The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shady23
Haha being a few marks away from an A* is the worst :frown: I guess the best thing is to get it remarked, fingers crossed! The worst thing is that my school is charging £48 just for the remark... that's A LOT! Are you going to get your Chemistry remarked?

This is the first time I've ever been close to getting an A* so yeah I'm having mixed emotions, one half is like "dude you got a high A sldkfmsldmf" the other is like "Yes but A* was so close! XD. £48?! :O If my school charged that much I don't think I'd be able to afford a remark >.>. That seems way too pricey D: I probably won't get it remarked only because it's two marks off and not one, if I was one mark off I'd be really tempted to get it remarked :I Even if you don;t have yours remarked you can still tell people how you basically got an A* though :smile:
Anyone know how to convert the MATHS AQA LINEAR ums to raw marks?
Could you guys please look at this thread and advise?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2441866

i'd appreciate it :smile:
thanks,
Ben
Original post by NedSchool
Edexcel Geography, i was pretty sure I got an a* in this before results day. This is because, i got 95 and 93 ums (A*A*) in the Dynamic Planet and Making Decisions papers last year (year 10). Also, i got 100 ums in the Geography coursework (A*). This equated to 288 UMS. 360 UMS/400UMS was an A*,so this meant i had to get 72 ums (low b) to get my a* overall. The exam i had to get 72 ums in, was the most recent exam I took this june. Unfortunatley i got 60 ums (c) and was 12 ums marks of the a* overall. I was shocked because I knew i did better than that because i counted the marks i thought i got whilst in the exam.

So my question is- i want to get my exam script back from Edexcel for that last People and the Planet paper, but how do i go about doing so?

Original post by Okkefac
I understand your situation, I'm only two marks away from an A* in Chemistry overall XD.
Now whilst it's kind of rare for science exam marks to change (because it's a subject where generally an answer is either right or wrong, unlike essay subjects) you've got nothing to lose, so you may as well go for it I guess? You may get that extra mark! :biggrin: Good luck with whatever you do.

Original post by Heytherehello
You can do pretty much any subject with a B in Eng Lang if that is the only subject you needed to get a particular grade in, so yes economics is a yes. Yes, further maths is extremely hard, unless you are very good at maths i wouldn't recommend doing it. Sorry, but that's the truth, if you aren't good at a subject don't risk it!

Original post by Selgomez11
Thanks your a huge life saver x :hugs:

Original post by Shady23
Haha being a few marks away from an A* is the worst :frown: I guess the best thing is to get it remarked, fingers crossed! The worst thing is that my school is charging £48 just for the remark... that's A LOT! Are you going to get your Chemistry remarked?

Original post by Dominicoben
Most likely. GCSEs aren't as important as A levels (they still look at them though). Tbh yours are pretty good so it should be fine.

Original post by Okkefac
This is the first time I've ever been close to getting an A* so yeah I'm having mixed emotions, one half is like "dude you got a high A sldkfmsldmf" the other is like "Yes but A* was so close! XD. £48?! :O If my school charged that much I don't think I'd be able to afford a remark >.>. That seems way too pricey D: I probably won't get it remarked only because it's two marks off and not one, if I was one mark off I'd be really tempted to get it remarked :I Even if you don;t have yours remarked you can still tell people how you basically got an A* though :smile:

Could you guys please look at this thread and advise?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2441866

i'd appreciate it
thanks,
Ben
Original post by ryanb97
i would say remark unit 1 language.... but that would be it tbh

Ryan

hi, could you possibly check the post i just posted?? thanks :smile:
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Aw well done, that's awesome!! I know how you feel because our school has a 48% pass rate :s
But our year did well overall despite the news saying earlier people had done worse.
I had 7A*s 3As and 2B's (although the one b was in applied business and no-one got higher than a B and my teacher is confused :'()
Anyway, well done again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Our school has a 45% pass rate and it was brand new so we didn't have many resources and gcse choices like English literature and the triple sciences great job yourself I'm proud of you :biggrin:

What are you gonna do now? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8066
Original post by Okkefac

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! Part of me thinks that an A is good enough, but the other part says that an A* would be soo good! LOL Yeah, 48 pounds is so stupid... but I'm going to try and argue about the price, see if I can get it lower! I reckon I will get a remark, and hope for the best! Fingers crossed! Another A* will look so good, It's too close just to leave it :smile:
Reply 8067
i got 6As , 3Bs 1c 1D and want to go to oxbrige to study physics. Do i have a chance.
thanks
Hey, so yesterday I got my Gcse results for French and I got an A (thought I would have got an A* ) so now I have a choice if I should start a whole new language, Spanish for the next two years or I could do GCSE Geography for the next two years. i am quite confused as Im not very sure which one is more easier. Also language was quite hard for me and Im not sure I could work hard enough to get A cuz I never learnt spanish enough, however with GCSE geography I thought will be hard and I really want A* in it. What do you guys think, which will be a better choice?
Original post by Shady23
Yeah I know exactly what you mean! Part of me thinks that an A is good enough, but the other part says that an A* would be soo good! LOL Yeah, 48 pounds is so stupid... but I'm going to try and argue about the price, see if I can get it lower! I reckon I will get a remark, and hope for the best! Fingers crossed! Another A* will look so good, It's too close just to leave it :smile:

Yeah it's all so annoying xD. I got 2 Bs both of which were really close to As but I expected to get Bs in them so I am more than happy with almost As XD But if they had been As and my Chemistry had been an A* it would've sounded awesome.
Hopefully you can get it lowered! I wonder if we can get ISAs remarked because maybe there's an easier like, change to it since ISAs are more written based. Good luck, hope you get that A*! :biggrin:
Reply 8070
Original post by NedSchool
Anyone know how to convert the MATHS AQA LINEAR ums to raw marks?

Go onto the ums converter, type in a random amount of marks that seem possible and there will be a table showing marks from 0-full marks. And the raw marks will be next to the ums
Original post by Babogirl
i got 6As , 3Bs 1c 1D and want to go to oxbrige to study physics. Do i have a chance.
thanks

I'm sorry, but in all honesty i don't think so. I'd talk to your careers tutor though! Don't just take my word for it, i'm just a stranger on the internet!
Hallo! I know i'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon but hey ho, here're my results anyways :smile:

Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Geography: A*
PRE: A*
Art: A
Maths: A
Economics: B
ICT: B
Italian: B

Economics is a bit of a shame cause i tried sooo hard (i can't seem to wrap my head around it) and still got a C in one of my modules :frown:
Oh well! Still SUPER chuffed, espesh since 7*'s was my goal, so YAY!
I really want to do English Lit at Oxford or Durham, and i know that GCSE grades aren't everything, but how do you guys think that i'd fare if i applied for these uni's (especially Oxford)?
Much appreciated :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8073
Original post by Okkefac
Yeah it's all so annoying xD. I got 2 Bs both of which were really close to As but I expected to get Bs in them so I am more than happy with almost As XD But if they had been As and my Chemistry had been an A* it would've sounded awesome.
Hopefully you can get it lowered! I wonder if we can get ISAs remarked because maybe there's an easier like, change to it since ISAs are more written based. Good luck, hope you get that A*! :biggrin:

Haha yeah, like in a few subjects I got high A's, but since I expected to get B's in them, I'm more than grateful for them! Yeah, so awesome :smile: I was actually wondering that, if they could remark them it would be so much better, because they're more likely to get remarked better than the actual exams, I guess i'll ask my school :smile: Thank you! :biggrin: :smile:
Original post by Shady23
Haha yeah, like in a few subjects I got high A's, but since I expected to get B's in them, I'm more than grateful for them! Yeah, so awesome :smile: I was actually wondering that, if they could remark them it would be so much better, because they're more likely to get remarked better than the actual exams, I guess i'll ask my school :smile: Thank you! :biggrin: :smile:

That's great that you did much better than you expected! :biggrin:
That would be a good idea to ask the school, I have no idea how I'd get round to doing that...I guess since mine's two marks I'm just not going to bother XD I have the grades needed for sixth form, and I always seem to be a mark or two off of boundaries (in modular exams I kept getting one mark off the next grade, so frustrating XD)
You're welcome! :biggrin: Good luck
Original post by Heytherehello
I got an A* with 293/300 and i think i read somewhere that A* is around the 270-280 mark, i'm not sure, but if that is the case i'm really sorry but i don't think it's worth the remark. I know how frustrated you feel though i'm in the same situation for 2 of my subjects, but an A is still good so congratulations :smile:

You seem pretty knowledgable on the French front, can you help me? I did AQA French, and if I'm right, Units 1 & 2 are the Listening/Reading papers, and units 3 & 4 are Writing/Speaking - is that right? If it is, I thought that the Writing/Speaking units were out of 60, and I suppose they were scaled up to 90? If that's all correct, then how on earth, with 55/60 (A*) and 51/60 (A), did I end up with 63/90 and 61/90 - a B and C? Do you reckon there's been some sort of calculation error? Or am I just being stupid?
Reply 8076
Original post by Okkefac
That's great that you did much better than you expected! :biggrin:
That would be a good idea to ask the school, I have no idea how I'd get round to doing that...I guess since mine's two marks I'm just not going to bother XD I have the grades needed for sixth form, and I always seem to be a mark or two off of boundaries (in modular exams I kept getting one mark off the next grade, so frustrating XD)
You're welcome! :biggrin: Good luck

Haha thank you! Yeah my exam results made my day! So happy :smile: Yeah, I guess asking is the way forward :P LOL, Haha, oh well done for getting into sixth form! Ahaha wow, that's definitely frustrating! They should just push up the mark, just to make it look better :wink: ahaha :smile: Thanks, and good luck to you if you decide to get your Chemistry grade remarked!
for aqa science A (route 1) you need 320 ums (full course) to get a grade A, the problem is i got 318 ums, an overall B, :frown: should i get a remark done? and what are my chances of getting that A? ... :frown:
Original post by FuzzingSas
Hallo! I know i'm a bit late to jump on the bandwagon but hey ho, here're my results anyways :smile:

Biology: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
English Lit: A*
English Lang: A*
Geography: A*
PRE: A*
Art: A
Maths: A
Economics: B
ICT: B
Italian: B

Economics is a bit of a shame cause i tried sooo hard (i can't seem to wrap my head around it) and still got a C in one of my modules :frown:
Oh well! Still SUPER chuffed, espesh since 7*'s was my goal, so YAY!
I really want to do English Lit at Oxford or Durham, and i know that GCSE grades aren't everything, but how do you guys think that i'd fare if i applied for these uni's (especially Oxford)?
Much appreciated :smile:

If you do well at a level then you should be fine. I doubt oxford would class 7a*s as an underachievement :rolleyes:

On another note, its never too late to join the gcse gloating bandwagon. 7a*s 3as 2 bs. Ha. I joined :biggrin:
Original post by howletg01
You seem pretty knowledgable on the French front, can you help me? I did AQA French, and if I'm right, Units 1 & 2 are the Listening/Reading papers, and units 3 & 4 are Writing/Speaking - is that right? If it is, I thought that the Writing/Speaking units were out of 60, and I suppose they were scaled up to 90? If that's all correct, then how on earth, with 55/60 (A*) and 51/60 (A), did I end up with 63/90 and 61/90 - a B and C? Do you reckon there's been some sort of calculation error? Or am I just being stupid?

Sure i can help! :smile: Okay, i also did AQA so we're on the same playing field which is a good start! Yes, you are right, 1&2 are the listening and reading and 3&4 are speaking and writing (Thus there isn't really anything you can do about those marks!) and yes, they are out of 60 perhaps where you're messing up is because the speaking and writing were worth 30% each whereas listening and reading were only worth 20% each. Wait, when you say you ended up with 63/90 and 61/90 - a B and C, do you mean thats what you ended up with for speaking and writing? What was your overall mark and your breakdowns for all modules? If you reply, i'll try and help you figure this out because it's annoying me too! :smile:

Latest