus comprising five GCSES) for my CV for British employers, and for any future UCAS application to a brick university for a language degree!

Also, it would be nice to begin AS-level French this year with some level of confidence.
What does it mean?

Indeed. 'Common' has its root in the British class system. However, up in the North or certainly where I live, to call someone 'common' is to say they have no manners, etiquette, refinement or any attributes that a civilised, respectful member of society would have. You can still drive a big flash car and be common; if you are disrespectful and swear and have the mannerisms of a member of the underclass; you are still common. I much prefer the word 'scrote' or 'scratter'. Scratter is quite an insult though so you wouldn't want to bandy it around in jest. This may be different in other regions of the country.

I don't think Too meant any offence by it. :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Indeed. 'Common' has its root in the British class system. However, up in the North or certainly where I live, to call someone 'common' is to say they have no manners, etiquette, refinement or any attributes that a civilised, respectful member of society would have. You can still drive a big flash car and be common; if you are disrespectful and swear and have the mannerisms of a member of the underclass; you are still common. I much prefer the word 'scrote' or 'scratter'. Scratter is quite an insult though so you wouldn't want to bandy it around in jest. This may be different in other regions of the country.

I don't think Too meant any offence by it. :tongue:

Oh wow, different meanings then I think!

Latest

Trending

Trending