The Student Room Group

GCSE PE 14 May 2013

Guys what do you think of this exam overall? and what did you put for the question about mothers with young children?

PS The board is EDEXCEL and I got 39/40 in practical and 20/20 in AoP. How much do you reckon is good enough for an A*?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Marwan Qasem
Guys what do you think of this exam overall? and what did you put for the question about mothers with young children?

PS The board is EDEXCEL and I got 39/40 in practical and 20/20 in AoP. How much do you reckon is good enough for an A*?

I thought the exam went pretty well, I got the same as you in practical. Was that the one where they the old guys help out at the club?
Reply 2
Original post by Student_Football
I thought the exam went pretty well, I got the same as you in practical. Was that the one where they the old guys help out at the club?

That's good what sports did you pick?
can't really remember :P Was one of the long answer questions on badminton and a 400m runner?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Am I the only person to think that some of the questions were too vague, for example 'explain what is meant by exercise?'
Reply 4
Original post by Nathan36
Am I the only person to think that some of the questions were too vague, for example 'explain what is meant by exercise?'

There's actually a complete definition of that they wanted you to recite I think. That exam was bs in my opinion it was majority short course content however, I did like the 6 markers they gave there was quite a lot to write about.
Reply 5
Original post by sneakbo2
There's actually a complete definition of that they wanted you to recite I think. That exam was bs in my opinion it was majority short course content however, I did like the 6 markers they gave there was quite a lot to write about.

I think that this was a good question. They always throw in a definitions questions.
Reply 6

The 6 markers were good especially the first one. However, some questions were stupid like the one which asked us to give 2 reasons why the athlete breathes faster and deeper. I put to deliver oxygen to muscles and take away CO2 from the blood (In both i spoke about diffusion in the alveoli) Those were the only reasons I thought of! DO you think that they're right? It's going to be an epic fail if I don't get an A* :mad:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
The 6 markers were good especially the first one. However, some questions were stupid like the one which asked us to give 2 reasons why the athlete breathes faster and deeper. I put to deliver oxygen to muscles and take away CO2 from the blood (In both i spoke about diffusion in the alveoli) Those were the only reasons I thought of! DO you think that they're right? It's going to be an epic fail if I don't get an A* :mad:

Hmm I also put breakdown of lactic acid as well
Reply 8
Hmm I also put breakdown of lactic acid as well

I think that's wrong because it says they start to breathe deeper and faster at the beginning of exercise NOT after exercise. Lactic acid is broken down after exercise is finished! Sorry about spoiling it for you :/
Reply 9
It all depends on the grade boundaries... I sprained my ankle the day before moderation so I went from a 10 (in rounders) to an 8.

I took the exam last year (IN YEAR 10) and got a B (62 UMS) which I wish I had retaken... but if the grade boundaries are low enough I could still get an A*, so it all depends on the grade boundaries considering the exam is only worth 40% of the final grade.
Reply 10
I think that's wrong because it says they start to breathe deeper and faster at the beginning of exercise NOT after exercise. Lactic acid is broken down after exercise is finished! Sorry about spoiling it for you :/

Lol whatever only 1 mark, i might not even lose one I put one reason as more supply of oxygen and the second one as more c02 removed I just threw the lactic acid in there cause you can't lose marks
Reply 11
Original post by lildchic
It all depends on the grade boundaries... I sprained my ankle the day before moderation so I went from a 10 (in rounders) to an 8.

I took the exam last year (IN YEAR 10) and got a B (62 UMS) which I wish I had retaken... but if the grade boundaries are low enough I could still get an A*, so it all depends on the grade boundaries considering the exam is only worth 40% of the final grade.

It must feel really bad to sprain your ankle one day before moderation! I actually sprained it 4 days before moderation while playing basketball, I used RICE, NSAIDs and massage to improve it before moderation day, it was perfect on the day. My sports were athletics, basketball, fitness (cooper's run) and rock climbing got 10s in all except for basketball!

Even though it's only 40% of the final grade i still think that you need to get 72 UMS for A* which is hard!
Reply 12
Lol whatever only 1 mark, i might not even lose one I put one reason as more supply of oxygen and the second one as more c02 removed I just threw the lactic acid in there cause you can't lose marks

Looking at mark schemes there are specific words/phrases which when you write could take marks off, but as you said it's only 1 or 2 marks :P
Reply 13
It must feel really bad to sprain your ankle one day before moderation! I actually sprained it 4 days before moderation while playing basketball, I used RICE, NSAIDs and massage to improve it before moderation day, it was perfect on the day. My sports were athletics, basketball, fitness (cooper's run) and rock climbing got 10s in all except for basketball!

Even though it's only 40% of the final grade i still think that you need to get 72 UMS for A* which is hard!

yeah it was horrible but what can I do...

but i think im on an A because I got 10's in swimming and fitness and a 9 in athletics and full marks in the PEP and AoP so I think I'll come out with an A... All depending on the grade boundaries...
I got a C in this exam so came out with an A overall! Can't believe it, I'm going to get it remarked even though I thought the paper was quite hard anyway..
Reply 15
Original post by sunshinebeem
I got a C in this exam so came out with an A overall! Can't believe it, I'm going to get it remarked even though I thought the paper was quite hard anyway..

Thats good i got 49/50 for practical and 120/120 UMS. As for the theory i got 59/80 and 61/80 UMS. giving 181/200, which is an A*, but if i had lost one more mark i would have got an A :P
does anyone know where I can find this paper and mark scheme, please send some links

many thanks
Reply 17
Hi there,
Can anyone send any links to the Edexcel PE June 2013 paper (long course) and mark scheme please.
Many thanks
help me I need the mark scheme please!!!
Reply 19
What were the 6 mark questions? And can you remember anything that came up in the exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending