The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

How lenient are Aston on the grade requirements?

For my course I need AAB however in clearing its ABB. Does it go any lower than this? Has anyone got in below ABB?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by emralph
I missed my offer by one grade and they didn't let me in, so I had to apply through clearing to do a different course. Thought it was pretty harsh considering I was so close, but guess that course was just really competitive

Thanks for the reply. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what course is it?
Reply 3
Original post by >Username<
Thanks for the reply. :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what course is it?

No worries! It was for Psychology. I'm going to try and switch in the first couple of weeks
Reply 4
Original post by emralph
No worries! It was for Psychology. I'm going to try and switch in the first couple of weeks

That's interesting. I do think that is quite harsh but if its a competitive course... What was your course called? I've been looking at the clearing vacancies and Psychology is in clearing for ABB...?

What course was your let onto? What grades did you need for it? Sorry for all the questions I'm hoping to go there and really worried about my grades. :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by emralph
Yeah it's in clearing for ABB but I got one less than that. They let me do Sociology instead, which I thought was a bit weird considering I've done Psychology already for two years, but never done Sociology before. Logic.. but on the phone on results day I never got to speak to anyone from the Psychology department, only their admin staff employed to follow instructions, so when I get there I'll go to Psychology, show them how close I was and hope for a swap. If not, I'll put up with Sociology for a year, hopefully do well and work hard, then change. But that means adding thousands to my debt :/

I wish someone else would reply to this thread, lol. I'm getting quite worried. :frown:

I really hope it works out for you. :smile: Hopefully you'll be able to change when I was at the open day someone did mention this option but they said it was risky. :s-smilie: So then you'd do the whole year then change to Psychology meaning starting Psychology again? I didn't get the last bit of it adding thousands to your debt, that's why.

Do you know anyone else who wanted to go to Aston but got lower?
Reply 6
I wish someone else would reply to this thread, lol. I'm getting quite worried. :frown:

Do you know anyone else who wanted to go to Aston but got lower?

My A-Levels were way below (B and C's) I got into the Aston Business School through clearing last year. I guessed it helped that I am an international fee-paying student.
Reply 7
I originially applied for optom but didn't get it, then through clearing i got in for mech eng even though they wanted ABB/BBB and i had BBC
Reply 8
Original post by flyhigh234
My A-Levels were way below (B and C's) I got into the Aston Business School through clearing last year. I guessed it helped that I am an international fee-paying student.

Thanks for the reply. :smile: What course did you apply for? Do you know anyone else who got it when their grades were below the grade requirements?
Reply 9
Original post by Tempzzz
I originially applied for optom but didn't get it, then through clearing i got in for mech eng even though they wanted ABB/BBB and i had BBC

Thanks for the reply. :smile: So, did you change your course once you got there? Or are you still doing Mechanical Engineering?
Reply 10
Bump.
I think it really depends on the course, I got in to do Computing Science and the required grades were BBB and my actual were BBC :smile:

Good luck anyways!

Posted from TSR Mobile
For my course I need AAB however in clearing its ABB. Does it go any lower than this? Has anyone got in below ABB?

I can only speak for Biomedical Science, but they asked for ABB, with a B in Biology, and I got in with ABC, with a C in Biology, so I guess they are lenient to an extent :smile:
One of the things that was said on the open day though was that Aston is much more likely to accept with lower grades than your offer if you firm them (put them as your firm choice).
Hope I helped :smile:
Reply 13
Missed grades completely but got in with BBC
Reply 14
Original post by Skaterkid
Missed grades completely but got in with BBC

If you don't mind me asking, what was the course and what were the requirements?
Hi,

I visited the Wednesday 18th September Open Day and managed to talk to the admissions tutor for the single honours psychology course, I asked him and the joint honours admissions tutor about applying on AACC and they seemed happy with that idea and said they would even think about giving me a conditional offer as the points add up fine to ABB.

The psychology course was AAB-ABB (with the general B maths grades and C English)
I was really impressed with the university and incredibly relieved to hear straight from the admissions tutor about the entry grades.
He said that grades are the most important thing in determining whether they would say yes, if they were unsure they would look at GCSE grades and after those any experiences or other relevant things you may have done.

I was really nervous about it before but am a bit scared after hearing about the person who missed the conditional offer with one grade difference...

Any more information from people who have applied to Aston would be appreciated by me too!

Listener15 :smile:
Original post by Listener15
Hi,

I visited the Wednesday 18th September Open Day and managed to talk to the admissions tutor for the single honours psychology course, I asked him and the joint honours admissions tutor about applying on AACC and they seemed happy with that idea and said they would even think about giving me a conditional offer as the points add up fine to ABB.

The psychology course was AAB-ABB (with the general B maths grades and C English)
I was really impressed with the university and incredibly relieved to hear straight from the admissions tutor about the entry grades.
He said that grades are the most important thing in determining whether they would say yes, if they were unsure they would look at GCSE grades and after those any experiences or other relevant things you may have done.

I was really nervous about it before but am a bit scared after hearing about the person who missed the conditional offer with one grade difference...

Any more information from people who have applied to Aston would be appreciated by me too!

Listener15 :smile:

thank you so much for this post... you have really put me at ease!!
Aston gave me an offer of ABB. After putting them as my firm, supriseingly they let me in with CCCEB! So yeah, don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by hannabelle_
aston gave me an offer of abb. After putting them as my firm, supriseingly they let me in with ccceb! So yeah, don't worry too much :smile:

this year???
What course did you do??
Original post by TruliiSmiliyy
this year???
What course did you do??

Yeah, I'm in my first year at Aston now studying Translation Studies: Spanish.
If you're hoping to do a business course I don't think they'd be as lenient, as it is their best school, but they'd still be lenient a bit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest