The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

English Literature and Creative Writing Prospective Students in Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ave.Maria.
Hey Emma, to find suggested reading for the Summer you can go to this page - http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/arts/english/currentstudents/undergraduate/modules and then click on the modules to see the background reading. The only novels they really seem to suggest reading in the Summer are: Maurice Keen, English Society in the Later Middle Ages 1348-1500 (Penguin, 1990)
J.A. Burrow, Medieval Writers and their Work, 2nd edn. (Oxford, 2008)
John Guy, Tudor England (1990)Homer, the Iliad, trans. Richmond Lattimore (Chicago UP) (ISBN 9780226469409)

Yes, thank you so much for the reply -- I've been looking at them too (clearly, research before posting would be a good idea in future.... -_- sorry if I seem like an idiot; panic sets in and messes everything up evidently)

I was coming to a similar conclusion -- there doesn't seem to be many others that they seem to specify as reading, so I'm glad to see somebody else had a similar thought! :smile:

I will have a go at Medieval Writers, but I'm not so sure about the other two history based ones considering their prices when I've been studying the Tudors and the centuries before in depth for about three years now...have you managed to chance a look at either of them? I'd like to know a bit before I throw money at getting them and find that it's things that I have already studied. :confused:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
Original post by emmasaraha
Yes, thank you so much for the reply -- I've been looking at them too (clearly, research before posting would be a good idea in future.... -_- sorry if I seem like an idiot; panic sets in and messes everything up evidently)

I was coming to a similar conclusion -- there doesn't seem to be many others that they seem to specify as reading, so I'm glad to see somebody else had a similar thought! :smile:

I will have a go at Medieval Writers, but I'm not so sure about the other two history based ones considering their prices when I've been studying the Tudors and the centuries before in depth for about three years now...have you managed to chance a look at either of them? I'd like to know a bit before I throw money at getting them and find that it's things that I have already studied. :confused:

The two I have are Tudor England and English society in the middle ages. I have to say, though the English society one is pricey, it's very thin, so that's good! but after the first few pages I felt like the guy writing it was using WAAAAAAAY to many sentences to say just one thing. I'm hoping that makes it easier to skim read... the Tudor one is actually not so bad but I've put it off until I've read the first one so as not to get it all backwards. I think they just want us to have a basic understanding of the way things were back then though rather than be historical sociologists! (I'm more of a hysterical sociologist :wink: ).
I bought sir Gawain, magic teashop, hanif kureshi just because I've been spending the summer in Sweden with no internet and needed books and thought it might be an idea to have something useful read (although I did persuade the bf's mum to turn up with some Peter Robinson :colondollar: ) also I thought they might be easier to find now than later. There will be a second hand book sale freshers week though so can probably pick some up there for good prices.
Reply 22
have you managed to chance a look at either of them? I'd like to know a bit before I throw money at getting them and find that it's things that I have already studied. :confused:

I can type the contents pages up so you know roughly what they are about if that helps?
Reply 23
Original post by Laurelia
I can type the contents pages up so you know roughly what they are about if that helps?

oh well, if that wouldn't be too much :colondollar: if there's quite a few of them, just a few would suffice...in terms of background knowledge, I feel like this would actually be one of the few topics of history where I would be prepared, hence my hesitation!

Thank you in advance, though like I said, don't if it's too much faff..

(and if I may be somewhat nosey, where in Sweden were you? I am Swedish myself, though have grown up in the UK, and have just returned from visiting family and friends in Stockholm and the south)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
oh well, if that wouldn't be too much :colondollar: if there's quite a few of them, just a few would suffice...in terms of background knowledge, I feel like this would actually be one of the few topics of history where I would be prepared, hence my hesitation!

Thank you in advance, though like I said, don't if it's too much faff..

(and if I may be somewhat nosey, where in Sweden where you? I am Swedish myself, though have grown up in the UK, and have just returned from visiting family and friends in Stockholm and the south)

I'm in Västerås atm. My boyfriend lives here and his family live in Eskilstuna. We were staying near Stora Mellösa though, just minutes from Lake Hjälmaren, perfect place to catch up on some reading!

Tudor England contents are: Advent of the Tudors, Condition of England, Henry VII, wolsey's Ascendancy, The break with Rome, Henrician Government, Politics, religion, war, Reformation and Counter-reformation, Privy Council and Parliaments, The War with Spain, The making of the Tudor State, Elizabethan government, Political culture, The Tudor fin de siecle.

English Society in Later Middle Ages are: (Part I the third estate: the commons) Social Hierarchy and Social change, Plague, depopulation and labour shortage, The life of countryside, Towns, trade and urban culture, Westminster and London (Part II - The Second Estate: The chivalry) The hundred years war, aristocracy at home, aristocratic violence. (Part III - the First estate: the clerks) The spread of literacy, The clerical estate, Popular Religion.

HTH!
Reply 25
I'm in Västerås atm. My boyfriend lives here and his family live in Eskilstuna. We were staying near Stora Mellösa though, just minutes from Lake Hjälmaren, perfect place to catch up on some reading!

Tudor England contents are: Advent of the Tudors, Condition of England, Henry VII, wolsey's Ascendancy, The break with Rome, Henrician Government, Politics, religion, war, Reformation and Counter-reformation, Privy Council and Parliaments, The War with Spain, The making of the Tudor State, Elizabethan government, Political culture, The Tudor fin de siecle.

English Society in Later Middle Ages are: (Part I the third estate: the commons) Social Hierarchy and Social change, Plague, depopulation and labour shortage, The life of countryside, Towns, trade and urban culture, Westminster and London (Part II - The Second Estate: The chivalry) The hundred years war, aristocracy at home, aristocratic violence. (Part III - the First estate: the clerks) The spread of literacy, The clerical estate, Popular Religion.

HTH!

Oh, how lovely, I'm very jealous! Eskilstuna is a beautiful place, I was past there last weekend...though most of that part of Sweden I would find perfect for reading in general :biggrin: Our summerhouse is on Oland (sorry, don't have the right keyboard for the extra letters!), and our other base just outside Stockholm -- I find I don't get to visit nearly as much as I would like. Enjoy your time there!

I'll stick to my no for purchasing them judging by those chapters, but thank you so much; that was really kind of you (:
Reply 26
I don't think I'll be able to spend as much time their next year as I have this year, sadly. Looking at term dates/reading weeks they clash with my children's school holidays. :frown: I try to spend as much time there as possible though. So you know all about the Tudors? We know who to come to when stuck in Med. Lit then! :wink:
Reply 27
I don't think I'll be able to spend as much time their next year as I have this year, sadly. Looking at term dates/reading weeks they clash with my children's school holidays. :frown: I try to spend as much time there as possible though. So you know all about the Tudors? We know who to come to when stuck in Med. Lit then! :wink:

Yes, I'm thinking the same of my trips, sadly...though it is in exchange for Warwick I suppose!

I hope I would, what with all the classes on them I've taken :tongue: Oh yes, I'm your girl on that one -- I have all the books :biggrin:
haha, that being said, I am beginning the Iliad, and my fearful days of Latin class are returning to me :grumble:
Reply 28

Haha your welcome (: I'm afraid I can't tell you much about the books since I just ordered them and they won't arrive at my house until next Thursday. I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to get the other two if you've already studied the Tudors period in depth. Unfortunately as I've been at an international school, one of the downfalls is that I haven't really studied English history specifically or the Tudors period in a very looong time, that's why I decided to get the other two as well.
Reply 29
Oh my gosh, no worries at all!! I have some of the same fear myself, so it's nice to say hi to some (I assume) like-minded people! Thank you, and same to you of course!

Warwick was my first choice! I came for the interview, not really feeling it all that much (Nottingham at the time was my absolute fav) but I had such a good time, they completely convinced me that Warwick was the place! :h:

I'm staying in halls, yes -- obviously don't know which yet, but...
And yourself?

Unless I completely failed my reading comprehension, you're a novelist/fiction writer? I am myself, or as much as I can allow myself to say that :colondollar: Definitely not a poet however much I try haha, though I'd love to try out some script writing for theatre/screen/etc even if I don't really know the slightest of how to go about it!

(And I realise I am using too many exclamation points than I would otherwise -- I will say now that I am actually, usually, a rather calm person lol)

That's interesting Nottingham was your favourite - I loved it too and put it down as my insurance in the end :smile: I thought the campus was beautiful and the academic staff in the English department were incredibly friendly and approachable :biggrin:

I've put Jack Martin down as my first choice, and Sherbourne second - I really hope I can get an ensuite bathroom. I'm quite lucky - as a Welsh student with a really low family income I'll be getting a lot of help from the Welsh government so I was really pleased I could afford Jack Martin :smile: The kitchens especially look very modern :smile:
Reply 30
As for reading lists, I didn't really know we had one, either! I did look on the English department's website but there seemed to be so many 'interesting/recommended' books, films and documentaries I wondered if there was a point trying to get through them all, in case they weren't as useful as, say, the books we might be recommended to read by the lecturers during term. What is the Magic Teashop about? I actually have a collection of Hanif Kureishi short stories (it's a HUUUUUUGE book XD) which I've been wanting to read for a while. If you read him before me, Laurelia, let me know if he's any good :wink:

Right now I'm trying to speed-read Angels and Demons, even though a friend of mine in Oxford hates Dan Brown with a ferocious passion and tried to ply the Robert Langdon series from my hands XD So far, though, I'm enjoying just having something easy-going to read :smile:

I know this hasn't come up, yet, but in case next year we have Chaucer (and I'm sure we will at some point) I have an Oxford Guide to Chaucer, a big thick book which covers medieval history in the context of Chaucer's works. It really helped me through my last exam and the writers in it don't have the tendency to drone on and on for three pages, trying to put across one point, like some I've come across! I'll definitely bring it with me to Warwick, so in case any of you were a bit ropey on Chaucer (as I was when I started studying him) this book is quite a good introduction :smile:
Reply 31
(I would quote you, Angel Crow, but it won't let me?! - Ah well)

I know, it got changed quite a bit -- I was so stubborn on Nottingham, though actually...UEA ended up my insurance! So the poor favourite didn't end up being so...favoured :P

I think of all of them they'd like us to have a go at the Iliad before we arrive, but otherwise there don't seem to be many others "strongly recommended" as they put it. The rest seem to be those we need to purchase, and the uni bookstore will have them all in stock so I doubt there's much immediacy, no.

I know Dan Brown get lambasted, but provided you go in knowing you're not reading high-brow literature worthy of the great classics (and perhaps not so historically accurate...haha), I actually don't get the fuss about them being terrible. I think they're quite a nice read!

Oooh that sounds so good! Yup, we're doing Chaucer...I think actually in the second term maybe of first year? I feel like I've seen his name come up before, but perhaps not the Canterbury Tales -- something else, IIRC.
Reply 32
(I would quote you, Angel Crow, but it won't let me?! - Ah well)

I know, it got changed quite a bit -- I was so stubborn on Nottingham, though actually...UEA ended up my insurance! So the poor favourite didn't end up being so...favoured :P

I think of all of them they'd like us to have a go at the Iliad before we arrive, but otherwise there don't seem to be many others "strongly recommended" as they put it. The rest seem to be those we need to purchase, and the uni bookstore will have them all in stock so I doubt there's much immediacy, no.

I know Dan Brown get lambasted, but provided you go in knowing you're not reading high-brow literature worthy of the great classics (and perhaps not so historically accurate...haha), I actually don't get the fuss about them being terrible. I think they're quite a nice read!

Oooh that sounds so good! Yup, we're doing Chaucer...I think actually in the second term maybe of first year? I feel like I've seen his name come up before, but perhaps not the Canterbury Tales -- something else, IIRC.

Hmm, not sure why it won't let you reply - maybe TSR doesn't like Dan Brown, either :wink:

I actually went to visit UEA, too (and I was talking to Ave Maria about this earlier on in the thread), and I really thought I would have that as my insurance, but actually, it wasn't for me :frown: Unfortunately, though, the day I went it was pouring down with rain and there had been problems on campus so all the staff and student volunteers were running around like headless chickens, so, actually, I'm pretty sure I just turned up at a bad time!

If everyone's set on reading the Iliad, I should too - I'll have time :smile: Should be a very interesting read :biggrin: And I agree about Dan Brown's books! I mean, I believe there's a time for reading high-brow, complex classics and a time for reading something more... simple and relaxing. As much as I love the classics, the way I usually read is by alternating complex easy. I find this usually allows me to appreciate different styles better as I get to read the books I want, and books I have been recommended to read! :biggrin: So Dan Brown could be called, perhaps... a guilty pleasure? XD I certainly have a growing list of 'chocolate novels' - my yummy munchies in between main meals of classics, haha! XD

I THOUGHT I had seen Chaucer on the reading list, but I wasn't absolutely sure - it's been quite a while since I checked the term syllabus :smile: Right now I'm knee-deep in sorting out my lovely finances :L And hoping I can afford all that freshers has to offer :wink: Are you three planning on being actively involved in freshers? I know drinking isn't everyone's cup of tea, (it's DEFINITELY not my boyfriend's :L) and I'm not a huge drinker, but I like parties and pubs nonetheless, providing I'm in good company ^.^
Reply 33
Original post by AngelCrow
Right now I'm knee-deep in sorting out my lovely finances :L And hoping I can afford all that freshers has to offer :wink: Are you three planning on being actively involved in freshers? I know drinking isn't everyone's cup of tea, (it's DEFINITELY not my boyfriend's :L) and I'm not a huge drinker, but I like parties and pubs nonetheless, providing I'm in good company ^.^
I'm definitely planning on being involved in freshers :smile: I don't think I'll go to every event but I'm really looking forward to the paint party and the major welcoming events at the SU like the Club MTV Welcome party and the final Freshers party of course.
Reply 34
Same, I can't wait for the paint party! :smile: have you decided whether or not to go for a student passport yet, Ave Maria? I'm not sure whether to go for it, myself, but I also don't want to miss out on some good events if they're immediately sold out after tickets go on sale :/ from what I understand, I think the passport gets you into any party without fail before eleven o'clock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I am not much of a drinker either but I'll be going to some of the events I hope, if I can get tickets! :biggrin: I was thinking the paint party too (I think most do unfortunately!)

I don't know if I'll use the student passport to its full worth, though you're right about events selling out... :s-smilie:
Reply 36
I'm not sure about the passport either. I don't want to miss out on any of the events though, I just think the passport seems pretty expensive for the two weeks. I guess it really depends on how much the individual tickets cost and I don't think we'll find that out until September 11th when they go on sale
Reply 37
Original post by AngelCrow
As for reading lists, I didn't really know we had one, either! I did look on the English department's website but there seemed to be so many 'interesting/recommended' books, films and documentaries I wondered if there was a point trying to get through them all, in case they weren't as useful as, say, the books we might be recommended to read by the lecturers during term. What is the Magic Teashop about? I actually have a collection of Hanif Kureishi short stories (it's a HUUUUUUGE book XD) which I've been wanting to read for a while. If you read him before me, Laurelia, let me know if he's any good :wink:

Right now I'm trying to speed-read Angels and Demons, even though a friend of mine in Oxford hates Dan Brown with a ferocious passion and tried to ply the Robert Langdon series from my hands XD So far, though, I'm enjoying just having something easy-going to read :smile:

I know this hasn't come up, yet, but in case next year we have Chaucer (and I'm sure we will at some point) I have an Oxford Guide to Chaucer, a big thick book which covers medieval history in the context of Chaucer's works. It really helped me through my last exam and the writers in it don't have the tendency to drone on and on for three pages, trying to put across one point, like some I've come across! I'll definitely bring it with me to Warwick, so in case any of you were a bit ropey on Chaucer (as I was when I started studying him) this book is quite a good introduction :smile:

chaucer should be the first term I think? and it's the riverside chaucer we are studying.:smile:

I studied Hanif Kureshi at college so was already aware of him, really enjoyed the buddha of surburbia but it was a bit weird at times! quite sexual in places. LOVED the magic teashop, oh angela carter's writing is amazing. You know sometimes the words an author uses just grips you? she did me.

I'm pretty sure the only 'suggested summer reading' was the medieval stuff just so we kinda understand the time period, the magic toyshop and hanif kureshi will be required texts, but not necessary to have read beforehand.

I don't know about anyone else but I feel SO out of my depth when I see what we are going to be studying :colondollar: I've never done anything on tudors, or latin, or, well, any of it! I'm going to be the oldest person in class and feel like a dunce :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 38
WRT freshers week, am really not sure how much I'll be going to. Since I am not living on campus the travelling seems quite a lot to go partying. :s-smilie: I'll def come to the party thingy we apparently have as a class as I want to get to know my fellow classmates, but not sure about everything else. :smile:
Reply 39
Laurelia:

I can assure you; my age will have nothing to do with it, but I'll still feel like a dunce! :redface: I always feel like I've barely read anything, like ever, though that's blatantly not true!

Aah, you make me even more keen to start Carter! I have been hunting and hunting for a copy, even on the internet for a while it just disappeared -- I saw it once in a bookstore, didn't buy it, could not find it anywhere even on amazon until about a week ago, and I bought it immediately! I have been wanting to read it since it came up in a past paper -- not exactly my thing, but I was hoping it had that creeptacular thing that I seem to look for in lit (note: not horror, never horror, I'm too chicken!) a la We Need to Talk about Kevin or The Collector. I'm glad to hear you loved it :biggrin:

AveMaria -- yeah I seriously am continuing my doubts about the passport...provided they don't give you some sort of crazy discount collectively, I think I'll stick for single events.

Quick Reply

Latest