The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjpneed
A*s don't mean anything beyond ego. You won't care about your gcse results in sixth form, As are fine for uni and sixth form places

your statement is correct for everything apart from medicine - and Law and Economics at LSE.
Original post by TheDboyAi
This is how my results went:

Lieutenant:Captain!!! I have the up most urgent news for you sir

Me: Status report, ASAPP

Lieutenant: Well.... The good news is that you got an A in computing

Captain: Acknowledged

Lieutenant: also an A in Art and Design

Captain: Hipeeee:smile:

Lieutenant: a C in Maths (higher tier)

Captain: hmmm... Ok but a B would have be better

Lieutenant: a Pass in Btec Ict, Engineering, sports and a Merit in Science( its actually worth two Merits:smile: )

Lieutenant: But there's the bad news

Captain: The "Bad News"?? What is this bad news you speak of??

Lieutenant:Well...sir..the bad news... The bad new-

Captian: GOD DANMITT Lieutenant, spill out the beans already

Lieutenant:sir..you got D's in the rest of your gcse's

Captain: Impossible

Lieutenant: IM afraid to say... You COMPLETY FAILED Your English

You have 3 options here...

1.Captian: THE FRAKK??

2.Captian: WhatTheDuck?? How did I get such bad results??

3.Captian: AHH ****TEEO.o

I think you've been playing too much Mass Effect! :biggrin:
Original post by sophiamarni
I got 1A,2Bs,3Cs and 2Ds but im getting the geography d remarked

no it wont you did your best i was crying all day and i said to myself sophia you did your best i got an A and minor A*s and i am pleased and happy i think you will be a great doctor just work on those a levels i applied to a grammar school and hopefully i get in but i want to do politics at uni
:smile:

good luck :smile: somehow i feel as if i didn't do my best, mostly because of exam stress, and now i am experiencing heavy post exam stress lol
Original post by iamlynchy
hello everyone! I'd really like some advice please, today I received my results. I was two marks off an A star in maths (CCEA), would it be worth repeating T6 or getting a remark? I was two marks off an A in both my english exams and two marks off an A star in biology (all by CCEA) overall I'm wondering which should I repeat and which should I get remarked? if any? this isn't my final GCSE year I'm going into that year so repeats would be okay, please help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think that it might be worth remarking the english exams as the marks are more open for consideration than, say , maths where the the answer is right/wrong. but if it's not your final GCSE year, work hard the following year and you'll SMASH your resits. all in all, you know whether you think you did enough for an a* and should base your resits on how likely you think you will get the higher grade.

hope that helped.:smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Oxford certainly do care about GCSEs. As do Edinburgh, Birmingham, King's...

You certainly don't need 6 A*s to apply to medicine. :no:

What is essential in order to apply for medicine ? I mean in terms of grades and activities,etc.

Are your GCSE results compared with other people's GCSE grades when applying to do medicine ? :smile:
Thanks
Original post by TheDboyAi
This is how my results went:

Lieutenant:Captain!!! I have the up most urgent news for you sir

Me: Status report, ASAPP

Lieutenant: Well.... The good news is that you got an A in computing

Captain: Acknowledged

Lieutenant: also an A in Art and Design

Captain: Hipeeee:smile:

Lieutenant: a C in Maths (higher tier)

Captain: hmmm... Ok but a B would have be better

Lieutenant: a Pass in Btec Ict, Engineering, sports and a Merit in Science( its actually worth two Merits:smile: )

Lieutenant: But there's the bad news

Captain: The "Bad News"?? What is this bad news you speak of??

Lieutenant:Well...sir..the bad news... The bad new-

Captian: GOD DANMITT Lieutenant, spill out the beans already

Lieutenant:sir..you got D's in the rest of your gcse's

Captain: Impossible

Lieutenant: IM afraid to say... You COMPLETY FAILED Your English

You have 3 options here...

1.Captian: THE FRAKK??

2.Captian: WhatTheDuck?? How did I get such bad results??

3.Captian: AHH ****TEEO.o

you're obviously less lethargic than i am, i wouldn't bothered to write all that
Reply 7746
Advice?
I got 1 A*, 7 A's and 2B's. I'm proud of myself but I was expecting better results, like a lot better but
I had a difficult last year in high school which affected my last exams. I've got into my preferred college which is great and I'm going to try my best to get 3 A*'s. Will my GCSE's affect me getting into a russel group uni like oxford or cambridge?
Original post by sr234
Well done:awesome:
What did you get?:smile: I was chuffed with my eng grades!:smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 7A* 2As A in Add maths A in AS maths 4Dist* 4Dist

oh .. both As were in language and lit

my school is kindah crap though tbh .... they have like a 48% A*-c rate :| lol

Hbu ?

Ryan
Hi guys do you think this is enough for Cambridge med school
English Lang a*
English lit a*
Chemistry a*
Physics *
Maths a*
Phil eth a*
A level maths a*
Ad maths a
Business studies a
Geography a
Biology a
German b

Do you think my gcse's will be considered holistically as I did an a level within the same duration of time
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Hope everyone got what they wanted. I just went in to collect my Maths and Core Science grades; I'm in Year 10. Got an A* for Maths and an A in Core Science. :biggrin:
hey guys i was wondering whether a distinction* btec is equivalent to 2A*s at GCSE
GUYS!!! you know the feeling when you hold your tears in soo much that you can cry for days? well thats my feeling right now! 2B's, 5C's,1D and 1E. I know my family are all really dissapointed in me but are tring to help me get in a college somewhere. My family are all smart with my dad being a doctor and my brother and sister also getting into good unis. I don't know whereever to do Betc for Engeniring or A-Levels with Physics, Maths and either economics or accounting please guts WHICH ONE SHOULD I DO???? and if i get good A-Levels could i get in Manchester uni? Or are my GCSE's too bad????????
Original post by PriyaPaul
What is essential in order to apply for medicine ? I mean in terms of grades and activities,etc.

The only real universal essential is AAA at A-level. Everything else varies per the university you apply to, so you'll have to do your research to find that out! We've got a great wiki here to start you off.

Are your GCSE results compared with other people's GCSE grades when applying to do medicine ? :smile:
Thanks

Sort of - how they're used depends on where you apply! Different universities have different scoring systems, use GCSEs in different ways, and put different weightings on things. For starters, we've got a list of all the minimum requirements for GCSEs here. But this doesn't tell you how a university uses your GCSEs! To find that out requires more research. :tongue:
Original post by Darnell LD97
hey guys i was wondering whether a distinction* btec is equivalent to 2A*s at GCSE

im not an expert but i highly doubt that one distinction* = 2 A* at GCSE:confused:
Original post by 006
Advice?
I got 1 A*, 7 A's and 2B's. I'm proud of myself but I was expecting better results, like a lot better but
I had a difficult last year in high school which affected my last exams. I've got into my preferred college which is great and I'm going to try my best to get 3 A*'s. Will my GCSE's affect me getting into a russel group uni like oxford or cambridge?

nope it wont i wish i got that many As i just got 1 and minor A*s
Original post by theskyisblu
Thats great advice :smug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you- I'm glad you like it! :biggrin:

Original post by ryanb97
How did he get an offer exactly ? ? ?
Was he predicted the A*AA norm requirement ?

That's what I was wondering- I only read it in the newspaper but I did encouraged by it!
can i do politics at uni with a d in eng lang :frown:
Reply 7757
I got 3A*, 7A, and a B.
I was 3 marks off A* in both Biology and Chemistry - is it worth a remark?

Our school had problems with OCR English literature and our head of english is making an appeal.. hoping i go up to an A* :colone:
Reply 7758
Oxford certainly do care about GCSEs. As do Edinburgh, Birmingham, King's...

You certainly don't need 6 A*s to apply to medicine. :no:

Oxford don't, not sure about the others
The only real universal essential is AAA at A-level. Everything else varies per the university you apply to, so you'll have to do your research to find that out! We've got a great wiki here to start you off.

Sort of - how they're used depends on where you apply! Different universities have different scoring systems, use GCSEs in different ways, and put different weightings on things. For starters, we've got a list of all the minimum requirements for GCSEs here. But this doesn't tell you how a university uses your GCSEs! To find that out requires more research. :tongue:

Thanks for the info... Great now even more research :tongue:

Latest