The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by techno836
it's my job :cool: no i'm just a nice guy :awesome:

I got 7A*s 3As and 5Bs :smile: .. if you want a breakdown i'll PM you :smile:

Don't worry about the breakdown :tongue: The 5B's kinda pulls down the A* average :frown: What you got planned for the future? :biggrin:
Reply 1641
Original post by lolface32
Don't worry about the breakdown :tongue: The 5B's kinda pulls down the A* average :frown: What you got planned for the future? :biggrin:

yeah I know but i'm not that bothered as the percentage doesn't matter to me :smile: and Medicine, where I apply though they only see the top ten grades and score those (if they even have to score GCSEs )

so it's all good :biggrin:
yeah I know but i'm not that bothered as the percentage doesn't matter to me :smile: and Medicine, where I apply though they only see the top ten grades and score those (if they even have to score GCSEs )

so it's all good :biggrin:

lol, smart move :awesome:
Reply 1643
lol, smart move :awesome:

hahah yeah I will be a smart applicant :cool: ..good job I know Leeds does this :awesome: :woo:
haha you can only hope :ninja: but Definitely talk to your exams officer straight away and best of luck :-)

I wonder... My overall Biology grade is 343 (which by my calculations should actually be 344 and my Chemistry should be 345 - something's definitely going on), which is 20 marks under my Physics grade of 363. In B3, I got 80 UMS marks. In P3, I got 100 UMS. Perhaps they've got mixed up? Because that would actually work then, as I knew before I did B3 that I needed 96 UMS to get an A*, but I needed 102 UMS in Physics, thus making it impossible. So it could, hopefully, be just a school error.

I'm also wondering about my Music Creative Task. I know I'm being rather picky, but my Music teacher said after I'd done it, "Well done, that should get at least a B, perhaps an A." I got a G - and only just! Right on the boundary. Now, had I got a B or an A, I could easily have had a B or A overall... Don't you think that's a bit odd? I'm not saying the exam board have got something wrong, but I do think my teacher might have done.
hahah yeah I will be a smart applicant :cool: ..good job I know Leeds does this :awesome: :woo:

Is there something special about Leeds? Leicester does it to:colondollar:
Reply 1646
Original post by tsjmcgrath
I wonder... My overall Biology grade is 343 (which by my calculations should actually be 344 and my Chemistry should be 345 - something's definitely going on), which is 20 marks under my Physics grade of 363. In B3, I got 80 UMS marks. In P3, I got 100 UMS. Perhaps they've got mixed up? Because that would actually work then, as I knew before I did B3 that I needed 96 UMS to get an A*, but I needed 102 UMS in Physics, thus making it impossible. So it could, hopefully, be just a school error.

I'm also wondering about my Music Creative Task. I know I'm being rather picky, but my Music teacher said after I'd done it, "Well done, that should get at least a B, perhaps an A." I got a G - and only just! Right on the boundary. Now, had I got a B or an A, I could easily have had a B or A overall... Don't you think that's a bit odd? I'm not saying the exam board have got something wrong, but I do think my teacher might have done.

explain it all to your exam officer as what you say could be possible and does explain it all :h:

yes it's easily possible your teacher did, actually many people the music one happens too :s-smilie: I believe its the most risky subject :lol:
Reply 1647

Are you OCR for music? They marked everything extremely harsh this year and I got a D overall lmao I barely just got a C in my creative task....
Reply 1648
Is there something special about Leeds? Leicester does it to:colondollar:

I have some family that live in Leeds and I like the course structure :biggrin: obviously Open Days will decide it all though :-)
]

I should probably say now, I'm doing Edexcel Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & Physics, and AQA German :smile:
Reply 1650
Original post by SophieB1997
I should probably say now, I'm doing Edexcel Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & Physics, and AQA German :smile:

Done :h: hope your results went okay :awesome:
explain it all to your exam officer as what you say could be possible and does explain it all :h:

yes it's easily possible your teacher did, actually many people the music one happens too :s-smilie: I believe its the most risky subject :lol:

Okay, I'll try and do so. :smile: I don't mind if the A* transfers from Physics to Biology, but if I lose out on an A* because they've copied the results incorrectly then I'll be a little annoyed. I know it's petty, but it's just irritating.

Yeah, the grade boundaries were ridiculous! It's a horrible subject, I wish I'd taken something else like I.T. or even Geography.

Original post by Mr.Nor
Are you OCR for music? They marked everything extremely harsh this year and I got a D overall lmao I barely just got a C in my creative task....

Yeah - funnily enough both of my lowest grades were with OCR (the other being a U in Additional Maths)! They're definitely my most hated exam board, why did they mark everything so harshly?
Reply 1652
Okay, I'll try and do so. :smile: I don't mind if the A* transfers from Physics to Biology, but if I lose out on an A* because they've copied the results incorrectly then I'll be a little annoyed. I know it's petty, but it's just irritating.

Yeah, the grade boundaries were ridiculous! It's a horrible subject, I wish I'd taken something else like I.T. or even Geography.

Yeah - funnily enough both of my lowest grades were with OCR (the other being a U in Additional Maths)! They're definitely my most hated exam board, why did they mark everything so harshly?

No one in my school passed music, the highest grade was D. Everyone got C> on the listening exam....
Original post by Mr.Nor
No one in my school passed music, the highest grade was D. Everyone got C> on the listening exam....

Oh my, that's terrible! Someone really needs to sort out these exam boards. See, that's the only good thing Michael Gove proposed with the EBCs: just one exam board for each subject (well, it might have been one exam board with divisions for each subject, but it's the same thing really). AQA and the other exam boards actually seem to judge exams relatively fairly.

I know one person who got an A* in my Music class, however he does happen to be Grade 8 and has played at the Royal Albert Hall (during the Proms, I think, some sort of special event). He's also part of the school jazz band which, I believe, reached the national finals. To add to that he's also in various other bands and Grade 7 (I think) on Piano. But my problem is, you shouldn't have to be at that level to get a good GCSE - that's A-Level, if not degree calibre! Of course he definitely deserves that grade, but it seems odd that I and many others in my class have got Grade 4 and above in an instrument of some shape or form and only ended up with Cs.
Done :h: hope your results went okay :awesome:

Thank you! I'm happy with my results :smile:, hope you are too.
Reply 1655
Original post by SophieB1997
Thank you! I'm happy with my results :smile:, hope you are too.

Good :h: and I am thank you :h:
Reply 1656
Oh my, that's terrible! Someone really needs to sort out these exam boards. See, that's the only good thing Michael Gove proposed with the EBCs: just one exam board for each subject (well, it might have been one exam board with divisions for each subject, but it's the same thing really). AQA and the other exam boards actually seem to judge exams relatively fairly.

I know one person who got an A* in my Music class, however he does happen to be Grade 8 and has played at the Royal Albert Hall (during the Proms, I think, some sort of special event). He's also part of the school jazz band which, I believe, reached the national finals. To add to that he's also in various other bands and Grade 7 (I think) on Piano. But my problem is, you shouldn't have to be at that level to get a good GCSE - that's A-Level, if not degree calibre! Of course he definitely deserves that grade, but it seems odd that I and many others in my class have got Grade 4 and above in an instrument of some shape or form and only ended up with Cs.

One of my closest friends is in the national youth orchestra (or something like that) and only came out with a D overall....These marks are way too harsh :frown:
Actually looking forward to starting sixth form now! It's good we still have a bit more time after results though :yes:
Strangely excited for all the uni talks and open days within the next year:colondollar:
Me too! Getting my results has made me excited to get back to school :tongue:
Original post by Mr.Nor
One of my closest friends is in the national youth orchestra (or something like that) and only came out with a D overall....These marks are way too harsh :frown:

Oh my... That's disgraceful. I almost want to start properly investigating this, it doesn't sound fair at all.

Latest