The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Chelsea apparently hijacking Willian! That means a stay for Rooney if true! fingers crossed!
Original post by Whitechapel
Chelsea apparently hijacking Willian! That means a stay for Rooney if true! fingers crossed!

Isn't he a winger? Not sure why Chelsea want him when they have multiple players that can play in his position.

They still need a striker.
Bale to Madrid, ronaldo return?
Reply 8803
Original post by ledleyking123

Please don't start jizzing over a Ronaldo return which isn't going to happen.
Original post by Whitechapel

That would be kinda stupid of Chelsea unless their willing to get rid of one of their midfielders maybe Mata or Moses who seem to have fallen behind the pecking order under Mourinho. They don't really need him though.
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
That would be kinda stupid of Chelsea unless their willing to get rid of one of their midfielders maybe Mata or Moses who seem to have fallen behind the pecking order under Mourinho. They don't really need him though.

Mata and Moses are the two players that won't go. Moses for the homegrown rules is vital for us, he gives us a counter attacking approach with that workrate of his and selling Mata is stupid. One what top team needs Mata that will afford 35m for him? Two why would we weaken ourselves getting an inferior player to Mata when he needs to settle, doesn't have the influence mata has, it's just a stupid transfer and mourinho knows that. It's not like we need to generate cash in wages either.

Mata's been injured most of pre-season and isn't fully fit after coming back from confeds cup.
Reply 8806
Original post by jam277
Mata and Moses are the two players that won't go. Moses for the homegrown rules is vital for us, he gives us a counter attacking approach with that workrate of his and selling Mata is stupid. One what top team needs Mata that will afford 35m for him? Two why would we weaken ourselves getting an inferior player to Mata when he needs to settle, doesn't have the influence mata has, it's just a stupid transfer and mourinho knows that. It's not like we need to generate cash in wages either.

Mata's been injured most of pre-season and isn't fully fit after coming back from confeds cup.

You talk as if Chelsea's transfer policy is logical...
Original post by Saf94
You talk as if Chelsea's transfer policy is logical...

Well if you've seen what we've done the whole summer and overall the past 2 seasons(bar the sturridge transfer) it's been rather logical, getting rid of deadwood and replacing them with young talent and plugging the obvious hole in our squad if possible, but go on and beat a dead horse that's been done to death.

You'll probably say the same for city this season.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8808
Original post by jam277
Well if you've seen what we've done the whole summer and overall the past 2 seasons(bar the sturridge transfer) it's been rather logical, getting rid of deadwood and replacing them with young talent and plugging the obvious hole in our squad if possible, but go on and beat a dead horse that's been done to death.

You'll probably say the same for city this season.

Lol why would i say the same about city...

How have Chelsea plugged their holes when their holes are cm and a striker and they've signed none of those...

All they've signed is attacking midfielders and now they're going for another hence not logical. And your history of singing unneccessary players (Shevchenko, Torres) shows that theres obv a lack of logic somewhere in these transfer dealings.

And its great you're signing young talent shame that you never play any of them and just sell them off after a while.
Willian to Chelsea sounds like another Roman Abramovich trophy signing, like Torres in 2011. I'd be intrigued how much Mourinho wants him, hence he's probably scratching his hair out but as he's "happy", he'll bite his tongue and get on with it rather than complain.

Moyes press conference should be tomorrow morning, still don't know why he didn't do one for the Swansea match but hope to hear his thoughts on the bids for Fellaini/Baines and not liking Martinez too much with his comments - he seems to be stoking it up more rather than downplaying and focusing on the football.
Reply 8810
Original post by Saf94

How have Chelsea plugged their holes when their holes are cm and a striker and they've signed none of those...

That's not quite true, we have Essien back from loan and now Van Ginkel to play in a deep midfield role. And then striker wise we got Lukaku back from loan as well.
Original post by Saf94
Lol why would i say the same about city...

All they've signed is attacking midfielders and now they're going for another hence not logical. And your history of singing unneccessary players (Shevchenko, Torres) shows that theres obv a lack of logic somewhere in these transfer dealings.

And its great you're signing young talent shame that you never play any of them and just sell them off after a while.

As they payed a lot of money this summer, sorting out their problems. E.g. the fernandinho haters.

Not true, van ginkel, lukaku back from loan, de bruyne back from loan(who played CM for bremen) and I explained the logic in the signings, our problem last season was that an extended run in means that benayoun/marin got appearances in essential prem games, now we play around 60 games a season on average. 4 competent attacking midfielders are enough.

I highly doubt we'll be getting willian, just sounds like the 'mata to united' and luiz to arsenal rumours just an agent ploy or some guy talking out of his arse.

Finally the last bit is nonsense, so hazard, mata, lukaku, de bruyne, luiz etc who we bought young weren't played, and ryan bertrand gets a lot of games. But hey lets say that we just make luxury signings most of the time. The only real cock up after the torres transfer has been sturridge. I could say matic too but we got luiz in the deal who probably is better in the DM position anyway and we needed a CB badly at the time.
Am I the only one who think Willians overrated - thus while Tottenham might appreciate adding a bit more quality - he'd be fighting alongside Moses in the Chelsea team?
Reply 8813
Original post by jam277
As they payed a lot of money this summer, sorting out their problems. E.g. the fernandinho haters.

Not true, van ginkel, lukaku back from loan, de bruyne back from loan(who played CM for bremen) and I explained the logic in the signings, our problem last season was that an extended run in means that benayoun/marin got appearances in essential prem games, now we play around 60 games a season on average. 4 competent attacking midfielders are enough.

I highly doubt we'll be getting willian, just sounds like the 'mata to united' and luiz to arsenal rumours just an agent ploy or some guy talking out of his arse.

Finally the last bit is nonsense, so hazard, mata, lukaku, de bruyne, luiz etc who we bought young weren't played, and ryan bertrand gets a lot of games. But hey lets say that we just make luxury signings most of the time. The only real cock up after the torres transfer has been sturridge. I could say matic too but we got luiz in the deal who probably is better in the DM position anyway and we needed a CB badly at the time.

City signed well and plugged their holes Chelsea didnt.

You've strengthened your strongest area, yes it will be good in those odd european games when you need to rotate but its hardly ur main weakness and its not really plugging a hole when that hole is full of already world class players. And De Bruyne is an attacking midfielder he can play cm but doesnt make him one, like playing Kagawa at cm hes not ur long term solution there.

Sorry Hazard and Mata werent young when you signed them they were already world class players playing at their peak, doesnt count as bringing through youth. Lukaku didnt play at all since hes came De Bruyne loaned out twice McEachren, Lucas Piazon, Sturridge, Chalobah etc all never get played this is my point. Maybe this season more youth will get a chance but its not really filling your holes they need to play consistently to get to the level you need but they arent at that level yet and thus they arent the quality you need in those areas to solve your problems
Reply 8814
Original post by That Bearded Man
Am I the only one who think Willians overrated - thus while Tottenham might appreciate adding a bit more quality - he'd be fighting alongside Moses in the Chelsea team?

I haven't seen anything to suggest he's worth the £30-35m being thrown around, and no, I don't think he'd be starting at Chelsea. He plays on the left anwyay, so he'd be up against Hazard and the newly signed Schurrle.
Original post by Saf94

You've strengthened your strongest area, yes it will be good in those odd european games when you need to rotate but its hardly ur main weakness and its not really plugging a hole when that hole is full of already world class players. And De Bruyne is an attacking midfielder he can play cm but doesnt make him one, like playing Kagawa at cm hes not ur long term solution there.

Sorry Hazard and Mata werent young when you signed them they were already world class players playing at their peak, doesnt count as bringing through youth. Lukaku didnt play at all since hes came De Bruyne loaned out twice McEachren, Lucas Piazon, Sturridge, Chalobah etc all never get played this is my point. Maybe this season more youth will get a chance but its not really filling your holes they need to play consistently to get to the level you need but they arent at that level yet and thus they arent the quality you need in those areas to solve your problems

We have plugged our holes bar the striker, We bought van ginkel in CM e.g. and got players back from loan. lukaku has featured in every game so far this season for at least 30mins so you clearly don't watch chelsea.

De bruyne is no different to us getting lukaku, oscar, mata or hazard who were already getting regular football at their clubs at CL/EL clubs/brazil. You're just using them here as they're not big name players. De bruyne started against hull. What's your point here that we don't play them?

Our main weakness last season was rotation and lack of depth, we had 4 competent AM's/wingers for 3 positions. There's no way you can say that's enough depth in a 69 game season, then the lack of DM's/CM's meant we had 3 for 2 spots and had to use a CB there(who was good there tbf)

Finally bertrand got 34 appearances last season, so it's not like we never use the youth. Chalobah was 17 years old ffs he's not gonna start for us and we started using nathan ake a few times towards the end of the season. Also with our AM's the reason we got schurlle was due to his work rate and counter threat, which only hazard possessed at a consistent level.
Original post by xDave-
I haven't seen anything to suggest he's worth the £30-35m being thrown around, and no, I don't think he'd be starting at Chelsea. He plays on the left anwyay, so he'd be up against Hazard and the newly signed Schurrle.

Which is why we won't get him, although schurle has been switching flanks and plays on the right as well now. Still don't think we'll get him.
Reply 8817
Original post by ledleyking123

Why are so many people saying this? They don't even play in the same position as each other. If they did then I could see why people are saying it but they don't. One plays on the left and the other on the right so it's completely fine and so Ronaldo isn't being shoved off to accommodate Bale.
Reply 8818
Original post by Saf94

You have no blooming clue do you? Mata was 23/24 when we bought him, okay so not that young but still a good three or four years away from their peak. Hazard was 21 when we bought him. Just because he was playing well in France, a poor league at the time, by no way means he was playing at his peak. What an utterly utterly stupid statement. Add to that Oscar who was just 20 when we bought him and was pretty underrated at times last year. Whilst Mata was superb last season, Oscar did just as well at getting goals at important times.

Lukaku didn't play much under AVB true, but he alienated half the squad at the same time by not playing them so that's not really as much as surprise as your making it. Besides we have a process now of buying more young players who may not be necessarily be that well established to play in the Premier League for a team competing for titles, loaning them out so that they can get consistent first team action (ie. Lukaku at West Brom, De Bruyne at Genk (who we bought him from from in January 2012 then loaned back for the rest of the season - similar to your very own Zaha deal; and then at a top half German club); and he's a very versatile player.

Chalobah had a very good season at Watford at last year and if you had actually paid attention to any other football you'd hear that he was one of the Championships best young players last season.
Whilst it true that this has worked for us some loans haven't. McEachren to Swanseas didn't because Swansea pretty much refused to play him although he had a breakthrough season the year before; whilst Piazon's loan to Malaga seemed a bit silly at the time as he was on the verge of first team action.

The only silly deal I think we'd have done in the last few years would be Sturridge. He was outstanding for us and I firmly believe that he shouldn't have left, but he was more ambitious than we were letting him at the time. He did great at Bolton (another great loan spell as at the time, Ancelotti would have been a very brave man to play a 19 year old ahead of Drogba and Torres) came back and was superb under AVB. He was unlucky with injuries that season and last and yet in hindsight it was a poor deal to sell him for only £12 million and buy Ba. But then at the time nobody could have seen just how much Ba has, I wouldn't say struggled, but not been at ease.

In addition to the discussion you were having, over the last few years we've solved our problems in midfield when all we had established was an unfit Essien, Lampard, Mcheacren, Ramires, Mikel, Malouda and Kalou. Now we've got Essien, Lampard, Mikel, Ramires, De Bruyne, David Luiz, Mata, Oscar, Moses, Hazard, Schurrle, and Piazon all capable of playing ahead of the defence and behind the striker.

Not to mention the likes of Nathan Ake, who as a 17 year old, won at Old Trafford, ouch!. Add to that Bertrand Traore, Ryan Bertrand, Islam Feruz, Wallace, Courtoius and probably another few who I've missed off the list.

We've plugged those holes, so who's to say we won't plug CM and ST in the near future. Personally I think we're okay in CM and need a defensive midfielder such as De Rossi, and a new striker, maybe Eto'o. We've filled in our problems in Attacking mid in new options so that Mazacar aren't playing so much and having so much pressure piled on them. This summer we've got new fullbacks and an actually reliable back up keeper-rather than Ross Turnbull and Hilario.

We've done well over the last few years, whatever deals you wan't to ignore.
Reply 8819
Original post by Aky786UK
Moyes press conference should be tomorrow morning, still don't know why he didn't do one for the Swansea match but hope to hear his thoughts on the bids for Fellaini/Baines and not liking Martinez too much with his comments - he seems to be stoking it up more rather than downplaying and focusing on the football.

Moyes probably won't talk about it. Just like with everyone, it's embarrassing to explain a stupid action you've committed, in this case, the confusingly low and mistimed Baines and Fellaini bid.

Latest