On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton Freshers 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by Where'sPerry?
I've been offered a place at Liberty Point but nothing has changed on the accommodation portal, is this normal? I haven't accepted it yet because I only just checked my email and found it, and I'm too tired to sort everything out tonight. :redface:

I don't know if it's normal, but I have the same thing...and I've accepted :confused:...
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by Lesath
I don't know if it's normal, but I have the same thing...and I've accepted :confused:...

Okay, good to know :smile:
Okay, good to know :smile:

Yeah the exact same thing happened to me too!
I called up soton and asked about it and they said that because I applied for en suite for all my options, they offered me liberty living because there were no places left with en suite

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eviflora123
I called up soton and asked about it and they said that because I applied for en suite for all my options, they offered me liberty living because there were no places left with en suite

It's good that they try to give us the type of room we want. I only applied for en suite too :redface:
Reply 624

It's good that they try to give us the type of room we want. I only applied for en suite too :redface:

Ah well that's really not good for me, I only applied for en suite and I still haven't heard a thing :unimpressed:
Original post by AshleyP95
Ah well that's really not good for me, I only applied for en suite and I still haven't heard a thing :unimpressed:

That sucks. Maybe they will twin you in an en suite?
Reply 626
I've also been put into Liberty Point but I am slightly apprehensive as I've seem many reviews calling it a bad area. It's also a couple of miles away from uni, making it about a 45 minute walk (I don't like to rely on buses as more often than not, they don't arrive on time). I also made the stupid mistake of applying for accommodation as a mature undergraduate rather than just new undergraduate >.< Managed to get it changed but I can't help but feel it contributed to getting me placed there. Oh and that fact that it was my insurance choice. Regarding transfers, do many en suite places at halls open up?

dont lose hope! soton was my insurance so if it wasyour firm your probz more likely to get what you wanted im sure they must give some preference to people that placed them 1st!
i think people will find good and bad in what ever they get, as long as you applied before the deadline you're guarenteed to get something so try not to stress!
some of the first people to get accom were getting twinned rooms, so just because you havent heard yet doesnt mean that they leave the worst rooms till last at all !
good luck:tongue:

im actually really happy with the look of it! even though its abit further away from the uni it has alot of great things about it! especially the en suites :colondollar:

but its really close to the town and nice shopping/ restraunt places which is great for me as a londoner il feel abit more at home :tongue:
Original post by wmxc
I've also been put into Liberty Point but I am slightly apprehensive as I've seem many reviews calling it a bad area. It's also a couple of miles away from uni, making it about a 45 minute walk (I don't like to rely on buses as more often than not, they don't arrive on time). I also made the stupid mistake of applying for accommodation as a mature undergraduate rather than just new undergraduate >.< Managed to get it changed but I can't help but feel it contributed to getting me placed there. Oh and that fact that it was my insurance choice. Regarding transfers, do many en suite places at halls open up?

i dont know what your personal preferences are, but im at liberty living too and i really dont think its a bad option.
it looks like a really comfortable place to live compared to some of the dingy rooms i saw going round some of the halls
and en suite!
some people who firmed soton are getting offers of twinned rooms etc which for me would be much worse than just being abit further from the uni !!
like ive said in other comments, i think with all the halls comes good and bad! :o:p
I got put in South Hill Halls, which I guess is alright cos I have an en suite, but when I saw the rooms, they don't look hat great.
Original post by Amber_Hazel
I got put in South Hill Halls, which I guess is alright cos I have an en suite, but when I saw the rooms, they don't look hat great.

Are you kidding me? South Hill has floor-length windows and is probably one of the *only* ensuites which are square instead of rectangular. Having it at the top of the hill on Glen Eyre Road is a major plus also :redface:

I was in South Hill, and I think it's really nice!

Did you actually visit South Hill when you were down here?
Original post by coolster1
Are you kidding me? South Hill has floor-length windows and is probably one of the *only* ensuites which are square instead of rectangular. Having it at the top of the hill on Glen Eyre Road is a major plus also :redface:

I was in South Hill, and I think it's really nice!

Did you actually visit South Hill when you were down here?

I live in London, so I went just for a day with my mum and saw one of the rooms. I haven't really seen much else to compare it to, but I just thought that the rooms didn't look great with the carpeted wall and weird colour scheme, but the ensuite was bigger than I expected.
Reply 633
That sucks. Maybe they will twin you in an en suite?

dont lose hope! soton was my insurance so if it wasyour firm your probz more likely to get what you wanted im sure they must give some preference to people that placed them 1st!
i think people will find good and bad in what ever they get, as long as you applied before the deadline you're guarenteed to get something so try not to stress!
some of the first people to get accom were getting twinned rooms, so just because you havent heard yet doesnt mean that they leave the worst rooms till last at all !
good luck:tongue:

Yeah Southampton was my firm choice so hopefully I'll still get a decent room. I think I'd rather have a shared toilet and shower than a twinned en suite. I applied about 4 months ago when I first got my offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amber_Hazel
I live in London, so I went just for a day with my mum and saw one of the rooms. I haven't really seen much else to compare it to, but I just thought that the rooms didn't look great with the carpeted wall and weird colour scheme, but the ensuite was bigger than I expected.

yeah OK the decor's a bit horrible, I'll give you that.. :P

but in terms of size and fittings, it's actually one of the better ones, coz the building's relatively newer compared to say Monte 3, where the bulk of ensuites are..

Monte 4 and Chancellors Court are even newer builds, and they have better decor than South Hill, but their rooms are a lot more cramped up compared to South Hill..

Yeah Southampton was my firm choice so hopefully I'll still get a decent room. I think I'd rather have a shared toilet and shower than a twinned en suite. I applied about 4 months ago when I first got my offer.

I don't think twinned ensuites exist actually.. all twinned rooms are usually standard with shared bathrooms.. that said, twin rooms are considerably bigger than your average room, so once de-twinning happens in Nov then you might end up with a bigger room :smile:

here's hoping u get what you want!
Reply 635
Finally got an offer! I'm in an en suite in Romero Hall :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get twinned it is only temporary. So actually being twinned and keepin the twinned room means you could have a bigger room (and a spare bed for visitors/clothes etc :wink: )
Original post by wmxc

It's not that bad. There's a bus stop right outside, it's closer to city centre and The Edge (the best nightclub/bar in Soton tbh) is over the road, Jesters and The Hobbit are about a 10 min walk away (Manzils is on the way and after a night out, is the best place for food).

And the uni link buses are by far and away the best bus service I've ever used, and since you'll be coming from the city centre, the U6 buswill be basically empty as they only really get full as they stop at the bigger halls.

I doubt it tbh, most mature students end up at Monte.
Reply 638
So who is doing geology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 639
Finally got an offer! I'm in an en suite in Romero Hall :biggrin:

Same!! So glad I have somewhere to stay in Southampton now :P Kind of makes it more official! I heard fire alarms were an issue though :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending