The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
I studied GCSE German via Distance Learning and today I've been exchanging emails with my tutor. She said that across the board, Unit 4 (Writing) seems to have been marked very harshly, as she was also surprised by my C grade. I was one mark off a B in writing and overall, 4 marks away from an A* grade. She said that I could consider a remark but I'm not so sure. I've never appealed any result before. I know it could go up or down but I'm well within an A so I don't think it could go down to a B, could it? What does the thread think?
Well, if you're quite a way over the A boundary, it's down to your budget, really. Have you gone over the grades and raw mark conversion table with a fine-tooth comb on the AQA converter, though? Work out how many raw marks you'd could lose before it became a B!

But I must admit, I thought having CA scripts remarked was practically impossible. I thought that for those to be marked again, the exam centre had to submit that subject's entire collection of scripts for re-moderation. For obvious reasons, not every candidate is going to be willing to risk it and give their consent. Were you the one and only GCSE Germanist?

I saw my German tutor today after I'd collected my results, and she said the same for her GCSE set.

While I was visiting the language department, I also endeared myself to the new Head of French, who's just joined the college (and whom I'd thus never met before- so I didn't realise she was a French teacher) as she overheard me explaining to my (German) tutor about how I hadn't really worked enough on my French CAs because I couldn't be bothered with French, and I regretted that.*:rofl:

German tutor said, "Wash your mouth out Octo! This is the new head of French sitting next to me!"

So, at least my rampant prejudice won't come as a shock to the poor woman when AS French begins!

*If I'd thought the listening boundaries had the potential to be so low that I could get an A* there, I would have spent less time on TSR, and more time teaching myself the French passive tenses... For the first time in my life, my performance on written coursework dragged my exam marks down!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by aasvogel
Fantástico! I was on full UMS in Spanish until those pesky writings. :frown: (congrats also on your overall grades. :h:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A* in Italian! And I got 100% in both the listening and reading exams :biggrin:
Well done everyone else on your fantastic grades!
Original post by Octopus_Garden
Well, if you're quite a way over the A boundary, it's down to your budget, really. Have you gone over the grades and raw mark conversion table with a fine-tooth comb on the AQA converter, though? Work out how many raw marks you'd could lose before it became a B!

But I must admit, I thought having CA scripts remarked was practically impossible. I thought that for those to be marked again, the exam centre had to submit that subject's entire collection of scripts for re-moderation. For obvious reasons, not every candidate is going to be willing to risk it and give their consent. Were you the one and only GCSE Germanist?

I saw my German tutor today after I'd collected my results, and she said the same for her GCSE set.

While I was visiting the language department, I also endeared myself to the new Head of French, who's just joined the college (and whom I'd thus never met before- so I didn't realise she was a French teacher) as she overheard me explaining to my (German) tutor about how I hadn't really worked enough on my French CAs because I couldn't be bothered with French, and I regretted that.*:rofl:

German tutor said, "Wash your mouth out Octo! This is the new head of French sitting next to me!"

So, at least my rampant prejudice won't come as a shock to the poor woman when AS French begins!

*If I'd thought the listening boundaries had the potential to be so low that I could get an A* there, I would have spent less time on TSR, and more time teaching myself the French passive tenses... For the first time in my life, my performance on written coursework dragged my exam marks down!

Haha, that sounds exactly like the sort of thing I would do! :lol:

As far as I am aware, it is simply a remark on a per candidate basis. I think perhaps you mean a remoderation? I'm not sure of the terms they use. According to my tutor, the script is simply looked over again and then the mark adjusted accordingly. Working backwards from my UMS of 62/90 gives me a raw mark score of 42. The boundary for a B grade is 43, and the boundary for a C grade is 35; so I would have to lose 7 raw marks/14 UMS marks to drop a grade for that unit. I have 266/300 UMS points, the A boundary is 240, whilst the boundary for an A* grade is 270/300. I would have to lose 56 UMS marks to go down to an overall B grade for the course, so obviously I am well within the A boundary.

I can't decide whether I should ask for a remark or not, especially if the majority of MFL papers have been marked in such a fashion. :s-smilie:

Very ironic you posted those threads as I sporadically browse the TES language forums, and 10 minutes before you posted I was browsing those very threads! Yes it seems to me to be an issue of 'harsh marking', but is it justified? Or is it a case of just marking them down on purpose so as to reduce the number of grades? You don't even know what to believe what with Gove's repugnant hands fettling the education system.

Original post by BaconEmperor
I got an A* in Italian! And I got 100% in both the listening and reading exams :biggrin:
Well done everyone else on your fantastic grades!

Excellent news! Well done to you. :woo:.
(edited 10 years ago)
How did they do that? *astonished*

The French teacher is apparently pretty terrible. Otherwise, nobody gives a ****.
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom

with Gove's repugnant hands fettling the education system..

:lol: The naughty fellow must be punished for his actions.:wink: hahahhh
Original post by MangoFreak
The French teacher is apparently pretty terrible. Otherwise, nobody gives a ****.
Is this the one that doesn't offer a single :eek: modern language A-level?
Reply 6948
Original post by thatitootoo
Was du sagst, ist gewiss richtig!
Man sagt "Machst du dich..." nicht sehr oft, aber es ist nicht falsch.
Aber doch scheint "Machen Sie sich..." mir mehr "popular" als "Machst du dich...":wink:

I would say it definitely was incorrect - the top result for it on Google is your post on this thread!

The reason machen Sie sich... is more common would be because machen Sie is the imperative and sich is the dative reflexive particle of Sie - so it is the direct equivalent of mach dir, not machst du dich.
Original post by Ronove
I would say it definitely was incorrect - the top result for it on Google is your post on this thread!

The reason machen Sie sich... is more common would be because machen Sie is the imperative and sich is the dative reflexive particle of Sie - so it is the direct equivalent of mach dir, not machst du dich.

Aha! I own the incorrect version, that's just...ausgezeichnet-.-
This is all very grammar technical...typisch Deutsch :tongue: But I suppose I already knew about "Ich mache mir viele Sorgen" so hmmm makes sense tehFrance...das war sehr nett von dir, mir helfen zu versuchen :wink: anyhoo are the Danes overworking unsere Ronove, oder kannst du es da ja aushalten? :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6950
Original post by thatitootoo
Aha! I own the incorrect version, that's just...ausgezeichnet-.-
This is all very grammar technical...typisch Deutsch :tongue: But I suppose I already knew about "Ich mache mir viele Sorgen" so hmmm makes sense tehFrance...das war sehr nett von dir, mir helfen zu versuchen :wink: anyhoo are the Danes overworking unsere Ronove, oder kannst du es da ja aushalten? :wink:

Jeg vil gerne se, om du kan forstå det, hvis jeg snakker dansk til dig (selv hvis du bliver nødt til at bruge Google Translate). :tongue:

Jeg havde fri i lidt over en uge inden jeg startede igen arbejde denne uge, mine stakkels fødder gør rigtig ondt lige nu. Jeg har nattevagt i morgen og dagen efter, jeg bliver oppe og ser lidt fjernsyn lige nu, efter at have sovet da jeg kom hjem i dag. Jeg gik desværre glip af størstedelen af mine yndlingsprogrammer mens jeg sov, og der er ikke rigtig meget at vælge imellem klokken lort om natten. :mad:
Original post by Ronove
Jeg vil gerne se, om du kan forstå det, hvis jeg snakker dansk til dig (selv hvis du bliver nødt til at bruge Google Translate). :tongue:

Jeg havde fri i lidt over en uge inden jeg startede igen arbejde denne uge, mine stakkels fødder gør rigtig ondt lige nu. Jeg har nattevagt i morgen og dagen efter, jeg bliver oppe og ser lidt fjernsyn lige nu, efter at have sovet da jeg kom hjem i dag. Jeg gik desværre glip af størstedelen af mine yndlingsprogrammer mens jeg sov, og der er ikke rigtig meget at vælge imellem klokken lort om natten. :mad:
This is the one of the most comprehensible posts via google translate so far in this thread! There was only one serious "WTF that's not what you say" bit in the whole English translation, and that one was still easily understandable!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6952
Original post by Ronove

Sorry for jumping in, but I just wanted to say that I understand most of it. :biggrin:
Original post by Ronove

Looooolsk! I OBVIOUSLY understood ALL of that!

Nawwwww Roney :tongue: Det er ikke godt. sove en hel dag for at den ekstra energi! :wink:

Ich muss jetzt auch schlafen gehen, weil ich morgen früh aufstehen muss! After pondering about my A-level options, on this thread for the past three months...the final enrolment day ist nähe! There will be no more zurückgehen und altern(?) for Tootoo! :colone: :colone:
This is the one of the most comprehensible posts via google translate so far in this thread! There was only one serious "WTF that's not what you say" bit in the whole English translation, and that one was still easily understandable!

The Dutch translation was pretty smooth too :cool:
Keep in mind the word-order of North Gemanic languages are not too far removed from that of English :wink:
*ändern *nahe

Het ist late! Gute Nacht und welterusten iedereen! !:wink:
Reply 6957

I put it through myself just now to see what it said. I love how it just completely misses out the o'clock in the (rather Danish) '**** o'clock/**** a.m.' so that last clause made absolutely no sense.

Original post by vwsl93
Sorry for jumping in, but I just wanted to say that I understand most of it. :biggrin:

Tillykke. :tongue: Er du svensker?
felicitation a tous!!
Original post by Ronove
I put it through myself just now to see what it said. I love how it just completely misses out the o'clock in the (rather Danish) '**** o'clock/**** a.m.' so that last clause made absolutely no sense.

I never even noticed the missing "o'clock"! I think that may say something quite negative about my own standard of English... :blushing:

The only thing that bothered me was the "look" bit!

Latest

Trending

Trending