The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toomanyquestions
Congratulations on your amazing results!! Ofsted shmofsted, their judgements of a school are often so disproportionate to how happy the students are as well :/ Grrr... My school (state comp) has been declared satisfactory the last two visits but we had brilliant results and it's such a lovely atmosphere too. I think 'measuring' schools in the way that they do is wrong and definitely not constructive. I heard that an alternative school assessment group made up of head teachers trying to HELP others schools not destroy them are emerging and they've called themselves 'Insted'. Genius!

My school is "Outstanding". :lol: it's not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shibucool
What did everyone get for AQA GCSE French?

I got a B which is great seeming though my school said i was predicted a C :smile: what did you get ?
Well done for your results everyone :smile: I was wondering if any of you could explain this to me please? I took triple science (OCR gateway science B) in my GCSEs, and today I achieved an A* in all three. The biology and chemistry grades were expected to be A*s, but the physics was a major shock - mainly because the most recent exam went so badly. I thought it was terrible and found it so difficult, half of the paper was panicking and guess work. However, on my results sheet I got not only an A*, but full marks (160 UMS). The same goes for biology and chemistry: 160 UMS. I know this can't be possible and now I'm worrying about what my real grades actually are. Would someone be able to shed some light on this for me please? Thanks
I need B for maths and wasn't hopeful after the exam but I got it and was only 16 maths off the A! I'm really pleased as I worked so hard and maths is not my strong point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aasvogel
1 UMS mark over the A* boundary for English Language - relief isn't the word!

I got 1 UMS mark over the boundary in French and 0 UMS over the boundary in English Language.
Reply 7465
Bit disappointed with my self, even though my family are all saying I did well...I got:

Mathematics: A*
Biology: A*
Chemistry:A*
Physics:A* (total surprise)
ICT:A*

History: A
Statistics: A
Spanish:A
English Literature: A
English Language:A

I know these are good results, but I really was hoping for atleast 2 more A*s, the two english results were upsetting since I had really tried hard.

Main thing is (as cliche as this sounds) I aim to do medicine but I've been told I'd need atleast 8A*s or so.

Can someone advice me? Do I still stand a chance? I mean I know that I still have A levels and everything else left to do but medicine is so competitive...

I'd really appreciate if someone could help me out!
Well done everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7467

A*, 300/300! So happy :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7468
Original post by itsn0b0dy
You can't assume he's a muz just because she did a gcse in Arabic lol

I didn't, however you assumed I did
Got great results
A* Physics, 4 A's 6 B's and an C in re short course :biggrin:
Well done everyone, these results look awesome! :biggrin:

We survived GCSEs!!!! :grouphugs:
Well it has been a struggle these last 5 years getting my son through the door at school every day, let alone getting him to want to put in any effort.! A couple of times we even had the Education Welfare Officer come to the house to talk to him [and me]. He got his GCSE results today; 6 Grade C`s and 1 Grade D. I`m delighted, as a few years ago, it was looking doubtful he would leave school with any qualifications at all.

The Results for GCSE French were very strange I got an A* though and got 100% in both Listening and Reading but only just got an A*(271/300).Its odd because the coursework normally brings the grades up and my French teacher said that the coursework would bring our grades up but it brought my grade down with an average of just 83.9% in the coursework.I scored better in my French exams than my Maths exam.
Reply 7473
I got an A* in Maths. So happy with myself.
Original post by markova21
Well it has been a struggle these last 5 years getting my son through the door at school every day, let alone getting him to want to put in any effort.! A couple of times we even had the Education Welfare Officer come to the house to talk to him [and me]. He got his GCSE results today; 6 Grade C`s and 1 Grade D. I`m delighted, as a few years ago, it was looking doubtful he would leave school with any qualifications at all.

Well done to you and to him :h:

Original post by skizzle
Bit disappointed with my self, even though my family are all saying I did well...I got:

I know these are good results, but I really was hoping for atleast 2 more A*s, the two english results were upsetting since I had really tried hard.

Main thing is (as cliche as this sounds) I aim to do medicine but I've been told I'd need atleast 8A*s or so.

Can someone advice me? Do I still stand a chance? I mean I know that I still have A levels and everything else left to do but medicine is so competitive...

No you don't only for like Birmingham, imperial and Oxbridge :h: honestly A levels will decide your fate more than GCSE's and a high UKCAT score in some places will guarantee you an interview, so there is still a lot of hope yet :h:
Original post by skizzle

You certainly don't need 8 A*s to get into medicine. You have fantastic results and you've got a great foundation there for applying to study medicine. Well done! :biggrin:
Original post by Invest

You should be :yep: maths, English and sciences were marked very harshly this year :yep:
Original post by Invest

Pika pika :biggrin:

(well done! :cool:)
Original post by AlanAlty
At my college anyway, you couldn't take anything (like science and maths, obviously things such as geography, you didn't even need the GCSE) unless you got a B. Especially with Chemistry, I know people that have gone from an A at GCSE to a C/D/E. Unless you need it, I would suggest trying something else, it's very hard. Or you could retake it whilst doing the AS, which basically means you're definitely going to at least get an A.

I really like Chemistry though, and I scored A/B in all exams, my coursework brought me down a lot and I have no idea what happened to it. The whole class got really bad, it's annoying.
Original post by techno836
You should be :yep: maths, English and sciences were marked very harshly this year :yep:

I've been hearing that on the news lately.. I still managed to get 98/100 ums in chem and 100/100 in physics :awesome:

Latest