The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7520
i got a B in core science and an A in additional science.

Thats all my results :/
Actually, I feel a bit better now. I think that I was more worried for the individual grades (got 4 Cs in the exams), and also the fact that the school publish the results online for the whole world to see. Moreover, I felt that I let my teachers down as they all believed I would get all A*s when in fact I got 1.5. Well, here are my grades:

R.S. - A* (Short course)
Photography - A*
History - A
Spanish - A
Chemistry - A (even though I got like a C in the exam)
Physics - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B (year 10 - I might retake an exam I got a C on)
Biology - B (I might retake that as in one module I was due a free retake, and am still entitled to it, so I might do it and get an A*, so I can at least get an A and improve my grades)
Maths - B

I don't know whether it is Medicine standard or not though. I do feel a bit bad (mainly because of my parents - Asian of course). Do you guy think that these results are alright? And do you think I should retake some of them?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mellyy
I just found out mine, I got 2A*s, 7A's and 2B's :biggrin: I'm SO happy!!! The B's were in Art and history which aren't relevant to my alevel options... :smile:

Can anyone tell me if these are good to study medicine?? I know it's mainly about alevels but still. And I don't plan on going to a top medical school just want to be a doctor :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congratulations! Those are exactly the same grades I got for my GCSEs. You have a good chance of getting into Medicine with those grades, but I'd say that your AS/A Levels are far more important - just concentrate on getting the best grades possible for your A Levels. Also, get a lot of relevant work experience, and you should do fine. Hope this helps. :smile:
Hey everyone I got 7 A*/A grades today for my GCSEs (including English and Science) along with 2 Bs (one being Maths) and a C. Would this be good enough for me to apply to dentistry?
Original post by joe1545
You obviously dont do chemistry then, or not past AS anyway, A2 chemistry is based heavily on maths introducing logarithms, which last time i checked isnt on the gcse syllabus.
Also chemistry students need to be familiar with interpreting data and the numbers given as it rarely is just regurgitating an equation you learn in class.

lolok, kid. I've never done chemistry, whatever you say.

Fortunately, there's a logarithm button on your calculator to press. There's no need to rearrange logarithmic expressions in any complex fashion outside of your algebraic rules of subtraction and addition, but even if you are going to "move the log to the other side", it's as simple as raising the function as an exponent of 10. Nothing complex to get your head around and certainly not something you need an A-level in maths to learn to do.

Thousands of students take A2 chemistry every year without maths and have no problem - we see it lots in this forum because of the amount of medicine applicants we have who hate maths.

Original post by theJdog
Actually, I feel a bit better now. I think that I was more worried for the individual grades (got 4 Cs in the exams), and also the fact that the school publish the results online for the whole world to see. Moreover, I felt that I let my teachers down as they all believed I would get all A*s when in fact I got 1.5. Well, here are my grades:

R.S. - A* (Short course)
Photography - A*
History - A
Spanish - A
Chemistry - A (even though I got like a C in the exam)
Physics - A
English Literature - A
English Language - B (year 10 - I might retake an exam I got a C on)
Biology - B (I might retake that as in one module I was due a free retake, and am still entitled to it, so I might do it and get an A*, so I can at least get an A and improve my grades)
Maths - B

I don't know whether it is Medicine standard or not though. I do feel a bit bad (mainly because of my parents - Asian of course). Do you guy think that these results are alright? And do you think I should retake some of them?

Hey! You can certainly apply to medicine with those GCSEs, the only caveat would be that you avoid GCSE heavy universities like Oxford, Birmingham and Edinburgh. :smile:

Your AS levels are much more important to your application, focus on rocking those!
(edited 10 years ago)
i hope everyone is happy with their results. i've got one question, if you don't mind answering
"why doesn't my maths result show the marks?, (i did edexcel maths)"
So I got 6 A*s and 6 As (and a U in additional maths, but we don't talk about that!!) I am so happy!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys! I got eight A*s : Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, English Language, History, Geography and French. And two As : English Literature and Religious Studies. I'm so relieved and grateful!
Original post by JustaDreamer
Hey guys! I got eight A*s : Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Physics, English Language, History, Geography and French. And two As : English Literature and Religious Studies. I'm so relieved and grateful!

Well done :h: and you should be :biggrin:
Original post by tess_rach
So I got 6 A*s and 6 As (and a U in additional maths, but we don't talk about that!!) I am so happy!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

well done and yes shh let's not talk about that :biggrin:
Original post by Master722
i hope everyone is happy with their results. i've got one question, if you don't mind answering
"why doesn't my maths result show the marks?, (i did edexcel maths)"

only your teachers can get that on results plus :h:
Hey guys, my double science result showed up with a **, I've been told it means A*A* but i'm not sure, a bit nervous about it and was wondering if anyone knew :s-smilie:
Got my GCSE Results today so happy -
4 A*s - English Language (AQA), German, Spanish and Geography (AQA) (full UMS in both German and Spanish S&L on edexcel)
6 As - English Literature, Methods in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and RE (all AQA)
1 B - Applications in Maths (AQA)

Really ecstatic, just wondering...i got 172 UMS in English Lit and it's 180 for an A*, would you recommend i get it re-marked or not worth it??

REALLY HAPPY!! ;DD WELL DONE TO EVERYONE ELSE!!
hey guys,
I know your confusion right now after getting average GSCE's, thats why I but my head down for A-Levels and got A*AAA. I guarantee I can get you the same results if you need tuition.
I can also tutor and come to your house

PM me for my number and I can give you golden advice and help you study for A-Levels and tell you what to concentrate on i.e. what to learn and very wise and useful advice for geography, bio, chem and physics for A-Level

Once in a lifetime chance if you need help and care about going.

The jump to A-level is huge so please pm me.
Original post by techno836

only your teachers can get that on results plus :h:

ok thank you for answering, it seems odd to me though that i can't see my own results. i logged onto results plus and i can see my ums overall, but not seperately.
Original post by techno836
It's rather weird as 98 means you were only 3 marks of an A because the unit 3's were so tight between A and A*

I only did double science :no:
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/q61js6p17rgqa7f/PJLo5dTIp8 could anyone possibly tell me how far off an A* i was please???
Hey everyone I got 7 A*/A grades today for my GCSEs (including English and Science) along with 2 Bs (one being Maths) and a C. Would this be good enough for me to apply to dentistry?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
lolok, kid. I've never done chemistry, whatever you say.

Fortunately, there's a logarithm button on your calculator to press. There's no need to rearrange logarithmic expressions in any complex fashion outside of your algebraic rules of subtraction and addition, but even if you are going to "move the log to the other side", it's as simple as raising the function as an exponent of 10. Nothing complex to get your head around and certainly not something you need an A-level in maths to learn to do.

Thousands of students take A2 chemistry every year without maths and have no problem - we see it lots in this forum because of the amount of medicine applicants we have who hate maths.

Hey! You can certainly apply to medicine with those GCSEs, the only caveat would be that you avoid GCSE heavy universities like Oxford, Birmingham and Edinburgh. :smile:

Your AS levels are much more important to your application, focus on rocking those!

What about UCL? And thanks :smile: What did you get? And do you think these results are alright? I tried so hard, maybe I should have tried harder. :frown: It's my mum's birthday and she's going to be gutted :frown:
Reply 7537
Mathematics: A*
English Language: A
Core Science: C
Additional Science: A
IT: A
Media Studies A*
Graphic Products: A
Art: A
Core PE: C

2A*, 5A, 2C.

Good enough?
Original post by HennersPD
Got my GCSE Results today so happy -
4 A*s - English Language (AQA), German, Spanish and Geography (AQA) (full UMS in both German and Spanish S&L on edexcel)
6 As - English Literature, Methods in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and RE (all AQA)
1 B - Applications in Maths (AQA)

Really ecstatic, just wondering...i got 172 UMS in English Lit and it's 180 for an A*, would you recommend i get it re-marked or not worth it??

REALLY HAPPY!! ;DD WELL DONE TO EVERYONE ELSE!!

Certainly go for the remark in english lit! - I got 64/68 which is full 80/80 ums! Didn't even revise till 1 day before the exam so I have no idea what so ever where that came from. Guess I had a decent examiner or just fluked. Non the less 8 ums is like 5 marks? If you get a good examiner you never know.
Original post by cleveradam
Certainly go for the remark in english lit! - I got 64/68 which is full 80/80 ums! Didn't even revise till 1 day before the exam so I have no idea what so ever where that came from. Guess I had a decent examiner or just fluked. Non the less 8 ums is like 5 marks? If you get a good examiner you never know.

So would you recommend i definitely get a remark?? :biggrin: what were your results? :smile:

Latest