The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2600
Original post by Good bloke
The answer to that is simple; Ireland and UK negotiated an opt-out before it became EU law. All other EU members and all new EU members (i.e. an independent Scotland) are legally forced to join the area. New opt-outs are no longer available.

I still think with the UK backing their opt out of Schengen, they would get it. I'm sure these things are negotiable if you have enough clout. I think there would be a good case considering they would be sharing a land border with a major EU member. Forcing them to put up new border controls would be against the spirit of the EU.
Original post by Psyk
I still think with the UK backing their opt out of Schengen, they would get it. I'm sure these things are negotiable if you have enough clout. I think there would be a good case considering they would be sharing a land border with a major EU member. Forcing them to put up new border controls would be against the spirit of the EU.

Why would the UK be pushing for anything that doesn't benefit the rUK? Slamonds already admitted that his plans will damage the North of England. He's also wanting to turn us into a low tax nation feeding off the rUK. As for the EU spirit, they're pushing for more integration, not more fracturing.
Reply 2602
Original post by MatureStudent36
Why would the UK be pushing for anything that doesn't benefit the rUK? Slamonds already admitted that his plans will damage the North of England. He's also wanting to turn us into a low tax nation feeding off the rUK. As for the EU spirit, they're pushing for more integration, not more fracturing.

I think border controls between England and Scotland would be bad for everyone. But it's all hypothetical, I doubt the issue will actually come up.
Original post by Psyk
I think border controls between England and Scotland would be bad for everyone. But it's all hypothetical, I doubt the issue will actually come up.

I know. As the SNP are going to loose this retarded referendum.
Reply 2604
I know. As the SNP are going to loose this retarded referendum.

Retarded referendum? The confidence of the Unionists on this forum makes me chuckle. Whilst I cannot be confident that YES will definitely win, I very much doubt there will be all that much in it.

Arguments such as border controls are what is retarded. People creating scaremongering to support their case is pathetic. You can quote any regulation in the world, but common sense tells you it would never happen.
The border crossing between Belgium and Holland looks pretty hardcore mind....

800px-Baarle-Nassau_frontière_café.jpg
Original post by Boab
Retarded referendum? The confidence of the Unionists on this forum makes me chuckle. Whilst I cannot be confident that YES will definitely win, I very much doubt there will be all that much in it.

Arguments such as border controls are what is retarded. People creating scaremongering to support their case is pathetic. You can quote any regulation in the world, but common sense tells you it would never happen.
The border crossing between Belgium and Holland looks pretty hardcore mind....

800px-Baarle-Nassau_frontière_café.jpg

As is the Border crossing between two between on area that is a non Schengan signatory and the other that isn't.

gibraltar border croosing.jpg

The word 'scaremongering'seems to continue to be banded around rather liberally. It's not scaremongering to question the SNPs rather flawed assumptions that they've made recently.
Reply 2606
Original post by Psyk
I honestly don't see that happening. It's one opt out they probably would get considering it would directly affect the UK, and the UK has an opt out. I don't see why the situation would be any different to Ireland.

I'm inclined to agree, however - as has been pointed out - the idea of Scotland having a vastly different immigration policy to the UK would make the idea of borders quite appealing to the UK. The SNP have, in recent years, firmly suggested they do want to liberalise that sort of thing.

I could just imagine the rUK getting quite annoyed if lots of foreigners were coming to Scotland on fairly open visas and suddenly appearing undocumented in London.
Reply 2607

I'm not sure what you interpret as 'common sense', but if there is a political motivation to do something - and Scotland has no control over it - then it's quite likely that external interests will win over what you believe to be sensible. The UK maintains its opt-out from Schengen because it doesn't like the idea of open borders: it just about tolerates Ireland so long as they keep broadly in line with our thinking on such matters.

The argument for open borders in Europe may have been made and won in Belgium and Holland, but it certainly hasn't been won in Hampshire and Derbyshire.
Reply 2608
I think "retarded referendum" is a little harsh, but the last Ipsos Mori poll was pretty damming for the yes campaign. It suggested that based on a 75% turnout, even if all the undecided voters sided with the Yes campaign, they'd still lose.

It's going to be a long year.
Reply 2609
Original post by Quady
How would the situation change?

Surely no Scottish notes would be accepted and Scottish degrees would be formally different in the same way a degree from South Africa is.

but it would be a sovereign Scotland.Not a region treated as inferior in the UK and Scotland could backfire the English with the same medicine
Reply 2610
Original post by tobylarone
anything that gives the finger to lab/lib/tory party gets my support. A scottish government serving the interests of scottish people at last. The oil near there belongs to scotland too though i think salmond has agreed to share it?

free scotland
Original post by Tigers
but it would be a sovereign Scotland.Not a region treated as inferior in the UK and Scotland could backfire the English with the same medicine

How have we been treated inferior to the rest of the UK. 2 ou of eh last 3 Prime Ministers and Chancellors have been Scottish. Labours Cabinet was over represented by Scots
Reply 2612
How have we been treated inferior to the rest of the UK. 2 ou of eh last 3 Prime Ministers and Chancellors have been Scottish. Labours Cabinet was over represented by Scots

Scottish degrees rated less than the English ones,for example.An Englishman with the same degree would get the job.This is what they tell me

Tony Blair and Alistair Darling are many things but there is nothing particularly Scottish about either of them :tongue:
Original post by scotland369
Tony Blair and Alistair Darling are many things but there is nothing particularly Scottish about either of them :tongue:

The nats seem to be a bit selective on what they consider is scottish and what future scottish politicians would or will do. We've so far heard that the banking crash wouldn't have happened, and then find out that our first minister was all supportive of RBS's reckless behaviour.
The nats seem to be a bit selective on what they consider is scottish and what future scottish politicians would or will do. We've so far heard that the banking crash wouldn't have happened, and then find out that our first minister was all supportive of RBS's reckless behaviour.

RBS? Sorry, I can't have been clear enough with my point which was that aside from being born in Scotland, the only time Mr. Blair spent in the country was a brief stay in Stepps and later a year or two in an English school in Edinburgh; Alistair was born in London.
Reply 2616
any real population would vote for its independence.If Scots vote against it means they are a regional group like Texas or Florida who accpet to have a parliament and some powers but don't want full independence because they are not a population
RBS? Sorry, I can't have been clear enough with my point which was that aside from being born in Scotland, the only time Mr. Blair spent in the country was a brief stay in Stepps and later a year or two in an English school in Edinburgh; Alistair was born in London.

An English school in Edinburgh? You mean Fettes? You describe its something alien.
An English school in Edinburgh? You mean Fettes? You describe its something alien.

My sister's boyfriend boards there, will be looking forward/dreading A-Level results next year and from his accent you'd think he was from the home counties (he's actually from Fife). To someone used to the Scottish education system, it is alien :P
My sister's boyfriend boards there, will be looking forward/dreading A-Level results next year and from his accent you'd think he was from the home counties (he's actually from Fife). To someone used to the Scottish education system, it is alien :P

And people wonder if we're still narrow minded in scotland

Latest

Trending

Trending