English Lang: A* A*
Maths: A* A*
Biology, Chemistry& Physics: A*A*A* AAA*
Geography: A* A
Art: A* A
RE: A* A*
German: A A*

Comments:
Before: I knew from the first week an A* in Art for me was impossible. If I get an A* in Maths it will be ridiculously close. It is impossible for me to get an A* in Physics due to me having to get 103% in the final unit... I think the others I may have achieved... just. Think I may have got an A* in German as I have been doing extra work as I wanted to show my teacher I could get an A* if I tried really hard.
After: ...How on earth did I get an A* in Physics?! Very happy with my German. Disappointed with my Geography as I got two A*s in the papers but my coursework dragged me down (considering in the mocks I got C's in both papers I'm very proud though). English Lit I am also disappointed, but got full marks in my coursework so again I'm proud.
However, I feel I can't really complain as I still did very well. Plus my friend got the first A* in Food Tech in our school for 15 years and is off to do a chef diploma. I feel like a proud parent!
:smile:
What are you going to study for Alevels/Btechs/IB:
Biology, Chemistry, Decision Maths and English Literature

Did anyone manage an A* in AQA English Literature?

Yeah, I did - what texts did you do? Also, for some unknown reason, I too was predicted an A* in Biology and ended up getting an A, but I got an A* in Chemistry lol. I genuinely found Biology the easiest, and yet I got lower than what I was predicted :/ I got an A in Physics though, which I was happy about because I thought I had failed the second paper. What examining board were you with for the sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8041
If the exam has less definitive answers theres a chance you could get the extra mark due to a different examiners opinion.

Personally if I was in that situation I would get it remarked because let's face it, straight A's sounds nice and looks pretty written down.
The only thing to lose is money if the grade doesn't change. But the decision is yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8042
Original post by Heytherehello
Haha, i bet you were too! Also, in english lit, i had never actually written an essay for one of my books in exam conditions before (also i did igcse so we weren't allowed any of our books in the exam) and i was like oh **** i'm going to fail and i got an A*. Similarly, the day after my french listening and reading i was sobbing to my mother saying i'd failed french. Turned out i got full UMS marks in the listening, reading and speaking then got 83/90 on the writing and got almost full marks overall! The exam boards be cray cray!! haha

Oh god, i don't know how i would manage without books in the english exams! Haha woww!:h:
Omg you're the first person i know that also use the term 'cray cray':cool:
I know i wrote complete and utter bull**** for my business exam and failed my coursework, don't know how i got an a*:eek:

Thank you to whoever has made the examiners cray cray. May the forces be with you.
Original post by Squidgy
If I wait until September 4th to speak to my school about getting an exam remarked does that give me long enough to sort it out? ( I really want to get it remarked so I don't want to miss the deadline) (Ones on AQA ones on OCR)

Also could someone tell me how I go about getting exams remarked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard somewhere that you have until 11 sept to apply for remarking but i may be wrong, so definitely check that! You need to contact your school examinations officer, tell them what you want doing and they should sort it out for you :smile:
Reply 8044
I'm in Y10 and due to the exams changing from a modular to linear format I only received one result this year. A in Core Science, which I am pleased about since I was predicted a C.

Hopefully many more A*/A next year! :smile:
Reply 8045
Original post by Squidgy
If I wait until September 4th to speak to my school about getting an exam remarked does that give me long enough to sort it out? ( I really want to get it remarked so I don't want to miss the deadline) (Ones on AQA ones on OCR)

Also could someone tell me how I go about getting exams remarked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Find a way to speak to your school as soon as you can, teachers at my school have already sorted files out to send off for remarks :smile:
Hey do you think the school will let me take economics for a-level even though i got a b for english language. Also is further maths edexcel hard because i really want to take it for a-levels.
Well I got an A in my French which Im pretty disappointed in when my predicted grade was an A* :frown:. I got b for Listening, A* for reading, A for writing and A* for listening. I got 260 marks overall, do you guys have any idea how much marks was I off from an A* and if you do, do you think I should retake the listening which I got a B (42 marks)? Also if I retake the listening exam and get a bad result will I still keep my best grade. Oh yeah and can you actually retake individual units even? Sorry but this is my first GCSE so I apologise if I sound daft.
when do you get all the certificates????
English Literature: A*
English Language: A*
Mathematics: A*
Astronomy: A
Biology: B
Chemistry: B
Physics: A
Information Technology: Distinction
French: B
History: A
BTEC Media Diploma: Distinction* (equivalent of 3A*s)
BTEC Drama Diploma: Distinction* (equivalent of 3A*s)

SO HAPPY. <3 :biggrin:

(I wish my French grade was an A though, might see if I can do something to move that up. History is getting remarked as I'm extremely close to the A* boundary).
11A*s
Reply 8051
Hello and Congrats to EVERYONE for their exam results!! I also received my results, and I have a query. In Edexcel Extension Biology, I got an A, and was one mark off (287/320). Should I get my B3 exam remarked? I got 72/80 in the exam, and one mark higher would give me enough to get an A* overall. Thank you!
Original post by Selgomez11
Well I got an A in my French which Im pretty disappointed in when my predicted grade was an A* :frown:. I got b for Listening, A* for reading, A for writing and A* for listening. I got 260 marks overall, do you guys have any idea how much marks was I off from an A* and if you do, do you think I should retake the listening which I got a B (42 marks)? Also if I retake the listening exam and get a bad result will I still keep my best grade. Oh yeah and can you actually retake individual units even? Sorry but this is my first GCSE so I apologise if I sound daft.

Assuming it's out of 300 I think it's 90% for A*, 80% for A, which would mean 270 for an A* and 240 for an A (I got 237 oh so close XD)
So that means you're 10 marks away from an A*, you shouldn't be disappointed because an A is really really good, languages are hard! You should be happy with an A, it's a really good grade.
I think if you get the better grade or the newer one depends on boards or something, I'm not sure. I resat a Science exam and they took my better one (the resit) so I assume it's the same maybe? I'd make sure with teachers, if you do decide to resit then I wish you the best of luck!
You normally would retake an individual exam, not all of them :smile:
Original post by Selgomez11

I got an A* with 293/300 and i think i read somewhere that A* is around the 270-280 mark, i'm not sure, but if that is the case i'm really sorry but i don't think it's worth the remark. I know how frustrated you feel though i'm in the same situation for 2 of my subjects, but an A is still good so congratulations :smile:
Edexcel Geography, i was pretty sure I got an a* in this before results day. This is because, i got 95 and 93 ums (A*A*) in the Dynamic Planet and Making Decisions papers last year (year 10). Also, i got 100 ums in the Geography coursework (A*). This equated to 288 UMS. 360 UMS/400UMS was an A*,so this meant i had to get 72 ums (low b) to get my a* overall. The exam i had to get 72 ums in, was the most recent exam I took this june. Unfortunatley i got 60 ums (c) and was 12 ums marks of the a* overall. I was shocked because I knew i did better than that because i counted the marks i thought i got whilst in the exam.

So my question is- i want to get my exam script back from Edexcel for that last People and the Planet paper, but how do i go about doing so?
Original post by Shady23
Hello and Congrats to EVERYONE for their exam results!! I also received my results, and I have a query. In Edexcel Extension Biology, I got an A, and was one mark off (287/320). Should I get my B3 exam remarked? I got 72/80 in the exam, and one mark higher would give me enough to get an A* overall. Thank you!

I understand your situation, I'm only two marks away from an A* in Chemistry overall XD.
Now whilst it's kind of rare for science exam marks to change (because it's a subject where generally an answer is either right or wrong, unlike essay subjects) you've got nothing to lose, so you may as well go for it I guess? You may get that extra mark! :biggrin: Good luck with whatever you do.
Original post by Terminator95
Hey do you think the school will let me take economics for a-level even though i got a b for english language. Also is further maths edexcel hard because i really want to take it for a-levels.

You can do pretty much any subject with a B in Eng Lang if that is the only subject you needed to get a particular grade in, so yes economics is a yes. Yes, further maths is extremely hard, unless you are very good at maths i wouldn't recommend doing it. Sorry, but that's the truth, if you aren't good at a subject don't risk it!
Original post by Okkefac
Assuming it's out of 300 I think it's 90% for A*, 80% for A, which would mean 270 for an A* and 240 for an A (I got 237 oh so close XD)
So that means you're 10 marks away from an A*, you shouldn't be disappointed because an A is really really good, languages are hard! You should be happy with an A, it's a really good grade.
I think if you get the better grade or the newer one depends on boards or something, I'm not sure. I resat a Science exam and they took my better one (the resit) so I assume it's the same maybe? I'd make sure with teachers, if you do decide to resit then I wish you the best of luck!
You normally would retake an individual exam, not all of them :smile:

Thanks your a huge life saver x :hugs:
Reply 8058
Original post by Okkefac
I understand your situation, I'm only two marks away from an A* in Chemistry overall XD.
Now whilst it's kind of rare for science exam marks to change (because it's a subject where generally an answer is either right or wrong, unlike essay subjects) you've got nothing to lose, so you may as well go for it I guess? You may get that extra mark! :biggrin: Good luck with whatever you do.

Haha being a few marks away from an A* is the worst :frown: I guess the best thing is to get it remarked, fingers crossed! The worst thing is that my school is charging £48 just for the remark... that's A LOT! Are you going to get your Chemistry remarked?
Original post by ssargithan
Haha a good airline... Do you think these results are good : 2 A*, 4 A's , 3B's and 2 C's to get into a Russel Group University for Aeronautical Engineering?

Most likely. GCSEs aren't as important as A levels (they still look at them though). Tbh yours are pretty good so it should be fine.

Latest