The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Guys since i got 2 B's 5c's 1D and 1 E :frown: should i do Btec? i really don't want to but i may have to i got a B in maths and B in physics. D - Chem E- D.T. Do you guys think i should go to college for A-level which i hope or do you all think i will not cope. To be honest i think to myself that i did not put in a substantial amount of revision for my GCSE and it has given me a HUGE wake up call!!!!! so what do you all think????????????????
Reply 7601
Original post by Millerman
also, did anyone here do edexcel business??

Yeah, I did.
Original post by Robocop656
Hmm right.. got 269 UMS in AQA eng lang. I believe its 270 for an A*..worth a remark? ..also 3 raw marks is a tonne in maths but im 3 off an A* and I worked so hard and im sure I got closer to 175 than the 162 I was awarded..worth a shot in the dark at it? I want to go into medicine! Did anyone else find that Edexcel were awful markers this year? Drama was a horrid suprise for all of our year and so was stats coursework :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah. Edexcel ****ed me over with grade boundaries in French.
In Drama Unit 1: 90/90 full marks
Unit 2: 78/90 nearly an A*
Unit 3: 80 - C GRADE!

Although I wasn't going for an A* I was dissappointed to see how low I got in unit 3.
Just about stood on to the grade A despite the harsh marking of the performance.
What kind of marks did people get on unit 3 drama in ur school?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Elm Tree
My school doesn't offer triple science :s-smilie:

That's a shame double science is all the same to 6th forms and Uni's :smile:
This may seem like a crazy question but is it possible to do GCSE and A Level Chemistry at the same time? I didn't take it for GCSE but now with what I've decided I might want to do at uni (dentistry) I need it. If I take the GCSE in one year and the A Level in 2 years? Is it possible? I'll be doing the GCSE Chemistry at home (I've been homeschooled for the last 8 years). OR is it possible to just do the A Level Chemistry, do sixth forms allow that?
I could really use some advice, thanks!
am abroad so i couldn't get my results today- i put a lot of effort into it but I still think I didn't get....
Original post by carcrashh3art
This may seem like a crazy question but is it possible to do GCSE and A Level Chemistry at the same time? I didn't take it for GCSE but now with what I've decided I might want to do at uni (dentistry) I need it. If I take the GCSE in one year and the A Level in 2 years? Is it possible? I'll be doing the GCSE Chemistry at home (I've been homeschooled for the last 8 years). OR is it possible to just do the A Level Chemistry, do sixth forms allow that?
I could really use some advice, thanks!

That's something you'll need to discuss with your sixth form (or potential sixth forms) to see if they'd let you just do A Level Chem without having done GCSE.
Original post by shloke123
I got 10 A*'s and 3 A's. How good of a chance do I currently stand at doing medicine in Cambridge?

If you continue to excel like this in A levels and participate in extracurricular activities i would say a very good chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nkamy
Can I do medicine at cambridge with these grades in these subjects?

Bio A*
Chem A
Phys A
Maths A*
English lit A*
English lang A
Geography A
French A
Art A*
Religious Studies A
ICT A*
Sports BTEC Distinction*

Thanks for any advice. It would be nice to have several peoples opinions :smile:

Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Its a tough question to answer. Cambridge medics certainly have very high average GCSE rates - look at the graph here (the medicine specific one!) - average no' A* seems to be 9 or 10 and not many get offers with below 7. But the question is: to what extent is that causative?

If we now say you get 95% UMS in your AS levels, and we look backat the graph at the 5A* but over 95 UMS group... well there are only 4 people in that group and 3 get offers! The good success rate holds for those with 8 or fewer A* but 95+ UMS as well.

The key observation to make though, is that sucess falls rapidly as UMS falls - 90-95 its still reasonable but dramatically less. Less than 90, and i think its fair to say the only people that get in are those with special circumstances.

So, you can analyse that graph for yourself, but my analysis personally would be this: UMS is more important than GCSEs. Work really hard for those AS levels (as you would have had to do even with 10A*), and we'll see what happens.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by BI0
Yeah, I did.

what dyou get?
Original post by Elm Tree
My school doesn't offer triple science :s-smilie:

What did you get? I couldn't find it!
So what's everyone doing for A-levels? :smile:
Original post by benwalters1996

maths, further, history, economics...hoping to go on to do economics at uni.
Original post by nexttime
Its a tough question to answer. Cambridge medics certainly have very high average GCSE rates - look at the graph here - average no' A* seems to be 9 or 10 and not many get offers with below 7. But the question is: to what extent is that causative?

If we now say you get 95% UMS in your AS levels, and we look backat the graph at the 5A* but over 95 UMS group... well there are only 4 people in that group and 3 get offers! The good success rate holds for those with 8 or fewer A* but 95+ UMS as well.

The key observation to make though, is that sucess falls rapidly as UMS falls - 90-95 its still reasonable but dramatically less. Less than 90 with below average GCSEs, and i think its fair to say the only people that get in are those with special circumstances.

So, you can analyse that graph for yourself, but my analysis personally would be this: UMS is more important than GCSEs. Work really hard for those AS levels (as you would have had to do even with 10A*), and we'll see what happens.

If only you put the same effort into your studies and you'd be in a top decile. :wink:
Thanks for that analysis!

So to say things a bit more simply for her: yes, she's in with a chance with those GCSE grades, but the most important thing is to make sure she does get high UMS for her AS levels? :smile:
Original post by benwalters1996

Spanish, French, English Language, History, Dance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I need some help here!

I was two marks away from getting a C in edexcel GCSE drama.I was two marks away from getting a C overall (I need 180 to get a C). I got two Bs (65 marks each) for the controlled assment modules and one E (48 marks) for the peformance. I dont understsand because my teacher said I had a really good chance of getting a C and my group worked our arses off to try and get all Cs. My teacher even said we were the most hard working group in the class!
Is there ANYTHING I can do to get a C or should I accept my fate. (I also heard that you cant retake or remark drama :frown:) Btw I dont want to do Drama after GCSE.

Also I was 5 marks of an A in my EDEXCEL ICT exam to get an A and I was 3 marks off getting a B in additional applied science exam. Should I retake or remark these?

Respond... please :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ecosse_14
That's something you'll need to discuss with your sixth form (or potential sixth forms) to see if they'd let you just do A Level Chem without having done GCSE.

Okay, thanks for your reply! :smile:
What is a BTEC Certificate equivalent to at GCSE?
Reply 7618
what did you guys get in biology b7 and chemistry b7 ????
Reply 7619
i have been given a Q for some strange reason

Latest