The Student Room Group

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ATLA.4.Life
I got the exact same in regards to maths (A at GCSE, E at AS), and to be honest with you its our fault.

We coasted through Maths at GCSE level and probably just crammed a week before the exam.

Coming from that we then didn't work hard enough for AS and now we're paying the price. All you can do is buckle down and work harder for the future. Either retake the year if all your results are that bad, or try do something like taking 2 A2's and 2 AS's in year 13.

Good Luck and Stay Strong.

Thx for the advise, I got BCE this yr and want to retake 3 exams. Do that sound like i'm taking on too much?? This means that i will have 7 exams next yr, but i'm definitely willing to put in the hard work to get a BBB minimum.
Hello! Just wondering if it would be worth getting one of my latin papers remarked. I'm on 79/100ums on one of the A2 modules. Taking into account the grade boundaries, this means I got about 66-67/100 raw score, which just doesn't feel right as I thought I nailed the paper. My other paper was 86/100, so I'm still on an A overall, but the next grade up is 15 ums away. I don't think I could gain 15ums on this paper, so in the grand scheme of things remarking this paper would only be able to boost the module grade rather than my overall grade, so I don't really think it's worth it in that regard. But then I still don't think that 79ums reflects how well I did. My uni place is already secure. Any advice? Thanks :smile:
Hello!

I was wondering if I could have some advice

I got A in biology, B in chemistry (3 marks off an A), C in maths (2 marks off a B), C in physics (dropping this year).

I got 2A*, 6 A's, 2 B's at GCSE

I haven't sat my UKCAT yet but I have it booked for the 31st of August

I have a wide range of work experience and long term volunteering all of which is for a minimum of a year.

I want to study medicine but I am unsure whether it is worth applying this year or applying after a biomedical sciences degree as a post graduate ?

Advice please ?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 103
Hello, can any one plzzzzzz visit my thread and give advise as it would be really beneficial and I am in need of it http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2436495 Thank you!!!!!
Reply 104
hey , am new here , but I've got a big problem ... x_x , like in my igcse's I got 1A 4Bs 2Cs , I know my result isn't good but am not smart enough :/ nd in gr.11 I took both bio and phy , edexcel !!! in jan I failed in the 2 of dem , but in june I got a B in bio but a U in phy O.o , so does dat mean I have to rpt gr.11 ?!! x_x
Reply 105
nd some1 told me that I have to take another 2 subjects in order to pass , so I chose English nd Arabic AS , but am forced to take then in November , but the problem is that English edexcel is way harder than eng Cambridge ! nd if I took eng Cambridge , de exam will b in jan nd like dis I was told i'll b repeating gr.11 :frown: I rlly need any1's help ( nd I actually live in the uae ) ://
Reply 106
AS level results: DEE
A2 level results BCC

Work hard and start revision early, I left revision late even in my second year and it was very stressful but somehow passed my A levels. Not the greatest results but I passed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am 1 UMS off a grade C overall in maths and I was thinking of getting my 2 summer papers (C4 and M1) remarked.
My maths teacher said she has never seen a maths paper go up in UMS from our school.
I already have a place at uni but I'd feel so much better with a C overall in maths.
Is it worth getting the remark? I have until Wednesday to contact my school and go for it.
Original post by Alotties
I am 1 UMS off a grade C overall in maths and I was thinking of getting my 2 summer papers (C4 and M1) remarked.
My maths teacher said she has never seen a maths paper go up in UMS from our school.
I already have a place at uni but I'd feel so much better with a C overall in maths.
Is it worth getting the remark? I have until Wednesday to contact my school and go for it.

Significant increases in marks following a remark aren't especially likely in Maths, where the marking will generally be to a fairly rigid mark scheme. That said, as you only need 1 additional UMS it's certainly possible that you could pick this up somewhere and even if your mark fell, it's unlikely that you'd lose enough marks to drop a grade. If you're prepared to cover the cost of a remark by all means ask for one, but don't be too disappointed if your mark doesn't increase.
Original post by GeorgeOfTheWoods
Hello!

I was wondering if I could have some advice

I got A in biology, B in chemistry (3 marks off an A), C in maths (2 marks off a B), C in physics (dropping this year).

I got 2A*, 6 A's, 2 B's at GCSE

I haven't sat my UKCAT yet but I have it booked for the 31st of August

I have a wide range of work experience and long term volunteering all of which is for a minimum of a year.

I want to study medicine but I am unsure whether it is worth applying this year or applying after a biomedical sciences degree as a post graduate ?

Advice please ?

Thank you :smile:

Check the individual medical schools as some require a higher grade than you have for an AS. If you are predicted 3 As and think you can get in with perhaps a resit for the AS then apply now. Graduate medicine is more competitive than undergraduate so if set on medicine you should apply now if at all possible. You'll need to check med schools carefully, start with the wiki on this site.

Medicine is a long and difficult course that people go into thinking they will be surgeons when most become gps. The hours are antisocial, you have to study lifelong, there are many other good careers. If you arent set on medicine do something else.

(parent of student starting at med school this year)
Reply 110
Original post by parentlurker
Check the individual medical schools as some require a higher grade than you have for an AS. If you are predicted 3 As and think you can get in with perhaps a resit for the AS then apply now. Graduate medicine is more competitive than undergraduate so if set on medicine you should apply now if at all possible. You'll need to check med schools carefully, start with the wiki on this site.

Medicine is a long and difficult course that people go into thinking they will be surgeons when most become gps. The hours are antisocial, you have to study lifelong, there are many other good careers. If you arent set on medicine do something else.

(parent of student starting at med school this year)

Hi, can someone please help me clear something up??

If you finished your A Levels in June 2013 (and you've just had results) can you still resit an A2 exam this January (2014) - or have the government changed it already so that you can't retake and would have todo the whole two years again??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arty
Hi, can someone please help me clear something up??

If you finished your A Levels in June 2013 (and you've just had results) can you still resit an A2 exam this January (2014) - or have the government changed it already so that you can't retake and would have todo the whole two years again??

Posted from TSR Mobile

There won't be any A2 exams in January 2014 - the next ones will be June 2014 - but you shouldn't need to retake all modules.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 112
Original post by Illusionary
There won't be any A2 exams in January 2014 - the next ones will be June 2014 - but you shouldn't need to retake all modules.

really, so no exams at all for GCE students in Jan 2014?

But I could retake the 1 A2 exam in June 2014?

Thanks
I want to study a science related course at university and I have got my As level results recently and I got:

Psychology: 90% UMS
Law: A
Biology: C (redoing my isa and will push up to an B, as I'm a few ums of a B)
Chemistry: C

So know I don't know which subject to drop as I'm considering applying for either biomedical science or optomertry. Which require an ABB/ AAB.

So some advice please,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 114
Original post by luqman15
I want to study a science related course at university and I have got my As level results recently and I got:

Psychology: 90% UMS
Law: A
Biology: C (redoing my isa and will push up to an B, as I'm a few ums of a B)
Chemistry: C

So know I don't know which subject to drop as I'm considering applying for either biomedical science or optomertry. Which require an ABB/ AAB.

So some advice please,

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have a vague idea of which universities you want to apply to, you can always check the online prospectus to see if they require any specific subjects. I have no idea about optometry, but I'm fairy certain biomedical science requires chemistry and advises you to take biology.
Reply 115
hi, I really could do with some guidance, I was wondering if it is possible to get C grades in AS level up to A grades in A2?
Original post by ninjagirl
hi, I really could do with some guidance, I was wondering if it is possible to get C grades in AS level up to A grades in A2?

Yep, possible though not easy. Assuming that this is for a subject with a maximum of 600 UMS at A2, a grade C at AS equates to 180-209 out of 300 at AS. For an A overall, you need to take that to a total of 480 - meaning at least 271/300 UMS for your A2 modules. You could of course also consider requesting a remark or retaking some of your AS modules with the aim of improving your grade,
Reply 117
Hi I need some advice. I got U,U,D,E at AS level and I was wondering if it was possible to carry onto A2 with any of them:confused: I would probably retake one of the subjects I got a U in but then would it be possible to get my grades up to Cs from D and E
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by fish100
Hi I need some advice. I got U,U,D,E at AS level and I was wondering if it was possible to carry onto A2 with any of them:confused: I would probably retake one of the subjects I got a U in but then would it be possible to get my grades up to Cs from D and E

This will be down to your school's policy - get in touch with them asap.
Reply 119
Original post by Illusionary
This will be down to your school's policy - get in touch with them asap.

My school said they cannot let me back into year 13 but hopefully after a meeting with the head they let me back in....do you think they will

Quick Reply

Latest