The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elcano
Ok people, help me out please.

... I don't have a suit. Where I come from (Switzerland) suits are usually not required for school events and the like, so a lot of boys / men don't have one until much later. So anyway, I don't have one, and I'm pretty sure I need one at Cambridge.

Now... what to buy and where to buy it? Do you have any suggestions? It doesn't have to be the absolutely cheapest option, as I believe in spending a bit more in exchange for higher quality, or, in case of a suit, a better fit.

Also: which type would you recommend? Don't I actually need two, like a normal suit plus a dinner suit?

I know, this probably sounds incredibly daft to you, but I've really never worn one, nor has my father, so there's not a lot of 'suit knowledge' in the family, I'm afraid. ^^

Yes, it's probably good to have a lounge suit, and a dinner suit.

How much you spend is up to you really, it literally doesn't matter.
Reply 121
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Yes, it's probably good to have a lounge suit, and a dinner suit.

How much you spend is up to you really, it literally doesn't matter.

Why doesn't it matter...? I've seen suits that look terrible and some that look great; the latter ones generally were better fitted and must have been much more expensive...
Original post by Elcano
Why doesn't it matter...? I've seen suits that look terrible and some that look great; the latter ones generally were better fitted and must have been much more expensive...

I don't think more expensive necessarily means better fitted...

It doesn't matter in that it's your choice. If you'd prefer more expensive ones, then buy more expensive ones. I just mean that there's nothing wrong with getting cheap ones if you'd rather not spend too much money. My suits both fit well and were pretty cheap.
Reply 123
Original post by hogwartian1993
Girls - what are you wearing to matriculation? Ball gown? Casual dress (whatever that is)? Somewhere in between? I'm so confused! I don't know how formal it is!

Definitely not a ballgown or a prom gown - a casual dress will suffice. Something not too short and clingy. The kind of dress you can get in Monsoon are usually safe, like a wrap dress. Even a smart pencil skirt and a white shirt is pretty classy - that's what we had to wear to the ceremony itself.
Etoile

kghol
Original post by chocoholic_x
]

Original post by Etoile
]

Original post by bananarama2
]

Original post by francesw
]

Original post by Loulybob
]

Original post by tabularasa22
]

I leave this thread for a couple of days and come back to find that it's been practically taken over by the Sherlock society :biggrin: and we seem to have 10 members now! (including the 2 who aren't on TSR) I hope this can grow and grow! :biggrin:

Original post by SpecialKaye
]Sherlock fan at Fitz. (Can my contribution be my knowledge of Sherlock drinking games?)

What are these drinking games?!?!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 126
Original post by iamsherlocked
I leave this thread for a couple of days and come back to find that it's been practically taken over by the Sherlock society :biggrin: and we seem to have 10 members now! (including the 2 who aren't on TSR) I hope this can grow and grow! :biggrin:

Absolutely, with so many people interested we should be able to make it an official society!
Hello to you too, fellow Sherlockian. Congratulations on your place! :biggrin: I'll be studying PBS also, so I'm sure we can have many a' discussions on Sherlock pre/post lectures. Which college have you been accepted in to?

Thank you :smile: and congratulations to you on yours!! I'm still in the stunned happiness place at the moment, and am itching to receive a reading list/homework, even though I now have to sort out packing up my entire flat and sorting out storage for the next three years lol!! I've been accepted to Lucy Cavendish College :smile: I applied to them after attending an open day for mature students and feeling surprisingly at home there, plus all the staff I've had contact with have been incredibly helpful and encouraging - and the food on open day was awesome!!

Which college are you going to? And what are you most looking forward to about the PBS course? At my interview I was asked what I was reading at the time - Principles of Neural Science, a hefty but brilliant book - and my interviewer said he recommends that text to his students!! :smile: I can't wait to start formally learning stuff relating to that!! :smile:
Reply 128
Hello! I was lured in by the mention of Sherlock! /waves a bit

Regarding formal dress (?), I see that white shirt + skirt is required for the matriculation ceremony; does that apply to all colleges? O: I've been told that a dress should suffice...
Reply 129
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Name: Katie
College: Murray Edwards
Subject: Natural Sciences
Offer: A*AA
Results: A*A*A*A*A*A*aaa
How do you feel?: Pretty happy... :banana::dance::woo:

Are those 9 A-LEVELS?
Original post by iamsherlocked

Ahh, can't reveal the secrets of the soon-to-be-created Sherlock society over the interwebs.

(Shots. Lots of shots. And a hybrid version of the classic Lord of the Rings drinking games as modified by a friend of mine who may or may not have parents who used to be casual drug dealers.)
Original post by Archaean

Regarding formal dress (?), I see that white shirt + skirt is required for the matriculation ceremony; does that apply to all colleges? O: I've been told that a dress should suffice...

*waves back*

It varies from college to college. I know Murray Edwards lets their students wear colourful dresses, but others go with good ol' fashioned school uniform chic. I'm guessing we'll be told well before we arrive, probably in a freshers pack or something. :smile:
Ahh, can't reveal the secrets of the soon-to-be-created Sherlock society over the interwebs.

(Shots. Lots of shots. And a hybrid version of the classic Lord of the Rings drinking games as modified by a friend of mine who may or may not have parents who used to be casual drug dealers.)

The best kind of drug dealers.
Reply 133
Original post by Archaean

Your college will let you know in excruciating detail before you arrive.
Original post by tabularasa22
Thank you :smile: and congratulations to you on yours!! I'm still in the stunned happiness place at the moment, and am itching to receive a reading list/homework, even though I now have to sort out packing up my entire flat and sorting out storage for the next three years lol!! I've been accepted to Lucy Cavendish College :smile: I applied to them after attending an open day for mature students and feeling surprisingly at home there, plus all the staff I've had contact with have been incredibly helpful and encouraging - and the food on open day was awesome!!

Which college are you going to? And what are you most looking forward to about the PBS course? At my interview I was asked what I was reading at the time - Principles of Neural Science, a hefty but brilliant book - and my interviewer said he recommends that text to his students!! :smile: I can't wait to start formally learning stuff relating to that!! :smile:

Oh wow, a lot to be getting on with then. Have you looked at the 'recommended' reading list? I bought one of the books on that list - "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker - and it's been pretty slow-going. And that's not because it's not interesting, I actually find it pretty fascinating, it's just because it's packed with statistics, has fairly small text, and is over 1000 pages long! :tongue: But yes, I'm just really excited to start university now and I really can't think of anywhere better to be given the opportunity of studying.

That's really nice that you've found a college you already feel at home at. :smile: I'll be going to Selwyn college, which I haven't actually visited yet as I was pooled there. But from all the research I've excitedly carried out on Google, it does sound like a great college. What am I most looking forward to? Hmm that will probably have to be the research projects we get to carry out in our second and third year! I currently have ambitions of becoming a Research Psychologist myself so that should be really fun. Ah, I will have to get "Principles of Neural Science" at some point then!

Ha, the LOTR drinking game - where you get drunk within half an hour due to the beautiful rule of taking a shot whenever there's a closeup of the ring. :tongue:

Spoiler

Thought I'd check in here a year early. :smile:
Reply 137
Ooh, thanks! I'll wait for more information from my college, then! :biggrin:

Drinking games... We tried the Sir Attenborough drinking game once. It was a bad idea.
Oh wow, a lot to be getting on with then. Have you looked at the 'recommended' reading list? I bought one of the books on that list - "The Better Angels of Our Nature" by Steven Pinker - and it's been pretty slow-going. And that's not because it's not interesting, I actually find it pretty fascinating, it's just because it's packed with statistics, has fairly small text, and is over 1000 pages long! :tongue: But yes, I'm just really excited to start university now and I really can't think of anywhere better to be given the opportunity of studying.

That's really nice that you've found a college you already feel at home at. :smile: I'll be going to Selwyn college, which I haven't actually visited yet as I was pooled there. But from all the research I've excitedly carried out on Google, it does sound like a great college. What am I most looking forward to? Hmm that will probably have to be the research projects we get to carry out in our second and third year! I currently have ambitions of becoming a Research Psychologist myself so that should be really fun. Ah, I will have to get "Principles of Neural Science" at some point then!

Lol, random fact: Lucy Cavendish shares Selwyn's nurse!! :smile: I've also got the Pinker book, but like you am finding it slow going!! Ah, the research :h: In my interview I asked about voluntary research assistant roles over the long summer vacations (as some other uni's offer that), and my interviewer said "funny you should mention that!" They'd just found out they'd secured funding for some of their students to do just that :smile: He advised me to keep an eye out for potential supervisors during my first year, then approach one to see if I could help with research either during my first or second long vacation. I almost did a happy dance round the room at that! Fortunately, I managed to constrain myself until after I'd left :colone:
Original post by theJdog
Are those 9 A-LEVELS?

Haha, I wish :tongue:! No, A levels in capitals, AS levels/ EPQ in lower case:
A*s in A2: Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General studies
a* in EPQ
as in AS: French, Critical Thinking, Biology

Latest

Trending

Trending