The Student Room Group

Debenhams Stockroom Movement Assistant Xmas Temp

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by smclellan91
Every time I do my roots I panic about that haha! Are you nervous for Thursday?

I wish I was. I have this wonderful coping mechanism called pretending nothing out of the ordinary is happening on Thursday and I'm just researching Debenhams for fun. It'll all hit me when I get there. I've been putting out applications all summer and Debenhams is literally the only place that got back to me, so that'd be waaaay too much pressure to deal with like a normal person. Thinking about it properly, I think I'm more worried about the 1-1. I tend to blank when I'm put on the spot. If only the woman from the phone interviews was doing them. Are you expecting just standard 'why should we hire you' kinda questions? Or more of these 'how would you deal with...' ones?
Reply 21
Original post by Muffie
I wish I was. I have this wonderful coping mechanism called pretending nothing out of the ordinary is happening on Thursday and I'm just researching Debenhams for fun. It'll all hit me when I get there. I've been putting out applications all summer and Debenhams is literally the only place that got back to me, so that'd be waaaay too much pressure to deal with like a normal person. Thinking about it properly, I think I'm more worried about the 1-1. I tend to blank when I'm put on the spot. If only the woman from the phone interviews was doing them. Are you expecting just standard 'why should we hire you' kinda questions? Or more of these 'how would you deal with...' ones?

I'm not that bad once I get in there but my nerves start when I keep thinking and feeling like I'm gonna go blank, I think that's why the more interviews you do the less nervous you feel because you're used to the questions and how to answer them. Without a doubt the worst questions for me are the 'tell me a time when you've...' - my last interview had like 5 of them in a row and I had to pause to think for each one. I honestly think the 1 on 1 will be ok though, all the posts I've read on here about them say they're pretty informal and If you think about it if they have like a number of people to get through they probably won't take too long. I'm more bothered about speaking infront of a group of people
Reply 22
I'm not that bad once I get in there but my nerves start when I keep thinking and feeling like I'm gonna go blank, I think that's why the more interviews you do the less nervous you feel because you're used to the questions and how to answer them. Without a doubt the worst questions for me are the 'tell me a time when you've...' - my last interview had like 5 of them in a row and I had to pause to think for each one. I honestly think the 1 on 1 will be ok though, all the posts I've read on here about them say they're pretty informal and If you think about it if they have like a number of people to get through they probably won't take too long. I'm more bothered about speaking infront of a group of people

I'm not exactly looking forward to the talking in front of everyone, but I know I'll get through it. I have no idea how many people to expect though, or even what kind of people?? It seems more like a student job, especially with the evening and weekend hours, but I doubt many students will have applied to a job where they'd have to travel back for the interview. Those questions are horrible. You can't really prepare when they could stick anything on the end of it. And the first thing that comes to mind is always the worst example and you think of something perfect you could have said after you've left. Ergh. :frown:
Reply 23

Original post by Muffie
I'm not exactly looking forward to the talking in front of everyone, but I know I'll get through it. I have no idea how many people to expect though, or even what kind of people?? It seems more like a student job, especially with the evening and weekend hours, but I doubt many students will have applied to a job where they'd have to travel back for the interview. Those questions are horrible. You can't really prepare when they could stick anything on the end of it. And the first thing that comes to mind is always the worst example and you think of something perfect you could have said after you've left. Ergh. :frown:

Group tasks are the worst, especially if you get paired with absolute idiots and by that I mean those that contribute nothing and leave it all up to you, but if you do all the work then your not seen as a 'team player' :rolleyes:

That recruitment process you mentioned seems more fitted to the customer advisor role, with all the brands and what not, but I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same process for the stockroom job, they did so at Next.

Questions I would expect -
How would you deal with any changes? - this could mean shifts, workload, filling in for a colleague etc
What attracted you to this role/ why is this role suitable for you?
Why Debenhams - because I ****ing need a job and you guys were hiring!, but no seriously, you should look at the 'about us' page on the website and talk about they're 'excellent' customer service which you admire, things like that.
What does good customer service mean to you/ Give an example when you have given good customer service.
You might get questions about brands - so take some time to look at the brands they sell - it helps when knowing about brands because you will be the one put the stock out on the shopfloor, it also helps because you will have a rough idea about the pricing of items, which helps prevent stock loss.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
""

Did you get the e-mail?

Original post by Nerd2
""

They already covered why Debenhams/ why stockroom in the interview, so I don't see them bringing that back up. The suggested questions to prep they've just sent out are pretty much all on how much you know about the company. And here's hoping anyone who doesn't want to be a team player forgets their passport and has to reschedule :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by Muffie
Did you get the e-mail?

They already covered why Debenhams/ why stockroom in the interview, so I don't see them bringing that back up. The suggested questions to prep they've just sent out are pretty much all on how much you know about the company. And here's hoping anyone who doesn't want to be a team player forgets their passport and has to reschedule :wink:

What questions to prep??!! I haven't received any :confused:
Reply 26
Original post by Nerd2
What questions to prep??!! I haven't received any :confused:

My assessment's tomorrow morning and the e-mail only came through this afternoon.

"It may be helpful to research the following points when preparing for your interview:
what do Debenhams do and what do we sell?
who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer?
what sort of organisation are we?
who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street?
what is the job likely to involve?
how can you best fit your skills to match the job?"
Reply 27
Original post by Muffie
My assessment's tomorrow morning and the e-mail only came through this afternoon.

"It may be helpful to research the following points when preparing for your interview:
what do Debenhams do and what do we sell?
who are our Debenhams customers and what services do we offer?
what sort of organisation are we?
who are Debenhams main competitors on the high street?
what is the job likely to involve?
how can you best fit your skills to match the job?"

Thank you, you're a life saver!

I wonder why, they didn't bother to send the email to me :confused:
My interview is tomorrow as well!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Nerd2
Thank you, you're a life saver!

I wonder why, they didn't bother to send the email to me :confused:
My interview is tomorrow as well!
Good luck! :smile:

I wouldn't be surprised if you get it tomorrow morning. It also contains a phone number to contact them on more than 24hrs before your interview if you need to reschedule. Very handy. What time are you in for?
Reply 29
Original post by Muffie
I wouldn't be surprised if you get it tomorrow morning. It also contains a phone number to contact them on more than 24hrs before your interview if you need to reschedule. Very handy. What time are you in for?

I'm in at 10am-12am.

What about you?
Btw they said you should turn up early, I think they said 10minutes before the time scheduled, right?
Reply 30
Original post by Nerd2
I'm in at 10am-12am.

What about you?
Btw they said you should turn up early, I think they said 10minutes before the time scheduled, right?

Ah poop. 10:30-12:30. No getting a heads up from you. I'll be interested to know if we actually do the same things. And yeah, they say 10 minutes, but I like to be early, so I'll probably be wandering around outside the store a good 20 minutes before.

What are you wearing for it?
Reply 31
Original post by Muffie
Ah poop. 10:30-12:30. No getting a heads up from you. I'll be interested to know if we actually do the same things. And yeah, they say 10 minutes, but I like to be early, so I'll probably be wandering around outside the store a good 20 minutes before.

What are you wearing for it?

My suit, managed to get two jobs wearing that suit, so I'm hoping I can do the same tomorrow.

What you wearing for it?
Reply 32
Original post by Nerd2
My suit, managed to get two jobs wearing that suit, so I'm hoping I can do the same tomorrow.

What you wearing for it?

I'm going with the idea of dressing so that they can see you in the role. As I don't have the slightest clue what the stock assistants wear, I've gone for dress like a generic Debenhams employee, so black shirt and trousers.

And of course I'll be accessorising that with a passport stating that I was born in the tiny Suffolk village of Debenham. If that doesn't land me the job then I don't know what will :cool:

And the best thing about suits is just how terrible they make everyone who didn't bother making an effort look. I mean really. I'll be surprised if there's not at least one person in jeans or chinos or something tomorrow.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Muffie
I'm going with the idea of dressing so that they can see you in the role. As I don't have the slightest clue what the stock assistants wear, I've gone for dress like a generic Debenhams employee, so black shirt and trousers.

And of course I'll be accessorising that with a passport stating that I was born in the tiny Suffolk village of Debenham. If that doesn't land me the job then I don't know what will :cool:

And the best thing about suits is just how terrible they make everyone who didn't bother making an effort look. I mean really. I'll be surprised if there's not at least one person in jeans or chinos or something tomorrow.

Yeah black shirt and trousers is absolutely fine for an interview.
I've worked as a stockroom assistant before, the dress code was relaxed, t-shirt/company polo shirt, jeans and comfortable footwear.
Reply 34
Original post by Nerd2
Yeah black shirt and trousers is absolutely fine for an interview.
I've worked as a stockroom assistant before, the dress code was relaxed, t-shirt/company polo shirt, jeans and comfortable footwear.

I'm definitely not expecting anything more than a t-shirt with a christmassy Debenhams slogan on it if they even give the temps uniform.

Do you know of any stockroom day to day activities they missed out on the job description? My advice from the phone interview was to find out more about that, and considering I'd already listed pretty much everything from the ad, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be finding out :confused:
Reply 35
Original post by Muffie
I'm definitely not expecting anything more than a t-shirt with a christmassy Debenhams slogan on it if they even give the temps uniform.

Do you know of any stockroom day to day activities they missed out on the job description? My advice from the phone interview was to find out more about that, and considering I'd already listed pretty much everything from the ad, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be finding out :confused:

Have you managed to find out much about the brands?? It doesn't really say much about them on the website ahh
Reply 36
Original post by Muffie

Not necessarily day-to-day activities, but they will be impressed if you mention these:

You will be effective in re-arranging the displays (clothing rails, stands, mannequins etc) in preparation for the sales. The whole store will need to be re-arranged so that the sale period is efficient, comfortable for customers and safe, this is of concern because during the sales period there can be a very large number of customers in store, some will get frustrated queuing, some will get frustrated locating items and items/hangers will end up on the floor which is dangerous.

Stock loss prevention - You should notify the appropriate person if you spot any stock missing, stock left in suspicious places, also regular checks on random sections on the store, you should be checking for items that haven't got security tags, but should have, this will enable you estimate the rough amount the store would have lossed if those item(s) were stolen.

Assist the sales consultants in locating items. You will eventually know the stockroom better than them, so they may ask you where things are, especially during the busy festive season.

That's all I can think of right now, that they haven't mentioned.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 37
Have you managed to find out much about the brands?? It doesn't really say much about them on the website ahh

This is linked as a source on wiki:

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_10001_10001_125651_-1

It's cited 2012 and a couple of the designers don't match the ones on the drop down at the top, but it has whole profiles on the designers and links to their collections which ARE currently available. Considering several of the links on the drop down have nothing, I'm wondering if this list is actually kept more up to date :confused:
Reply 38
Original post by Nerd2
You will be effective in re-arranging the displays (clothing rails, stands, mannequins etc) in preparation for the sales. The whole store will need to be re-arranged so that the sale period is efficient, comfortable for customers and safe, this is of concern because during the sales period there can be a very large number of customers in store, some will get frustrated queuing, some will get frustrated locating items and items/hangers will end up on the floor which is dangerous.

Stock loss prevention - You should notify the appropriate person if you spot any stock missing, stock left in suspicious places, also regular checks on random sections on the store, you should be checking for items that haven't got security tags, but should have, this will enable you estimate the rough amount the store would have lossed if those item(s) were stolen.

Assist the sales consultants in locating items. You will eventually know the stockroom better than them, so they may ask you where things are, especially during the busy festive season.

That's all I can think of right now, that they haven't mentioned.

I hadn't even thought of rearranging the shop floor and that seems so obvious. Are there usually as many stock checks around christmas? The cost of losing one or two items compared to the number of items you could have replenished and sold in that time doesn't seem to make it worth it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the stock assistants are responsible for putting together orders? I read somewhere that it's all done from a warehouse in Peterborough, but I don't know if that's outdated now as it seems a bit odd.
Reply 39
Original post by Muffie
I hadn't even thought of rearranging the shop floor and that seems so obvious. Are there usually as many stock checks around christmas? The cost of losing one or two items compared to the number of items you could have replenished and sold in that time doesn't seem to make it worth it.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the stock assistants are responsible for putting together orders? I read somewhere that it's all done from a warehouse in Peterborough, but I don't know if that's outdated now as it seems a bit odd.

I doubt it, I can't imagine we'd be responsible for deciding the orders, it's probably all processed elsewhere because it would be a big job and would be calculated by what's been purchased etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending