Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by Prendah
Did you get in through clearing? I've heard nothing yet.

Yes. I think it is done at random, but im not sure. It seems that other people from clearing have got their accommodation offers too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
hi guys! Im from indonesia, and i can't wait to get started in october!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Course: English Literature and Linguistics (3 years)
Offer: 36 IB Points total, with at least 16 total for the best 3 Higher level subjects, and at least 6 for English Literature
Results: 42 IB points, with 20 total in my higher level subjects, and 7 for English Literature
College: Cartmel Superior ensuite
I was wondering whether anyone knows if I could join any orchestras in the university even though im not a music student :smile:
Original post by tiffanycallysta
hi guys! Im from indonesia, and i can't wait to get started in october!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Offer: 36 IB Points total, with at least 16 total for the best 3 Higher level subjects, and at least 6 for English Literature
Results: 42 IB points, with 20 total in my higher level subjects, and 7 for English Literature
I was wondering whether anyone knows if I could join any orchestras in the university even though im not a music student :smile:

Hi! :smile:

There are over 200 societies I think so I think it's likely there will be a fair few music ones!
Reply 283
Just looking at minor subjects, and since I'm studying Maths which is 80 credits, am I only able to study one other subject?
Reply 284
Original post by Prendah
Just looking at minor subjects, and since I'm studying Maths which is 80 credits, am I only able to study one other subject?

How do you find out how many credits your course is worth? I can't find it anywhere for psychology! =(
Reply 285
Original post by WWEGirl
How do you find out how many credits your course is worth? I can't find it anywhere for psychology! =(

http://www.lusi.lancs.ac.uk/OnlineCoursesHandbook/Default.aspx
Just looked around here, although I'm not sure if I'm reading it right.
Reply 286
Original post by Prendah

I think that's right. You need 40 credits from a different subject.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2082740

Take a look at the 10th post about majors and minors.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 287
Original post by HannahS95
They aren't always brilliant, they can be awful, especially really broad ones on women who sound like they've smoked for 2372984797 years :') Doesnt help me that neither of my parents have a yorkshire accent, so I just have a kind of generic northern one :') hahah indeed! it was just too isolated for me, like a little bubble :')

To be fair, i've only heard yorkshire accents from a mate from Northallerton and Emmerdale - so not the best sample! :laugh: Haha, at least you had the same accents around you, i grew up with kinda south african, australian, american and geordie ones in my family... that's really confusing to a kid! :') I guess that's one downfall of some campus unis :rolleyes:
Reply 288
Original post by Orthrus
To be fair, i've only heard yorkshire accents from a mate from Northallerton and Emmerdale - so not the best sample! :laugh: Haha, at least you had the same accents around you, i grew up with kinda south african, australian, american and geordie ones in my family... that's really confusing to a kid! :') I guess that's one downfall of some campus unis :rolleyes:

Yeah haha :') I mean they're alright, but ive just heard tooooo many on chavs etc :') I think my accent was less strong when I was younger because of my parents, then I picked up abit of an accent from people at school :') Yeah it is, but i think for me it had more to do with it being remote than being campus :')
Reply 289
Yeah haha :') I mean they're alright, but ive just heard tooooo many on chavs etc :') I think my accent was less strong when I was younger because of my parents, then I picked up abit of an accent from people at school :') Yeah it is, but i think for me it had more to do with it being remote than being campus :')

Haha oh god, i know very well about chavs ruining an accent, particularly in my old high school which was pretty bad for chavs :angry: I think i used to speak kinda posh before picking up the accent from friends - they'd take the piss if i "said things wrong" :') Yeah, i actually couldn't imagine going from living in a city to living at st andrews :')
Reply 290
Original post by Orthrus
Haha oh god, i know very well about chavs ruining an accent, particularly in my old high school which was pretty bad for chavs :angry: I think i used to speak kinda posh before picking up the accent from friends - they'd take the piss if i "said things wrong" :') Yeah, i actually couldn't imagine going from living in a city to living at st andrews :')

That sounds familiar! Many a time in younger school years people told me I said things wrong :') Yeah I know thats a big switch! Its still pretty big to go from Newcastle to Lancaster! Doesn't feel so big a change for me, I say I'm from Leeds but I live like 20 minutes out, basically off J27/28 of the M62 :') And where I actually live is like all small towns running into each other, so I'll be closer to a town living on campus next year, since its only 10 mins on the right bus :')

Ps, word to all freshers, you will learn to hate the 2A, and celebrate if you manage to get a 3 into town!
Reply 291

Hey, there probably is a musical society of some sort and if not you can get help setting your own up! Have you visited the UK or Lancaster before? :smile:
Reply 292
That sounds familiar! Many a time in younger school years people told me I said things wrong :') Yeah I know thats a big switch! Its still pretty big to go from Newcastle to Lancaster! Doesn't feel so big a change for me, I say I'm from Leeds but I live like 20 minutes out, basically off J27/28 of the M62 :') And where I actually live is like all small towns running into each other, so I'll be closer to a town living on campus next year, since its only 10 mins on the right bus :')

Ps, word to all freshers, you will learn to hate the 2A, and celebrate if you manage to get a 3 into town!

I wouldn't say it was getting picked on for our accents, i'd call it simply friendly unfriendliness :laugh: Newcastle's a kinda strange city in that it's kinda big, but also the surroundings are lots of towns, nature, and suburbs that mesh together - so i'll probably be fine :') Well keep going at this rate and next time you move, it'll be into an actual city :') Ahh, buses, we meet again!
Reply 293
Original post by Orthrus
I wouldn't say it was getting picked on for our accents, i'd call it simply friendly unfriendliness :laugh: Newcastle's a kinda strange city in that it's kinda big, but also the surroundings are lots of towns, nature, and suburbs that mesh together - so i'll probably be fine :') Well keep going at this rate and next time you move, it'll be into an actual city :') Ahh, buses, we meet again!

Hahahah I guess you could call it that :') I've never actually been to Newcastle! I was going to go to the open day for the Uni, but then it clashed with Durham's, and I decided I wasnt bothered :') Yeah probably will, people say Lancaster's small, but its not THAT small :') Imagine if you came from London or something though! I'm not really a city girl tbh with you, London always feels super foreign whenever I visit! Actually the buses at the uni arent that bad, pretty reliable in terms of theres usually one coming in about five minutes, far better than the arriva we have here! So glad I have a car, going to miss it at uni! But yeah anyway the only bad thing about the buses in Lancaster is some of the bus routes go round the houses, and one goes straight into town, its so frustrating to turn up to the underpass/bus station and realise your journey is going to be ten minutes longer than needed! :')
Lancaster is not so small and isolated that you will feel bored in 10 minutes , but nor is it so big that it will feel intimidating . It's a perfect university city in my eyes.

-JonNgog
Reply 295
Hahahah I guess you could call it that :') I've never actually been to Newcastle! I was going to go to the open day for the Uni, but then it clashed with Durham's, and I decided I wasnt bothered :') Yeah probably will, people say Lancaster's small, but its not THAT small :') Imagine if you came from London or something though! I'm not really a city girl tbh with you, London always feels super foreign whenever I visit! Actually the buses at the uni arent that bad, pretty reliable in terms of theres usually one coming in about five minutes, far better than the arriva we have here! So glad I have a car, going to miss it at uni! But yeah anyway the only bad thing about the buses in Lancaster is some of the bus routes go round the houses, and one goes straight into town, its so frustrating to turn up to the underpass/bus station and realise your journey is going to be ten minutes longer than needed! :')

Oh it's cool here, i live between the city and the beach so i couldn't complain! Likewise, i've never been to "basically off J27/28 of the M62" - University of Leeds, yes, but there? Nope :')
I imagine anywhere feels like fields and countryside when you're coming from london! I used to go there a lot so i feel okay in some places... like, i know Heathrow like the back of my hand :tongue:
Wait, just ten minutes!? Hahaha, i was expecting like half an hour of going round the same roundabout or something :laugh:But i'm good with buses anyway, probably because i don't have a car!
Original post by SpiggyTopes
Hi! :smile:

There are over 200 societies I think so I think it's likely there will be a fair few music ones!

Original post by 3DDY
Hey, there probably is a musical society of some sort and if not you can get help setting your own up! Have you visited the UK or Lancaster before? :smile:

thanks for the info! :biggrin: last summer i went to the UK, but i only went to london and not much anywhere else :s but from what i've seen lancaster is beautiful :biggrin: much preferable for me than busy, hectic metropolitan cities like london.
Reply 297
thanks for the info! :biggrin: last summer i went to the UK, but i only went to london and not much anywhere else :s but from what i've seen lancaster is beautiful :biggrin: much preferable for me than busy, hectic metropolitan cities like london.

Ah sweet, thats good then :smile: You'll have a long journey getting over here I bet, hopefully you wont forget anything! :tongue:

Lancaster couldn't be any more different from London, it's a lot more friendly and welcoming. You'll enjoy it very much:-)

-JonNgog
Hi! I'm doing Maths and I'll be in a Superior Ensuite at Furness. :smile:

Does anyone else feel like they've forgotten everything they ever knew about the subject? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending