The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
I saw the highlights absolutely beautiful goals both of them. Sociedad to do a malaga this season and end up in the quarters. I just hope Chelsea don't get them tbh as they'd be a ridiculous 4th seed. Wish zurich watched the match though.

Since I don't watch anybody bar barca/madrid/sociedad or who they're playing do you see any contenders for 4th?

God they were stunning. Falling more and more for Sociedad. Hope they keep their players! Would suck to draw Sociedad as a 4th seed. I knew they were good enough to put Lyon down. Just need to keep things calm next leg and they are in the Champions League group stages! :thumbsup:

Hmmm Its still early but I think Bilbao could do pretty well this season, they were very disappointing last season but they looked alright on the weekend and they did get Benat as well, Wondering where the goals come from though. Valencia will be there or there about but I definitely think Sociedad are the better team. I think Sevilla might surprise a few, yes they lost Navas and Negredo but I think they have done some shrewd business. However call me crazy but I think Sociedad can push Atletico for 3rd place.

Read something interesting though about Michu saying its easier to score in the premier league then La Liga as a striker :beard:
(edited 10 years ago)
Pretty excited for tonight. First real test to gauge the squad. Hopefully Neymar starts and so does Fabregas as well although they may rest him.

Hate that its two legged though just make it one and done.
Del Bosque will be the downfall of Spain imo.. are they planning on replacing him any time soon? He's basically chosen his players regardless of form or injury or playing time and I don't think he'll change from his favourites. That will make Spain too predictable imo.
Original post by Zerforax
Del Bosque will be the downfall of Spain imo.. are they planning on replacing him any time soon? He's basically chosen his players regardless of form or injury or playing time and I don't think he'll change from his favourites. That will make Spain too predictable imo.

Think the World Cup is his last event with Spain or at least he hinted that it will be. I agree he needs to start changing things around. At the Confed cup he should have stuck with the double pivot they normally have but instead of Alonso use Martinez who was as good as Alonso last season thus being highly susceptible to attacks.

Think Arbeloa's days of playing for Spain are going to be over soon. Azpi, Carvajal, and Montoya all coming through. Needs to stop persisting with his favourites though definitely.
Original post by Malevolent
Think the World Cup is his last event with Spain or at least he hinted that it will be. I agree he needs to start changing things around. At the Confed cup he should have stuck with the double pivot they normally have but instead of Alonso use Martinez who was as good as Alonso last season thus being highly susceptible to attacks.

Think Arbeloa's days of playing for Spain are going to be over soon. Azpi, Carvajal, and Montoya all coming through. Needs to stop persisting with his favourites though definitely.

He's blessed with so many options but his squad don't even need to worry about being dropped which is crazy.

Like I don't think Casillas would ever be dropped even if he didn't play all season despite there being about 5 other goalkeepers who could take the spot.
He's blessed with so many options but his squad don't even need to worry about being dropped which is crazy.

Like I don't think Casillas would ever be dropped even if he didn't play all season despite there being about 5 other goalkeepers who could take the spot.

He is definitely. Hopefully its the last I see of Arbeloa for the NT. Needs to stop persisting with Villa and Torres as well.

Mhm there was no way Iker wasn't going to start if he was healthy. Yeah Spain are not exactly short in goalkeepers they could call up.
He is definitely. Hopefully its the last I see of Arbeloa for the NT. Needs to stop persisting with Villa and Torres as well.

Mhm there was no way Iker wasn't going to start if he was healthy. Yeah Spain are not exactly short in goalkeepers they could call up.

Villa might do well at Atletico Madrid but I don't see why you'd still pick Torres.

I think Arbeloa has been chosen out of necessity in recent years but you're right that other options have come about now. Look at Alba, he's been amazing since they called him up.

I bet Spain could take two teams to the World Cup and win with either.

It's disgusting frankly.
Villa might do well at Atletico Madrid but I don't see why you'd still pick Torres.

I think Arbeloa has been chosen out of necessity in recent years but you're right that other options have come about now. Look at Alba, he's been amazing since they called him up.

I bet Spain could take two teams to the World Cup and win with either.

It's disgusting frankly.

Yeah I could see a case for Villa but not ahead of Soldado or Negredo who have been much better. If Villa picks up at Atletico then yeah pick him for sure.

Arbeloa in 2008 and 2010 was actually decent for us but hes slumped so horribly now and he offers nothing going forward either.

Players Spain could call up.

Keepers: Casillas, Reina, Valdes, De Gea, Lopez, Blanco, Guaita.

Fullbacks: Alba, Azpi, Monreal, Montoya, Carvajal, Carlos Martinez, Mallo

Center backs: Ramos: Pique, Inigo Martinez, Puyol, Botia, Albiol, San Jose.

Central midfielders: Busquets, Javi Martinez, Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi.A, Benat, Thiago, Herara, Javi Garcia, Arteta

Attacking Central Midfielders: Mata,Silva, Cazorla, Koke, Fabregas, Isco, Michu, Verdu.

Wingers: Silva, Navas, Pedro, Tello, Munian, Aspas, Joaquin,

Forwards: Llorente, Negredo, Soldado, Torres, Adrian, Villa.

Not like they're starved of talent :laugh:
Yeah I could see a case for Villa but not ahead of Soldado or Negredo who have been much better. If Villa picks up at Atletico then yeah pick him for sure.

Arbeloa in 2008 and 2010 was actually decent for us but hes slumped so horribly now and he offers nothing going forward either.

Players Spain could call up.

Keepers: Casillas, Reina, Valdes, De Gea, Lopez, Blanco, Guaita.

Fullbacks: Alba, Azpi, Monreal, Montoya, Carvajal, Carlos Martinez, Mallo

Center backs: Ramos: Pique, Inigo Martinez, Puyol, Botia, Albiol, San Jose.

Central midfielders: Busquets, Javi Martinez, Xavi, Iniesta, Xabi.A, Benat, Thiago, Herara, Javi Garcia, Arteta

Attacking Central Midfielders: Mata,Silva, Cazorla, Koke, Fabregas, Isco, Michu, Verdu.

Wingers: Silva, Navas, Pedro, Tello, Munian, Aspas, Joaquin,

Forwards: Llorente, Negredo, Soldado, Torres, Adrian, Villa.

Not like they're starved of talent :laugh:

Courtois and Asenjo for GK, Illarramendi in midfield too. And we've probably missed a couple still.
Courtois and Asenjo for GK, Illarramendi in midfield too. And we've probably missed a couple still.

Courtois is Belgian haha :tongue:

Ahhh **** forgot about Asenjo and Illarramendi!

Definitely forgotten a few :laugh:
Courtois is from Belgium lol.
Ah touche.. I am retarded. Guess I got confused since he plays in Spain. Must consult wikipedia more often before posting!
Heard a rumour Villa was so cheap because Barca were given first option on Oliver Torres. Shocking from Atletico if true!
Reply 2673
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Heard a rumour Villa was so cheap because Barca were given first option on Oliver Torres. Shocking from Atletico if true!

Why is it shocking? First option means nothing except that they are notified when they wish to sell or if a bid is placed by another club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mmmm love a bit of Oliver Torres :coma:

Original post by The Rusty Spork
Why is it shocking? First option means nothing except that they are notified when they wish to sell or if a bid is placed by another club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think its true though I think we were given first option on 3 other players but not Oliver. :sad:

Plus I think Villa wanted to leave in January but Barcelona asked him to stay for just the rest of the season and thus he was allowed to move to a club of his choice for staying.

By rumour, you mean Guillem Balague on Revista? lol

I heard that and tbh, with the price being that low, it could have some base to it. I wouldn't blame Barcelona for doing that but midfield is hardly a problem area for them but one to keep an eye for the future.
Original post by Aky786UK

I heard that and tbh, with the price being that low, it could have some base to it. I wouldn't blame Barcelona for doing that but midfield is hardly a problem area for them but one to keep an eye for the future.

I've seen Oliver Torres play and he is a special talent :coma:

The deal seemed a bit fishy to me at the time and now I understand why Villa was so cheap.

Original post by The Rusty Spork

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't mean nothing. It means if another club makes a bid, then Barca can enter the negotiations ahead of the bidding club. For example, Arsenal could have exercised their first option for Cesc if he wanted to leave this summer, and would have stood a good chance of getting him over Man Utd. If it meant nothing I'm pretty sure Arsenal would not have been so insistent on the clause being in his contract.
Original post by Aky786UK

I've seen Oliver Torres play and he is a special talent :coma:

The deal seemed a bit fishy to me at the time and now I understand why Villa was so cheap.

It doesn't mean nothing. It means if another club makes a bid, then Barca can enter the negotiations ahead of the bidding club. For example, Arsenal could have exercised their first option for Cesc if he wanted to leave this summer, and would have stood a good chance of getting him over Man Utd. If it meant nothing I'm pretty sure Arsenal would not have been so insistent on the clause being in his contract.

I've heard it be that they have first refusal or whatever on 3 players. Saul, Torres, Koke and Manquillo have been the names quoted.

It could be true but it might also be down to the fact because Villa stayed Barcelona let him go to a club of his choice as a sort of appreciation for staying for that remainder of the season, not to mention he was on extremely high wages.

And yeah Oliver Torres is something else, such poise. Hes a little bit of a mix of Xavi and Iniesta, strings the midfield together but can dribble with it as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Barca to win 3-1 today in the Calderon...
Valdes - Alves Pique Mascherano Alba - Xavi Busquets Iniesta - Alexis Messi Pedro is the team that starts.

Not really surprised.

Latest