The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xxxKINGxxx
I find the WTF really exciting, more than slams. Every match is competitive (except tipsy vs fed) and its more short and intense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tipsy won't be there this time (unless he wins the US Open!), so we could have a whole host of exciting matches this year
Original post by Krish4791
Tipsy won't be there this time (unless he wins the US Open!), so we could have a whole host of exciting matches this year

Yes although with his injury and everything Tsonga might also be absent which would be a great shame:frown:
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
Yes although with his injury and everything Tsonga might also be absent which would be a great shame:frown:

Wawrinka or gasquet seem to be next in line and both are quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7683
Maria Sugarpova withdraws from the US Open, shoulder injury. And she got rid of Connors after only one match.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7684
Guys, what time is the US Open draw and can we see it live?
Reply 7685
Original post by Roger1

I think it's 11am new York time. No idea where to watch it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7686
Original post by Roger1

I think draws are at 4.30 gmt, not sure where to watch it though
Original post by Krish4791
Oh dear, that's unlucky :redface: How often do you work on your serve normally?

I don't often practice other than matches now for some reason, perhaps that's the reason and I could do with doing some serve drills.

Original post by D-Box
Unlucky, last time I played was a few weeks ago and lost 6-4 6-3 (though fought off 7 match points). The trouble I have is getting a reliable second serve without tapping the ball over at super slow speeds. When you've
missed a few serves in a row, take a moment to just calm down, bounce the ball a bit, have a look at the exact spot you want to aim for and through the ball nice and high.

I often find that the serve messes when the ball toss goes behind me or not high enough - it's normally the cause of messing up a serve!

I'm the same, my second serve is super slow because I used to be plagued with double faults and I'd rather have at least a chance of winning the point even if my second serve is slow.

I agree that concentration and keeping calm was a big issue yesterday especially in the second set when I lost two long rallies at 15-30 when serving early on and also missed break points on his serve and before I knew it I was 0-4 down and I sort of chucked the set after that.

Ditto in the final set when serving for the match at 5-4 up I was 30-40 down and we had the longest rally we've ever had I think which he won, and after that I struggled for concentration in the next games so lost it 7-5, when I was really guilty of rushing serves and losing focus.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 7688
Wow, a potential Fedal QF, didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:
Are they ****ING serious?!

Murray drawn in Djokovic's half. Federer and Nadal could set another QF showdown.

Men's Draw:

QF match-ups:

Djokovic vs Del Potro
Murray vs Berdych

Ferrer vs Gasquet
Federer vs Nadal

Potential Semis:

Djokovic/Del Potro vs Murray

Ferrer vs Nadal (Ferrer)
(edited 10 years ago)
Great news for Ferrer and Rafa. Ferrer might negotiate his way into the semis if he plays well, Rafa in his current form looks very good for the final.

Awful news for Djokovic, Murray and Federer. The first two guys might have to face each other after facing DelPo and Berdych who can be very dangerous, before the tired winner takes on Rafa in the final. Federer has a problem in the QF, enough said. The only advantage is if he were to somehow win that, he would probs get Ferrer as a warm-up for the final.
Reply 7691
Rafa looking pretty good for the final and the title here. If he beats Federer he should certainly beat Ferrer or Gasquet.
Original post by Prendah
Rafa looking pretty good for the final and the title here. If he beats Federer he should certainly beat Ferrer or Gasquet.

I think we will see a Fedal QF this time - both their early sections of the draw are not particularly daunting, except for perhaps their 4th Round matches: Federer vs Nishikori, Nadal vs Isner
Reply 7693
That's an awful draw for Murray and Djokovic. I don't get why seeds 1 and 3 are mostly always matched up with each other in slams (not to mention the two finalists last year)... wouldn't it make more sense for 1 and 4 on half, and then 2 and 3 on the other?

Djokovic potentially has to face Del Potro, Murray and then Nadal. :s-smilie: Can't see him winning in his current form tbh. Nadal has a great shot.
Original post by Xotol
That's an awful draw for Murray and Djokovic. I don't get why seeds 1 and 3 are mostly always matched up with each other in slams (not to mention the two finalists last year)... wouldn't it make more sense for 1 and 4 on half, and then 2 and 3 on the other?

Djokovic potentially has to face Del Potro, Murray and then Nadal. :s-smilie: Can't see him winning in his current form tbh. Nadal has a great shot.

It's theoretically random which half 3 and 4 go into.

Nadal has a very good shot indeed.
Haha - who the hell is updating Wikipedia?
Murray will be gutted now he's lost the number 2 ranking. If he had Rafa's draw I'd have put him favourite to win the tournament.
Reply 7697
Just looking at Rafa's run, he could meet Davydenko who leads their H2H, especially on hard. However, Davydenko is definitely not the player he was.
Also, if Murray's match against Llodra is as good as his last one, it should be fun. [video="youtube;oyxhHkOel2I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyxhHkOel2I[/video]
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
It's theoretically random which half 3 and 4 go into.

Nadal has a very good shot indeed.

Djokovic has probably the worst draw he could get at this time. He faces a guy who last beat him on a hard court and who pushed him into an epic at Wimbledon before facing last years years champion and then a Nadal who has a relatively easy draw. Worse still, all 3 are the main contenders for the tournament.

It's supposed to be random but back when Fedal was all any tournament wanted Nadal met Murray 16 out of 19 times.
Reply 7699
They might as well just hand over the trophy to Nadal right now. What's the point of them playing any match? Nadal will beat both Federer and Ferrer easily and will be rubbing his hands in the thought of having to playing a tired Novak or Andy. The draws are definitely fixed. I've lost count of the times Federer and Nadal were put in the same QF this season.

And how lucky is this Nadal guy? He is playing Federer at all these events, where pre 2013 Federer would have been the favourite and would have won, but Nadal was AWOL all these years. Watch them play at WTF as well and Nadal might finally get an indoor win. Nadal is a lucky opportunist.

Latest