The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

3 A*s in IGCSE maths, physics and biology :smile: And somehow I managed to get 100% in three of the exams!!
Hopefully I can do as well next year with my other gcses!
2 UMS off A* for astronomy, I know it isn't the end of the world but I'm feeling a tad pissed off
Original post by sweet_gyal97
ohh i did OCR....
u know my friend she got an A in her business CA but the teacher put it down to a C so that it could get moderated up but it didnt...its really horrible...

im hoping cos it happened to all of us that my school gets them all remarked.
Reply 7303
A*s in Maths, English Literature, French, Core Science, Additional Science, and Higher Project, and I'm only in year 10. So happy :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elles1604
Can anyone help? I got my results today and I'm pretty pleased with them, only thing is I needed to get a B overall in maths to take it and I didn't and have no idea what else to take! Can anyone recommend another subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Resit some maths modules?
Reply 7305
I just found out mine, I got 2A*s, 7A's and 2B's :biggrin: I'm SO happy!!! The B's were in Art and history which aren't relevant to my alevel options... :smile:

Can anyone tell me if these are good to study medicine?? I know it's mainly about alevels but still. And I don't plan on going to a top medical school just want to be a doctor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BenAssirati
In AQA English Literature, am I the only one who is confused as to why so few people got A*s this year? In my school, only 2 people got A* this year, but last year 51 did?

I got A* in literature the hard way. Flopped controlled assessment and got a B.
In literature unit 1 exam got 68/68 full ums marks
Unit 2 66 ums
Don't ask me how I got full marks but I somehow fluked it? If you read the notes on the literature thread like 1 day before the exam you probably would have gotten the same.
Original post by rosegarden
12 A*s and 1 A :biggrin: :biggrin:

How about you? x

Oh my gosh! Wow! Congratulations :smile:x

i only managed 8 a*s and 3 as but I'm getting 2 remarks because I'm 1 ums off an A*
Original post by JennaK
Ah, wow, seriously? So many teachers have said I have to do it if I want to get into Medicine. I'm not really keen on Cambridge anyway so I'm not fussed about that.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion for me though! :biggrin:

It is without a doubt the most common myth we hear on TSR about A levels for medicine. Every med student on this forum hates teachers for perpetuating it, because it's wildly wrong!
Power on with applying, Jenna. I hope to see you in a few years! :biggrin:

Original post by mellyy
I just found out mine, I got 2A*s, 7A's and 2B's :biggrin: I'm SO happy!!! The B's were in Art and history which aren't relevant to my alevel options... :smile:

Can anyone tell me if these are good to study medicine?? I know it's mainly about alevels but still. And I don't plan on going to a top medical school just want to be a doctor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! I just wanted to be the first to come in and say that there is no best medical school. The league table rankings are all pretty meaningless, and it really doesn't matter what medical school you go to!

Anyway, yeah! Those GCSEs are definitely good enough for medicine! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mellyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're fine - have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Well done :smile:
Original post by Krollo
A*s in Maths, English Literature, French, Core Science, Additional Science, and Higher Project, and I'm only in year 10. So happy :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, you've done loads! I've only finished stats and i'm finishing maths in november. Well done :biggrin: What's the Higher Project?
Original post by mellyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need about 6 A*s+ sorry.

Spoiler

what does 100 ums mean? our school never explained all this ums stuff! very happy with my results though:biggrin: hope you have all done well!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BC95
awesome, well done :smile:

Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by qr95
MashAllah

You can't assume he's a muz just because she did a gcse in Arabic lol
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Resit some maths modules?

Is it hard to re-sit while doing a as level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Heeellpp!!!!
****** does the marks srrm rigjt with the grade i.e. Maths 176/200 =d????***
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BC95
regardless you got an A*, well done :smile:

Thank-you! Really pleased!
Original post by Elles1604
Is it hard to re-sit while doing a as level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Loads of people manage to do it every year - there's no reason that you can't, too, if you put the work in! If you want to be an nICU nurse, then don't give up on that so easily! :smile:
Original post by Bethany96
what does 100 ums mean? our school never explained all this ums stuff! very happy with my results though:biggrin: hope you have all done well!

If it was in the Sciences for are example, which are out of 100 ums, you would have achieved the most 'points' possible, but not necessarily full marks, as the boundaries fluctuate heavily. All the module scores are then added up to formulate your mark out of 400, 360 being the A* boundary, 320 the A and so on.

Hope that helps.

Latest