The Student Room Group

SQA Results Day 2013 - Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ladymarshmallow
Ah, that sounds like such an interesting and challenging course. I think I shall also apply for Modern History, along with Russian at St Andrews, and am currently considering applying to UCL, Glasgow, and Edinburgh as well. As for my 5th choice, I'm deliberating whether I should apply for the same at Durham, or straight history or MML (German and Russian) at Cambridge. So I'm still undecided! :smile:

Yeah, the course should (touchwood) be really good.
St Andrews is certainly high in the Modern History rankings, so it would be a good choice, though I can (of course) see the appeal of Cambridge.
Personally didn't apply, if only due to the fact that St Andrews is a great Uni, which wouldn't cost 27,000 over 3 years+accommodation. Then again intellectually, it must be an incredibly stimulating and vibrant environment. Russian sounds interesting, a language that must be so useful in the study of history, particularly anything post 18th century. New Source material coming out regularly as well.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by pinkmascaragirl
I want to do law next year too. What did you get in fifth year? Did you get a conditional or... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't do as well as I would have liked in 5th year - other things got in the way. I received AAABC, giving me unconditionals to Aberdeen and Dundee. Conditionals to Strathclyde and Glasgow. And a rejection from Edinburgh. The only reason I was not rejected from Glasgow like I was from Edinburgh was due to the LNAT aptitude test that Glasgow has. I did well in this which enabled them to offer me a place. Just thought i'd add that as it would be very rare for someone to be accepted for Law at Glasgow with grades like mine unless they preform very well in LNAT/ outstanding personal statement etc.
Ah, that sounds like such an interesting and challenging course. I think I shall also apply for Modern History, along with Russian at St Andrews, and am currently considering applying to UCL, Glasgow, and Edinburgh as well. As for my 5th choice, I'm deliberating whether I should apply for the same at Durham, or straight history or MML (German and Russian) at Cambridge. So I'm still undecided! :smile:

Russian, an interesting choice, our school doesn't even offer Spanish!
Original post by EcosseSchottland
Russian, an interesting choice, our school doesn't even offer Spanish!

Yes, perhaps not the most conventional! However, I spent 5 years of my life in a former USSR republic, Azerbaijan, which made me interested in learning the language. :smile:
Original post by Demented Guy
Yeah, the course should (touchwood) be really good.
St Andrews is certainly high in the Modern History rankings, so it would be a good choice, though I can (of course) see the appeal of Cambridge.
Personally didn't apply, if only due to the fact that St Andrews is a great Uni, which wouldn't cost 27,000 over 3 years+accommodation. Then again intellectually, it must be an incredibly stimulating and vibrant environment. Russian sounds interesting, a language that must be so useful in the study of history, particularly anything post 18th century. New Source material coming out regularly as well.

Yes, the course seems to be very well reputed, with a lot of flexibility which is a plus for me. St A's is definitely my top Scottish choice, and going there would be worthwhile in terms of coming out in a financially stable position, because of not having the fees hanging over your head. Yes, I always think that studying a language would complement something like history/international relations very well, since it would allow for greater ease when it comes to accessing primary materials and such-like (eg being able to read Russian archives). :smile:
Yes, the course seems to be very well reputed, with a lot of flexibility which is a plus for me. St A's is definitely my top Scottish choice, and going there would be worthwhile in terms of coming out in a financially stable position, because of not having the fees hanging over your head. Yes, I always think that studying a language would complement something like history/international relations very well, since it would allow for greater ease when it comes to accessing primary materials and such-like (eg being able to read Russian archives). :smile:

Indeed, I have no natural aptitude for languages whatsoever, so I am at a slight disadvantage. Fortunately, philosophy typically entails the study of a few (very well translated) primary texts, so it is less of a problem.

St Andrew's is well reputed for languages, and the flexibility of the degree is a large plus as well.

What was it like in Azerbaijan, as would be expected, my knowledge of it is limited. Only thing I really know was that the Russians exploited it's resources pretty badly (as in Ukraine) post 1920's. Saying that, it is nothing on the US's exploitation of natural resources in Venezuela, Iran, Guatemala . . .

Politically, it must be a real mish-mash as well, purely intellectually really interesting, yet alone the direct experience of the culture (which must have been multifaceted).

Anyway, I digress.
(edited 10 years ago)
Yes, perhaps not the most conventional! However, I spent 5 years of my life in a former USSR republic, Azerbaijan, which made me interested in learning the language. :smile:

Small world, my friend just moved to Azerbaijan and I spent some time this summer with him. How young were you when you went to Azerbaijan? And I thought they spoke Azeri?
Original post by Princepieman
Small world, my friend just moved to Azerbaijan and I spent some time this summer with him. How young were you when you went to Azerbaijan? And I thought they spoke Azeri?

Ahh, it's a very small world indeed! I lived in Azerbaijan from 2005 to 2009, so between the ages of 8 and 13. Yes, they do speak Azeri, although Russian is (at least was, when I was there) fairly widespread because of it formerly being in the Soviet Union. Recently, however, there's been more efforts to de-Russify the country (eg surname alteration).

Also, given the situation with the current way loans are provided, you wouldn't necessarily be too financially affected. I think you have to start earning £22,000 before the loans kick in and even then you'll only pay £36 per month. Though, as with all taxes - this essentially being one as it does not affect your mortgage or credit score - the amount naturally scales alongside your income. With the upper limit being around 9%. So you'll only be hindered if you earn exorbitant amounts, but I think paying it won't be as much of a concern once you reach those income levels.
Original post by Demented Guy
Indeed, I have no natural aptitude for languages whatsoever, so I am at a slight disadvantage. Fortunately, philosophy typically entails the study of a few (very well translated) primary texts, so it is less of a problem.

St Andrew's is well reputed for languages, and the flexibility of the degree is a large plus as well.

What was it like in Azerbaijan, as would be expected, my knowledge of it is limited. Only thing I really know was that the Russians exploited it's resources pretty badly (as in Ukraine) post 1920's. Saying that, it is nothing on the US's exploitation of natural resources in Venezuela, Iran, Guatemala . . .

Politically, it must be a real mish-mash as well, purely intellectually really interesting, yet alone the direct experience of the culture (which must have been multifaceted).

Anyway, I digress.

I doubt that you're completely without any sort of aptitude for languages!
Yes, St Andrews appeals to me largely because of this, and I like the fact that in Scotland you do a four year degree, which, in my opinion, allows you to mature intellectually before honours years.
Living in Azerbaijan was certainly a unique experience, although I must say that it's not somewhere I would like to live permanently. You're correct about the exploitation - there was a town about 30 minutes drive away from Baku (the capital city), called Sumgayit, which was formerly used as a Soviet industrial plant, and is distinctly ugly and devoid of charm I have to say (google images to see what I mean!). Now, there are many abandoned and rusting factories - I recall once, whilst going up north to the Caucasus for a camping trip, one of our party taking a photo of the factories, and then being questioned at the local police station for over three hours for suspicious behaviour! Luckily nothing came of it.
Perhaps I sound like a politically ignorant dweeb, but living as an expat, you are largely dissociated from the life of the normal people. I mean, you live in a compound with other expats, so it's a 'bubble' like atmosphere. That being said, driving round the city you were constantly bombarded with large-size posters of the current president and especially his father, Heydar Aliyev who also ruled; there's actually been a 'cult of personality' which has developed around him, and he is viewed with reverence - I find this particularly interesting.
Prior to the Eurovision song contest in 2011, when they staged it, there was actually a BBC panorama programme aired about corruption and lack of freedom of expression there, which was interesting, not least viewing it as an 'insider' of sorts. I doubt it would still be available on the BBC website, perhaps on Youtube, but I would urge you to watch it if you're so inclined. :smile:
Also, given the situation with the current way loans are provided, you wouldn't necessarily be too financially affected. I think you have to start earning £22,000 before the loans kick in and even then you'll only pay £36 per month. Though, as with all taxes - this essentially being one as it does not affect your mortgage or credit score - the amount naturally scales alongside your income. With the upper limit being around 9%. So you'll only be hindered if you earn exorbitant amounts, but I think paying it won't be as much of a concern once you reach those income levels.

Ahhh, okay, thank you for the clarification. :smile:
Ahh, it's a very small world indeed! I lived in Azerbaijan from 2005 to 2009, so between the ages of 8 and 13. Yes, they do speak Azeri, although Russian is (at least was, when I was there) fairly widespread because of it formerly being in the Soviet Union. Recently, however, there's been more efforts to de-Russify the country (eg surname alteration).

Indeed it is! Oh, so quite recent then. I'm assuming your parent(s) moved there for their careers? My friend moved over last winter, I believe. It must've have been quite an interesting experience for you! I was in Saudi around that time and settled over here in '08. I see, I did get a very Russian vibe from the buildings and such but mostly I didn't come across much of the language. It's about time, it's great to see them solidify their independence by disassociating themselves from the Russians - they have enough resources to become a prominent global player now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ahhh, okay, thank you for the clarification. :smile:

No problem! :biggrin:
Indeed it is! Oh, so quite recent then. I'm assuming your parent(s) moved there for their careers? My friend moved over last winter, I believe. It must've have been quite an interesting experience for you! I was in Saudi around that time and settled over here in '08. I see, I did get a very Russian vibe from the buildings and such but mostly I didn't come across much of the language. It's about time, it's great to see them solidify their independent by disassociating themselves from the Russians - they have a wealth of resources to become a prominent player now.

Yes, my dad works in the oil industry, which is the main reason for relocation there! Off-topic, but I see you also live in Aberdeen? If you don't mind my asking, which school are you at? (you don't need to tell me if you're uncomfortable with it). Yes, I think Russian is being discouraged more and more in favour of Azeri. An interesting point that my father made though is that, for the Azeris who worked in the company, Russian was definitely the favoured language when it came to business, because Azeri was not really seen as practical when it came to that. Hmm, yes, I think over the years the country has increasingly sought to assert itself as its own major player, which is even evidenced through things such as the large-scale skyscraper building projects in town - an effort to gentrify the city, perhaps.
Yes, my dad works in the oil industry, which is the main reason for relocation there! Off-topic, but I see you also live in Aberdeen? If you don't mind my asking, which school are you at? (you don't need to tell me if you're uncomfortable with it). Yes, I think Russian is being discouraged more and more in favour of Azeri. An interesting point that my father made though is that, for the Azeris who worked in the company, Russian was definitely the favoured language when it came to business, because Azeri was not really seen as practical when it came to that. Hmm, yes, I think over the years the country has increasingly sought to assert itself as its own major player, which is even evidenced through things such as the large-scale skyscraper building projects in town - an effort to gentrify the city, perhaps.

Ah, of course the same with mine. I've lived in about 4 countries due to his career. I don't mind, though you may have seen the case with one of our teachers in the news - Portlethen Academy. I was formerly at the International School but moved because of proximity to our house. And you? (If you want you could tell me in a message)

Interesting point, I can definitely see how it would be the more favoured language. The shear land mass Russia occupies would make it a very viable trade partner; being able to communicate in Russian would help immensely in building this equalised relationship. I agree, it's also quite prominent within most other former colonies, this need to create an identity of their own, join the global marketplace and modernise their major cities.
Just needing a little help here. I only sat 3 highers last year & I achieved AAB. I was looking at glasgow Uni but it seems to me ill receive no conditional offers. Is that correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile
When we submit our offers to university through UCAS do the Unis get to see out bands, exact percentage or just marks, and if yes are they right there or do they have to go searching through databases and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1737
Original post by LionKing1
When we submit our offers to university through UCAS do the Unis get to see out bands, exact percentage or just marks, and if yes are they right there or do they have to go searching through databases and stuff?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I matriculated with Edinburgh Uni my form had all of my 2012 & 2013 exam results with the bands, so the unis must be given this information :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1738
Original post by weejackie10
Just needing a little help here. I only sat 3 highers last year & I achieved AAB. I was looking at glasgow Uni but it seems to me ill receive no conditional offers. Is that correct?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the subject. They require 4+ subjects though for most of their requirements so it may be difficult to get a conditional.

*2004 to 2009. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending