The Student Room Group

Crash Higher Business Management or Modern Studies

I have taken neither of them for standard grade. Although I have taken Geography and History for both standard grade and higher. Got a 1 for them both in Standard Grade, and an A for my history, and a B for my geography (have appealed so hopefully will be an A).

However after doing a month of modern studies, I did my first essay (no clue how I have done yet but it seems quite difficult because I'm not used to writing such short essays) and I am worried if I have done all three social subjects I'm limiting myself to one area.

I'm considering studying business at Uni but I know business management isn't a requirement. Would it help if I took it?

Has anybody got experience of both the subjects and can tell me which one they found more enjoyable? Thanks!
Reply 1
Studying business will let the unis know that you have an interest in business therefore will be an advantage when appylying for a business related course.
Reply 2
I agree with the above, if you are considering a business degree at uni then business would be a good subject to take. I have never taken business but i have taken modern studies at standard grade and higher and got an A. I was predicted a C but somehow managed an A!

Modern studies is great subject and really interesting. The essays can be difficult to get your head around but once you have done a few then you will be fine. The DME was my weakest point i feel in the course but again you just have to put in the hard work. It is a fairly easy crash i would say, although some people i know did crash it and failed or ended up with C's.

It's up to you really!
Reply 3
Thank you guys! With that in mind I'm going to go into school and see about changing the subject to business management. I think I'd enjoy it more than modern studies.
Reply 4
Original post by scotland101
Thank you guys! With that in mind I'm going to go into school and see about changing the subject to business management. I think I'd enjoy it more than modern studies.

Crashing business myself, heard modies is a horrible.
I crashed Modern Studies and yes it was very stressful (a LOT of facts have to be remembered) haha but I got there in the end and got myself a B. But I think in your case you should definitely take Business Management because this way you can properly get a feel for it and therefore make sure that this is what you want to study in future, otherwise you might get to uni and discover you have lost interest in it!
Hiya I was thinking of crashing business management aswell could anyone give me an idea of what it is like and what is involved.
Is it mainly remembering facts or is it based on other skills?
Thanks to anyone who can help :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jess1203400
Hiya I was thinking of crashing business management aswell could anyone give me an idea of what it is like and what is involved.
Is it mainly remembering facts or is it based on other skills?
Thanks to anyone who can help :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hellooo I personally have not taken Business but I have taken Administration, which is kind of like Business but with computers haha. Also, my boyfriend has taken it so I have seen some examples. You should definitely check out some of the past papers on SQA website. You'd be surprised that you might actually know a small amount of the answers already, some of it is general knowledge. It asks for things like (taken from BBC Bitesize) It

Which of the following is usually true about poor quality products?
They are in demand
They fail to meet customer expectations
They are expensive

So really it is one of those subjects where it is more about shoving it in your head then letting it out in the exam :smile:
Original post by hattiemcbinky
Hellooo I personally have not taken Business but I have taken Administration, which is kind of like Business but with computers haha. Also, my boyfriend has taken it so I have seen some examples. You should definitely check out some of the past papers on SQA website. You'd be surprised that you might actually know a small amount of the answers already, some of it is general knowledge. It asks for things like (taken from BBC Bitesize) It

Which of the following is usually true about poor quality products?
They are in demand
They fail to meet customer expectations
They are expensive

So really it is one of those subjects where it is more about shoving it in your head then letting it out in the exam :smile:

Thanks that's exactly what I wanted to know if I decide I am taking another higher I think it will be business management :-D

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending