The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by shamika
Although we did have one lecture which started with Pythagoras' theorem / cosine rule and ended with Russell's Paradox in the first week. It might've been Liebeck... maybe they stopped that :s-smilie:

At the end of my 1st week in Cambridge, our Director of Studies thought it would be a useful idea to run a Sunday tutorial session to get us into the swing of things! One girl objected on religious grounds as she was quite a devout Christian, but the rest of us traipsed off to the old DPMMS building for a couple of hours on the Sunday afternoon!

That's the sort of dedication we need to see :smile:
Reply 361
Original post by davros
At the end of my 1st week in Cambridge, our Director of Studies thought it would be a useful idea to run a Sunday tutorial session to get us into the swing of things! One girl objected on religious grounds as she was quite a devout Christian, but the rest of us traipsed off to the old DPMMS building for a couple of hours on the Sunday afternoon!

That's the sort of dedication we need to see :smile:

:eek:

But you haven't learnt anything in the first week! Which college was this?

Spoiler

Reply 362
Original post by shamika
:eek:

But you haven't learnt anything in the first week! Which college was this?

Spoiler

Well, we were young and didn't know any better :smile:

It's obviously too long ago now for me to remember exactly what we did that day, but I'm sure it was only a gentle introduction to things!

Mind you, our DoS adopted the policy of setting past Tripos questions for supervisions, rather than using the lecturers' example sheets, so we may even have been shown a couple of "real" questions as a sort of shock tactic!
Reply 363
Original post by davros
Well, we were young and didn't know any better :smile:

It's obviously too long ago now for me to remember exactly what we did that day, but I'm sure it was only a gentle introduction to things!

Mind you, our DoS adopted the policy of setting past Tripos questions for supervisions, rather than using the lecturers' example sheets, so we may even have been shown a couple of "real" questions as a sort of shock tactic!

Was this at Churchill by any chance? ukdragon mentioned some crazy stuff the Computing DoS did there, was it a college thing?

If you did past papers during term, does that mean you aced all the exams as you knew all the stuff come revision? :tongue:
Reply 364
Original post by shamika
Was this at Churchill by any chance? ukdragon mentioned some crazy stuff the Computing DoS did there, was it a college thing?

If you did past papers during term, does that mean you aced all the exams as you knew all the stuff come revision? :tongue:

It wasn't Churchill - I won't mention the actual college as the DoS is still there!!

I certainly didn't ace the exams, and as one of my fellow students pointed out, the example sheet questions actually go beyond the level of Tripos questions, so it's a bit of a debatable policy - a bit like only doing A level past papers without understanding the harder questions in the book - but I've no idea how it compares to other colleges in terms of overall success rate!
Sorry for bringing up this thread again but now that my school is actually opened they informed me that I was only 2 marks away from getting a Merit, if only I didn't make stupid mistakes in this set of exams in June then I would've gotten A*A*A23+Merit instead of getting A*AB3 :redface:
Original post by davros
It wasn't Churchill - I won't mention the actual college as the DoS is still there!!

I certainly didn't ace the exams, and as one of my fellow students pointed out, the example sheet questions actually go beyond the level of Tripos questions, so it's a bit of a debatable policy - a bit like only doing A level past papers without understanding the harder questions in the book - but I've no idea how it compares to other colleges in terms of overall success rate!
For reference/comparison:

When I was there, the Churchill DOS (applied) set an "intro sheet" of 9 questions of which the hardest 1 or 2 were roughly Tripos difficulty. I'd guess the median people managed was 3 or 4 questions for the supervision.

But our Pure supervisor was worse: set 4 Tripos questions for the 1st week, when we hadn't even had any lectures yet! [To be fair, I think it was his first year teaching and he'd come from Oxford so wasn't used to Cambridge way of working].

And in general, we just did Tripos questions for supervisions. In hindsight, I'm inclined to this was good for exam success but not ideal preparation for research etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending