The Student Room Group

So to you business students I need advice.

I want to do a business degree but I have my concerns. Firstly, there are so many business degrees what are the best ones to do? how respected are they? And what Uni's have the best business schools? Where can I realistically get into with grades bbb-abb?

Much help would be hugely appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by xxm
I want to do a business degree but I have my concerns. Firstly, there are so many business degrees what are the best ones to do? how respected are they? And what Uni's have the best business schools? Where can I realistically get into with grades bbb-abb?

Much help would be hugely appreciated!

What do you want to do in the future?
what are your interests?

You'll find that different uni's business degrees will have some different content and different modules, so have a look deeper into modules at the different uni's.
"Best" business departments are well opinionated, if you're looking at it from a employment point of view, even more so, obviously the better the uni reputation the better for you. But overall its down to what you do in those 3 years and not just the degree.
In my opinion with the amount of people doing business degrees you may want to do a business degree which slightly differs so instead of business management, something like business management with computer science or maths or something.
Reply 2
Original post by Iqbal007
What do you want to do in the future?
what are your interests?

You'll find that different uni's business degrees will have some different content and different modules, so have a look deeper into modules at the different uni's.
"Best" business departments are well opinionated, if you're looking at it from a employment point of view, even more so, obviously the better the uni reputation the better for you. But overall its down to what you do in those 3 years and not just the degree.
In my opinion with the amount of people doing business degrees you may want to do a business degree which slightly differs so instead of business management, something like business management with computer science or maths or something.

Hi what exactly is business management? Is it respected? I'm try to research but there is so many different one's it's really hard! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by xxm
Hi what exactly is business management? Is it respected? I'm try to research but there is so many different one's it's really hard! :smile:

business management is the most common undergrad business degree around....its hard to say to be honest, I would prefer Economics over it as it contains more maths modules which goes over integrals, etc relating to graphs....business management is far more essay based.
It depends what you want to get into in the end.
Reply 4
business management is the most common undergrad business degree around....its hard to say to be honest, I would prefer Economics over it as it contains more maths modules which goes over integrals, etc relating to graphs....business management is far more essay based.

I'm going to seriously need to do research.

BTW, I think you made the QMUL thread best of luck on reaching your offer if you did! I hopefully shall be there too, maybe a different course than History tho'!
Reply 5
Original post by xxm
I'm going to seriously need to do research.

BTW, I think you made the QMUL thread best of luck on reaching your offer if you did! I hopefully shall be there too, maybe a different course than History tho'!

I'm already at qmul, I just made it for people looking to go there............
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm already at qmul, I just made for people looking to go there............

Oh, I hopefully will be too! Looks like a great place and uni!
Reply 7
If you do a business degree, make sure you start getting work experience from day 1. It is a hugely competitive job market so you'll need to give yourself a fighting chance.
Reply 8
Original post by Shelly_x
If you do a business degree, make sure you start getting work experience from day 1. It is a hugely competitive job market so you'll need to give yourself a fighting chance.

Thank you, I want to start my own bussiness in the future and I'm just wondering whether or not this should be the path to take rather than History.
Reply 9

I'm going to start Business Studies in some weeks, and I am able to change to Business Studies and Economics in the second year. Should I do this? I think the demand for business students with a good Maths understanding is much more higher than business students without this knowledge or skill. That's why I'm considering it instead of going for a full business course.
Original post by Shelly_x

Does it need to be relevant to your studies? It may be difficult to get an accounting job or business related job when you're that young without education.

If that's not the case, then I'm good, because I've had a job since I was 15.
Reply 11
Original post by kingquang
I'm going to start Business Studies in some weeks, and I am able to change to Business Studies and Economics in the second year. Should I do this? I think the demand for business students with a good Maths understanding is much more higher than business students without this knowledge or skill. That's why I'm considering it instead of going for a full business course.

Hence why people see business as non-traditional and a lesser version of Economics.
Economics would give a better understanding on things, a lot more maths if you choose it.......which is important if you plan on getting into the financial field in the future.
Reply 12
Does it need to be relevant to your studies? It may be difficult to get an accounting job or business related job when you're that young without education.

If that's not the case, then I'm good, because I've had a job since I was 15.

When studying your degree it should be relevant to the job you want to do later. Business jobs are pretty damn hard to get without any work experience in business.
Hence why people see business as non-traditional and a lesser version of Economics.
Economics would give a better understanding on things, a lot more maths if you choose it.......which is important if you plan on getting into the financial field in the future.

But what subjects are considered as Business? Is it finance, accounting, marketing and management? While Economics is micro-/macroeconomics, financial economics, maths etc.?
Reply 14
But what subjects are considered as Business? Is it finance, accounting, marketing and management? While Economics is micro-/macroeconomics, financial economics, maths etc.?

Well yes they are all technically business, however in my opinion they would also fall under Economics, under that it would be far more thorough in the understanding of how the markets work, mathematical formulas, etc
So having a Economics degree would itself be broader and give better skill to get a job in a broader field, plus looks far better as well.
Reply 15
Which one would be best if your maths isn't strong.
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by allyz04
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm wondering the same. I'm not actually sure if I am good at Maths or not...
What's the difference between Introductory, Further and Advanced Mathematics?
Reply 17
Original post by allyz04
Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

This, I'm awful at maths.
Well yes they are all technically business, however in my opinion they would also fall under Economics, under that it would be far more thorough in the understanding of how the markets work, mathematical formulas, etc
So having a Economics degree would itself be broader and give better skill to get a job in a broader field, plus looks far better as well.

Is there a big difference between BA and Bsc? And does it effect my chance to get a good job?
Reply 19
Is there a big difference between BA and Bsc? And does it effect my chance to get a good job?

In terms of Economics......BA is much less maths in my opinion.
Also don't fall for this idea that the degree alone will get you a job, not true at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending