The Student Room Group

*DENTISTRY - AS Results Day 2013*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wintabix
What UKCAT score did you get if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

630 :smile:
Reply 41
I want to study dentistry in the UK and my AS grades are ABBBD. A in Chemistry, B in Biology/Mathematics/Economics and D in Thinking Skills. I am worried that I may not even get an A level prediction of AAB, the lowest from all the dental university. I admit that taking Thinking Skills was a horrible idea and it is tarnishing my overall grades and I don't know what to do! I did get 4 A*/3 A/2 B/1 C in IGs, 4 A*s being Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics, if that helps. I haven't done my UKCAT yet and I have done some work on my personal statement. I am planning on taking Chem, Bio, Maths and Econ for A levels but may drop Maths or Econ in winter. I would like someone to advise me what would be the best uni that suits my grades so far. Is there even a chance I can get anywhere in the UK? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks
Original post by anika1705
I would really like to dentistry at university.
These are the grades I got in my AS.
Biology A
Chemistry A
Maths A
Psychology C (dropping) but I am going to get it re-marked.

For my GCSE's I got:
Maths A*
Biology B
Chemistry A
Physics A
French B
RS B
Geography B
Eng Lan/Lit B/B
Art B
RMT B

I have looked into the requirements required by all the uni's and have considered applying to 4 out of the 5 uni's:
Plymouth
Glasgow
Cardiff
Leeds
Dundee

Do I have a chance....? and does anyone know what UKCAT score, I would need to get in order to be considered????

When choosing which dental schools to apply to make sure you pick unis that are happy with a c in the 4th AS. Also just double check the GCSE requirements as some want a specific grade in a specific subjects such as English, Maths and Science - should be fine, just double check.

Original post by xXxnoora95xXx
i was hoping to get grades i wanted but i fudged yup doubt i stand a chance:frown:

What grades did you get? Do you know where you went wrong/how you could improve?

Original post by SS19ovoxo
would I still be able to get an offer for dentistry even though I'm planning to repeat my AS-level year, I got BBBC and I needed AAAB for Kings, Queen Mary's etc someone please reply! xo

If you re-sit your AS year, you'll be completing your a-levels over 3 years. This may make it much harder to get in. Do you think you'd be able to resit modules during year 13?

Original post by solitarysniper
Hi for my AS results I got:

Maths: A
Chemistry: B
Biology: C
Physics: C

I'm planning on dropping physics but still resitting my AS modules for it.
Is it worth me applying for dentistry with these grades? Realistically what predicted grades am I looking at and what Dental schools can I apply to with these grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What grades you're predicted are all dependant on what your teachers think. Do you think you can get your grades up to 3As. Remember if you were to be unsuccessful this year there is always the opportunity of applying with your grades next year :smile:

Original post by Joey Tribbiani
OKay my turn,

Well i got ABBB
Maths: A - 274/300
Chemistry: B - 238/300 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
History: B - 158/200 2UMS/1raw mark off an overall A
Biology: B - middle b grade

Now i wanna get a remark for chem and history.
Best case scenario is i get remarked and end up with AAAB but im dropping history. so ill have AAB to take to a2 and hopefully predicted A*AA
worst case scenario is i still have ABBB and i take ABB to A2 and get predicted A*AA

I havent done any work experience whatsoever but i have loads to come after the UCAS deadline of october 15.

So will my AS grades be enough, and could i write my plans for work experience or should i bull**** that ive done it before hand then if i get interviews i will have done the placements.

the unis im thinking of applying are: Birmingham, leeds, liverpool, bristol and plymouth all of which non UKCAT. but ill look at others and sit my UKCAT in september too.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I'd suggest you didn't lie on your personal statement. Is there any way you can do some work experience before the 15th of Oct? A key part of the PS is reflecting on what you've learnt/seen and why you want to be a dentist - all of which come from your work experience.

Original post by xeen44
So friggin depressed after the results day .Didn't expect my parents to be so supportive though , its the second time i repeated a/s and i just dont get what the examiner actually wants from our answers i got an E for chem n bio and a U AGAIN for physics ! If anyone could help me out n give me a few advices and tips on how to answer questions , revision, etc id be really thankful . Does it have anything to do with the fact that i get nervous ( A LLLLLOOOOOOTTTT) before every exams , the fear of failing actually made me fail :frown: i wanted to be a dentist too, i just love how dentistry is like a mixture of arts n science . But then my friggin a/s results is the wall amd a biiiiiiiiiggg one :frown:

If this is the second time you have done your ASs, you need to really think about whether you're capable of doing Dentistry. It's not just a case of getting 3As to get in, you also need to be able to pass each year once you're there. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

In terms of improving your grades, have you thought about some relaxation techniques so you wont be so nervous? Or try changing your revision strategies :smile:
Original post by orange.bananna

I'd suggest you didn't lie on your personal statement. Is there any way you can do some work experience before the 15th of Oct? A key part of the PS is reflecting on what you've learnt/seen and why you want to be a dentist - all of which come from your work experience.

The thing is ive finally got work experience after months scouring for placements. And now im desperately trying to get something sorted before we go back to college, as my college wont allow me to take days offf, theyve given me set dates for work experience. adn theyre all after october 15.

im going to try get a placement in September and convincing my college to give me a week off.
Reply 44
When choosing which dental schools to apply to make sure you pick unis that are happy with a c in the 4th AS. Also just double check the GCSE requirements as some want a specific grade in a specific subjects such as English, Maths and Science - should be fine, just double check.

What grades did you get? Do you know where you went wrong/how you could improve?

If you re-sit your AS year, you'll be completing your a-levels over 3 years. This may make it much harder to get in. Do you think you'd be able to resit modules during year 13?

What grades you're predicted are all dependant on what your teachers think. Do you think you can get your grades up to 3As. Remember if you were to be unsuccessful this year there is always the opportunity of applying with yogrades next year :smile:

If this is the second time you have done your ASs, you need to really think about whether you're capable of doing Dentistry. It's not just a case of getting 3As to get in, you also need to be able to pass each year once you're there. Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear.

In terms of improving your grades, have you thought about some relaxation techniques so you wont be so nervous? Or try changing your revision strategies :smile:

Buddy i got an ABBCC for my igcse's thats A for bio B for chem C for physics bear n mind i studied em all by my self since i live in a rural area in saudi arabia i know i can do so much better than just EEU ive heard so many candidates complaining they expected much more than what they got , i am one of em too yes i should try different methods of revising . Thanks anyway
Reply 45
Hey everybody

At as level this year i got
Physics-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Maths-A
I should get a prediction of A*A*A*B as I am not dropping any of them. I was wondering are my grades good enough?
for gcse i got
Additional Science- A*A*
Core science-A
Maths-A
Eng Lang-A
End Lit-A
French-B
Citizenship-B
Stats-B
RE-B
Drama-C
Add Maths-E
FSMQ-B
I was thinking do i have a chance to get into Queens Mary , Kings , Glasgow and Birmingham ?
Thanks
Reply 46
Original post by xeen44
So friggin depressed after the results day .Didn't expect my parents to be so supportive though , its the second time i repeated a/s and i just dont get what the examiner actually wants from our answers i got an E for chem n bio and a U AGAIN for physics ! If anyone could help me out n give me a few advices and tips on how to answer questions , revision, etc id be really thankful . Does it have anything to do with the fact that i get nervous ( A LLLLLOOOOOOTTTT) before every exams , the fear of failing actually made me fail :frown: i wanted to be a dentist too, i just love how dentistry is like a mixture of arts n science . But then my friggin a/s results is the wall amd a biiiiiiiiiggg one :frown:

Are you having trouble understanding the content, or answering the exam questions?
Original post by V10Matt
Hi there, I was just looking on tsr and I read this post and I could totally relate to it as it is a near mirror image of what my situation was. After my results in the summer of AS year I was on BBBB, with at worst 17 marks off an A in my chemistry, I was absolutely gutted and was sure that I would not be predicted AAA to apply (for dentistry). But then I went into my college, spoke to all my teachers and really convinced them I could do it, in the end to my delight I got predicted 3 A's and applied to university.

I worked really hard in second year, completely changed my revision style and managed to get A's in all 7 exams I did in June and now I'm going to study dentistry at Cardiff in September, so trust me don't get down you can really do it :smile:

and p.s I had MUCH less work experience than you (2 weeks) and an allriggghttt UKCAT but I hated that anyway!!

Oh my goodness, thank you so so much for replying, I think you've been the most helpful person I've talked to since I got my results... I really really want to do dentistry, I know everyone else wants to do dentistry, but I want to do it so badly that I can't think of anything else to do in my life other than that, I know it sounds pretty sad but yeah... I guess I'll have to beg on my knees to my teachers for A predictions if need be. Sorry to be such a pest but do you mind if I mail you? It would be amazing if I could get some tips (like revision methods) from someone that's already been in my position, been through the whole process.
By the way a really big well done for getting into Cardiff and getting the grades, you deserve it working that hard :smile:
Original post by Joey Tribbiani
The thing is ive finally got work experience after months scouring for placements. And now im desperately trying to get something sorted before we go back to college, as my college wont allow me to take days offf, theyve given me set dates for work experience. adn theyre all after october 15.

im going to try get a placement in September and convincing my college to give me a week off.

Yea I understand it's difficult to get work experience :s-smilie: Have you thought about the possibility of a gap year, doing your work experience and then applying? How do you know you want to do Dentistry?

Original post by DENTMAN
Hey everybody

At as level this year i got
Physics-C
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Maths-A
I should get a prediction of A*A*A*B as I am not dropping any of them. I was wondering are my grades good enough?
for gcse i got
Additional Science- A*A*
Core science-A
Maths-A
Eng Lang-A
End Lit-A
French-B
Citizenship-B
Stats-B
RE-B
Drama-C
Add Maths-E
FSMQ-B
I was thinking do i have a chance to get into Queens Mary , Kings , Glasgow and Birmingham ?
Thanks

Your grades should be fine :smile:
Reply 49
Original post by number1jjga
Oh my goodness, thank you so so much for replying, I think you've been the most helpful person I've talked to since I got my results... I really really want to do dentistry, I know everyone else wants to do dentistry, but I want to do it so badly that I can't think of anything else to do in my life other than that, I know it sounds pretty sad but yeah... I guess I'll have to beg on my knees to my teachers for A predictions if need be. Sorry to be such a pest but do you mind if I mail you? It would be amazing if I could get some tips (like revision methods) from someone that's already been in my position, been through the whole process.
By the way a really big well done for getting into Cardiff and getting the grades, you deserve it working that hard :smile:

Ah that's fine don't worry about it, yeah this time last year I thought it was all over but it really wasn't :smile: Yeah that'd be great I'd be glad to help and thank you very much :smile:
Reply 50
I got

Psychology: B (retake 1 module)
Maths: C (retake S1 and C2)
Biology: D (retake all of bio AS??!?!)

and the retakes would be alongside A2 examinations next year...

any advice would be appreciated!!!
Original post by 99dm04
I got

Psychology: B (retake 1 module)
Maths: C (retake S1 and C2)
Biology: D (retake all of bio AS??!?!)

and the retakes would be alongside A2 examinations next year...

any advice would be appreciated!!!

Which subject would you not be continuing to A2?

You need to think whether it is realistic that if you were to retake your exams you'd be able to achieve 3As next summer? Do you know how you could improve this year?
Reply 52
Hi guys as results were A in biology B in chem and maths and C in physics (dropping) resitting two modules in chem and maths should hopefully bring up to A's confident I can if I get predicted A grades and a solid ukcat I have work experience volunteer work do a lot in school etc and I am so passionate about dentistry do I have a chance ?
Reply 53
Which subject would you not be continuing to A2?

You need to think whether it is realistic that if you were to retake your exams you'd be able to achieve 3As next summer? Do you know how you could improve this year?

I am planning to continue with Psychology, Chemistry, Maths
with psychology and chemistry i was a couple of marks of an A grade.
I know how i can improve, i have a plan in mind if i do decide to pursue dentistry.
In terms of being realistic i genuinely believe if that i have enough determination and motivation to do the retakes alongside the A2 exams.
Don't all beat yourselves up to much about AS results. It's what you get at A2 that matters. If you have to take a year out so be it. I went from ABB to AAA. It's easily done just hard work. Going into my last year of Dentistry now!
Original post by Anyadre
Hello everyone!
I got AAA at AS level in biology, chemistry and psychology and a pass in the Welsh Bacc. At GCSE I got 6 A*s in science, additional science, geography, ict, pe, welsh and 4 A's in maths, English literature, English language and history .
I want to apply to Manchester, Cardiff, Liverpool and unsure about the fourth Uni to do dentistry in October 2013.

Do you think I should bother applying to Manchester because on their website it says you need at least a B in a fourth AS level?
Also, how much work experience do people do before applying to do dentistry? I haven't done any dental-related as I only decided last week after getting my results that I want to do dentistry at Uni. However I have done 2 weeks work experience in a hospital, worked on a horse livery yard for a week and shadowed a vet for a week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not do a 4th AS because you did the Welsh Bacc? If this is the case just send Manchester an e-mail asking if a pass in the Welsh Bacc can be instead of the B in the 4th AS :smile:

Generally unis want a minimum of 2 weeks work experience in a GDP, but you would also be able to mention your hospital work experience in your personal statement in addition to dentistry work experience :yep:

You also need to do the UKCAT.
Original post by ellemia
Hi guys as results were A in biology B in chem and maths and C in physics (dropping) resitting two modules in chem and maths should hopefully bring up to A's confident I can if I get predicted A grades and a solid ukcat I have work experience volunteer work do a lot in school etc and I am so passionate about dentistry do I have a chance ?

If you're predicted 3As you have a chance of getting into dentistry. If you're not predicted 3As you can always apply with your grades the following year :yep:
Original post by Anonymax
I want to study dentistry in the UK and my AS grades are ABBBD. A in Chemistry, B in Biology/Mathematics/Economics and D in Thinking Skills. I am worried that I may not even get an A level prediction of AAB, the lowest from all the dental university. I admit that taking Thinking Skills was a horrible idea and it is tarnishing my overall grades and I don't know what to do! I did get 4 A*/3 A/2 B/1 C in IGs, 4 A*s being Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics, if that helps. I haven't done my UKCAT yet and I have done some work on my personal statement. I am planning on taking Chem, Bio, Maths and Econ for A levels but may drop Maths or Econ in winter. I would like someone to advise me what would be the best uni that suits my grades so far. Is there even a chance I can get anywhere in the UK? Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks

There are only 2 dental schools in the UK that have entry requirements of AAB (Glasgow and Dundee - one of them specifies that you have to get As in Biology and Chemistry - can't remember which though sorry).

Ideally you need to be predicted 3As. Your IGs sound fine, so it's just a case of improving your AS/A-level grades :smile: You can always apply with your grades the year after as well :yep:
Reply 58
Did you not do a 4th AS because you did the Welsh Bacc? If this is the case just send Manchester an e-mail asking if a pass in the Welsh Bacc can be instead of the B in the 4th AS :smile:

Generally unis want a minimum of 2 weeks work experience in a GDP, but you would also be able to mention your hospital work experience in your personal statement in addition to dentistry work experience :yep:

You also need to do the UKCAT.

I did physics for 3/4 months but dropped it. I wasn't going to take another AS because I don't want it to hinder the chances of me getting three A's in the subjects I'm already doing, as other uni's accept 3! :smile:
Ok thank you! I have secured a weeks work experience for the last week of the summer holidays then I'll be doing work exp in my frees at school which will hopefully amount to 2 weeks! :biggrin:
I'm dreading the ukcat ahaha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anyadre
I did physics for 3/4 months but dropped it. I wasn't going to take another AS because I don't want it to hinder the chances of me getting three A's in the subjects I'm already doing, as other uni's accept 3! :smile:
Ok thank you! I have secured a weeks work experience for the last week of the summer holidays then I'll be doing work exp in my frees at school which will hopefully amount to 2 weeks! :biggrin:
I'm dreading the ukcat ahaha!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Send an e-mail asking if the Welsh Bacc pass can be counted instead of a 4th AS. You're better off finding out now if that's ok, than applying and getting rejected because you don't have it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest