The Student Room Group

foreign languages A-levels for law

Hello,

I'm a mature student and I'm interested in a law degree. I already have a bachelor degree and an MSc in a business subject. Given that my grades are not stellar I was thinking of studying towards A-levels. I speak Italian and Spanish at a B1-B2 level. Basically I was thinking to freshen up my Italian and Spanish and take up another language,probably Russian or Portuguese, because I think it will be more beneficial to learn another language.

My question is whether universities will consider someone with 3 A-levels in foreign languages for a law degree.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
foreign language a-levels are certainly looked upon favourably by university law schools. Law requires lignuistic skills and language a -levels are regarded as one of the most difficult types of a level subjects.

Considering you have an undergrad degree in business I shouldn't be surprised if at least some of the universities towards the bottom of the league tables would be interested. My advice would be to phone up the admissions department and find out what they have to say about you as a prospective candidate. I think they will be happy to give you some advice.

I am a law student so if you want any other advice feel free to send me a message.
Reply 2
Original post by jcukip
foreign language a-levels are certainly looked upon favourably by university law schools. Law requires lignuistic skills and language a -levels are regarded as one of the most difficult types of a level subjects.

Considering you have an undergrad degree in business I shouldn't be surprised if at least some of the universities towards the bottom of the league tables would be interested. My advice would be to phone up the admissions department and find out what they have to say about you as a prospective candidate. I think they will be happy to give you some advice.

I am a law student so if you want any other advice feel free to send me a message.

thank you very much for your reply. I am aiming at Bristol, King's, QMUL and maybe even Cambridge (although I know that's going to be very difficult).
Reply 3
Original post by anatolia3
thank you very much for your reply. I am aiming at Bristol, King's, QMUL and maybe even Cambridge (although I know that's going to be very difficult).

OK good choices, but let me warn you with Cambridge from what I understand though don't admit mature students for law who already have a degree. You can see that here under mature students http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/applications.php
Reply 4
Original post by jcukip
OK good choices, but let me warn you with Cambridge from what I understand though don't admit mature students for law who already have a degree. You can see that here under mature students http://www.law.cam.ac.uk/admissions/applications.php

they do.They can accept you as an affiliated and actually get a law degree in 2 years :smile:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/access/mature/ . But you cannot apply anywhere, only at certain colleges.
Reply 5
they do.They can accept you as an affiliated and actually get a law degree in 2 years :smile:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/access/mature/ . But you cannot apply anywhere, only at certain colleges.

so they can indeed
Original post by jcukip
so they can indeed

Moreover, if I remember correctly there is a particular college which has a bursary/sponsorship which pays for the tuition fees on the condition that the recipient agrees to sponsor another student at such a time that they can afford to do so. So that may be of some interest to the OP.
What's made you want to do a law degree on top of the degree you've got, OP? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
Moreover, if I remember correctly there is a particular college which has a bursary/sponsorship which pays for the tuition fees on the condition that the recipient agrees to sponsor another student at such a time that they can afford to do so. So that may be of some interest to the OP.

thank you.I didn't know that.
Reply 9
Original post by MrSupernova
What's made you want to do a law degree on top of the degree you've got, OP? :smile:

I took an optional law course during my MSc and I found it really interesting. I'm interested in IP rights.
Reply 10
Regarding language a levels for law, I think they are considered favourably by unis because not only, as someone stated above, law is heavily based on linguistic skills and communication skills, but also because that means that you are used to reading, analysing and doing research on literature (albeit on a much smaller scale). I was actually a little worried when I applied for law with four A levels that were all basically foreign languages since I was told that unis prefer more "well-rounded" individuals (esp for law, which is why you are at an advantage with your degree) so I would technically be better off with a mixture of sciences and humanities, but I had no problems with offers and ended up in my firm choice (qmul)!
So you shouldn't have any problems :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Tasya
Regarding language a levels for law, I think they are considered favourably by unis because not only, as someone stated above, law is heavily based on linguistic skills and communication skills, but also because that means that you are used to reading, analysing and doing research on literature (albeit on a much smaller scale). I was actually a little worried when I applied for law with four A levels that were all basically foreign languages since I was told that unis prefer more "well-rounded" individuals (esp for law, which is why you are at an advantage with your degree) so I would technically be better off with a mixture of sciences and humanities, but I had no problems with offers and ended up in my firm choice (qmul)!
So you shouldn't have any problems :smile:

That's great!May I ask what A-levels you took?
I took an optional law course during my MSc and I found it really interesting. I'm interested in IP rights.

Have you considered a graduate law conversion course? You'll probably know all about them and discounted them for one reason or another, but I'm just making sure lol
Reply 13
Original post by MrSupernova
Have you considered a graduate law conversion course? You'll probably know all about them and discounted them for one reason or another, but I'm just making sure lol

I thought about it but I opted against it. I know that many people working in the legal profession don't have a law degree, and law firms state it doesn't give you an advantage, but I still believe that it does make a significant difference. As far as I know the GDL is supposed to be more practical rather than academic, yet I have many reservations concerning the career development and the understanding of law (no offense) of non-law graduates.
Reply 14
That's great!May I ask what A-levels you took?

I did English Literature, Modern Greek, Italian and French. I also started Statistics but dropped it after AS, just didn't enjoy it as much as the languages :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Tasya
I did English Literature, Modern Greek, Italian and French. I also started Statistics but dropped it after AS, just didn't enjoy it as much as the languages :smile:

are you Greek?because I am.:biggrin: I have a CELI 3 degree in Italian.The thing is I don't know the degree of difficulty in achieving A-A* at A-levels.
Reply 16
are you Greek?because I am.:biggrin: I have a CELI 3 degree in Italian.The thing is I don't know the degree of difficulty in achieving A-A* at A-levels.

No I'm not greek actually, but I had to learn the language inevitably,it's a long story.. hehe
I have CELI 3 as well and I believe that if you did well for that (granted you kept up that level) then at least a B at A level is guaranteed, as for A-A* you would have to have the right preparation for it,which can be tricky. The amount of study though will be significantly decreased by you basically already having a higher level than that which is required for a level (it's more like B1 level/CELI 2).
Reply 17
Original post by Tasya
No I'm not greek actually, but I had to learn the language inevitably,it's a long story.. hehe
I have CELI 3 as well and I believe that if you did well for that (granted you kept up that level) then at least a B at A level is guaranteed, as for A-A* you would have to have the right preparation for it,which can be tricky. The amount of study though will be significantly decreased by you basically already having a higher level than that which is required for a level (it's more like B1 level/CELI 2).

thank you!I thought the level of A-level Italian was B2.
Reply 18
thank you!I thought the level of A-level Italian was B2.

Yes, it's closer to B1 according to my teachers, I should however mention that there is a difference between AS level and A2 level, where AS is easy and A2 is slightly more demanding. However, nothing compares to the negative marking of the CELI...
There are some past papers available online (on the Edexcel website), so I recommend that you check them out just to have a better idea.
Good luck :smile:
What would be more beneficial? Doing an LLB with a language or doing an LLB whilst going through the DELF and/or DELE up to at least C2?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending