The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Exeter or Bristol?

Which would you choose, and more importantly, why?

I've met/spoken to/heard of so many people choosing between these two universities. It's for a life sciences degree, btw.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance if you've got a view.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My perception was that Bristol was generally percieved as being the 'better'/more prestigious uni of the two, although that might just be for my course. In terms of employment prospects I'd definitely place it above Exeter though - at least, from what I know.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
i'd choose bristol cause it's a more vibrant city. i don't know about the respective courses though.
Reply 3
Bristol
- Vibrant city
- Older
- It's just awesome
Reply 4
I am at Exeter, and would not want to be anywhere else.

1.top ten University.
2. One of the most beautiful campuses.(Bristol not a traditional campus uni)Second year and third year, you are only a 10 minute walk from campus.
3. Even improving in reputation and standing.
4. Safe city
5. One of the best Universities preparing you for work.
6. Great social life.
7. Top 7 in England with the most students with AAB+ and higher.
8. For the 2013 entry, has an increase of 25% in applications. It is a Uni on the rise.
9. A lot of construction done over the past few years, so many of the facilities are modern and state if the art.
10. Beach is only a 20 minute train ride away.
11. Just won an award for best employability dept. in U.K.
12. Always in the top 5 for student satisfaction.
13. Sunday Times 2013 University of the Year. Shortlisted more than any other University in the U.K.
14. 2 nd best University Tennis facilities in England.
15. Top 3 University in Sports participation.

The University simply has everything.
Reply 5
Original post by Bulbasaur
My perception was that Bristol was generally percieved as being the 'better'/more prestigious uni of the two, although that might just be for my course. In terms of employment prospects I'd definitely place it above Exeter though - at least, from what I know.

Yes, I thought that too (going by age & rankings mostly).

Do you have any evidence for improved employment prospects?
Reply 6
Original post by user45854

Bristol has the age, but Exeter the rankings!
Reply 7
Original post by Film

No it doesn't.

Exeter is top 200, Bristol is top 100, plus Bristol has an international reputation, of sorts.
Reply 8
You put this in the "University of Bristol" section. I think deep down, you know what uni want to go to. -.-
Reply 9
Original post by frogs r everywhere
Choose Bristol:

!- Amazing city and much more diverse.
2_ Bristol university is spread around a very nice area (clifton), so its not too big but not too small to feel claustrophobic (.i.e. the exeter campus)
3_ Bristol is more prestigious.

WARNING: This is rather biased, but both uni's will do you good.

1) What do you find so positive about the city? Nightlife? Culture? Also, I've heard that Bristol isn't too far from Exeter, and there are often groups who make the trip.

2) I don't think I need to worry about feeling claustrophobic; I've lived in a little village my whole life. Although, I do feel it might be a missed opportunity not to move to big city.

3) Yeah, that one's really gnawing at me. Do you think (or have any links) that it'll make a significant difference? Both being fairly highly ranked, RG, etc. Neither of them are Oxbridge.
Reply 10
Original post by Cryl
You put this in the "University of Bristol" section. I think deep down, you know what uni want to go to. -.-

If I'm honest, I put it in the "Life Sciences" section, but didn't really get a bite. After that I thought I'd get opinions from people who are attending/considering each uni and put it in both sections :cute:.

I think, ultimately, the problem is that I'm trying to decide between the uni and the course.
Reply 11
No it doesn't.

Exeter is top 200, Bristol is top 100, plus Bristol has an international reputation, of sorts.

I was speaking about the 4 main U.K. rankings for the U.K. Universities, and not the silly International rankings that put Sussex and Royal Holloway ahead of Warwick and Essex and East Anglia ahead of Bath.(these are a few of many examples). For U.K. Schools, you really need to look at U.K. Specialized rankings.

Unistats. Look on the employment for different courses. For example i know for both geography and econ the initial salaries are about 2-3k higher and the % employed in grad jobs is much better at bristol, at least for geog. I probably cant generalize for all subjects from just these two but Id suspect it would be similar. I might look that up actually.

--

Edit: I can't find life sciences, but I assumed the most similar course to that which was listed on unistats was Biology and so I'll just show that as an example. Comparing similar courses across both universities tends to show similar results.

At Exeter, 80% are employed or in further study 6 months after graduation. Of those in employment, 55% are in 'graduate jobs'. The median salary of those employed is £18,000 and the interquartile range on this measure is £15,000-£20,000 (i.e. the middle half of those employed will have salaries in this range 6 months after graduating).

At Bristol, 82% are employed or in further study 6 months after graduation. Of those in empoyment, 60% are in 'graduate jobs'. The median salary of those employed is £21,000 and the interquartile range on this measure is £15,500-£26,500 (i.e. the middle half of those employed will have salaries in this range 6 months after graduating).

Sources:
Bristol: http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007786-2BISC001UU-201112
Exeter:http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjects/employment/10007792-UFS3BIOBIO01_C100

So in terms of employment, in this case, salary is the main place that Bristol is advantageous, although it does win on every measure. So take from that what you will.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
No it doesn't.

Exeter is higher in The Times, Sunday Times, and The Guardian, so yes, it does have the rankings over Bristol in the UK.
Reply 14
Original post by Film

Bristol is ranked higher than Exeter everywhere with reputable rankings. Bristol also is third in the country (behind oxbridge) for "good honours", amount of students graduating with a first or upper second.

When it comes to world rankings, Bristol is ranked much much higher than Exeter.

I am not saying Exeter is not a good uni, I just don't know how you can say Exeter is ranked higher because its not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by FaraDai
Bristol is ranked higher than Exeter everywhere with reputable rankings. Bristol also is third in the country (behind oxbridge) for "good honours", amount of students graduating with a first or upper second.

When it comes to world rankings, Bristol is ranked much much higher than Exeter.

I am not saying Exeter is not a good uni, I just don't know how you can say Exeter is ranked higher because its not.

Sorry, but you are not correct. In the 4 main rankings in the U.K.(The Sunday Times,Guardian,Complete University Guide, Times) Exeter is ahead of Bristol.
Reply 16
Original post by Film
Sorry, but you are not correct. In the 4 main rankings in the U.K.(The Sunday Times,Guardian,Complete University Guide, Times) Exeter is ahead of Bristol.

The complete uni guide? I think not. Double check that. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

And I said reputable, the only proper UK only rankings that any potential student should take any notice of is the complete uni guide.

The guardians rankings are a joke and should pretty much be ignored. The Times contradicts itself here for a start: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/ ranking UK uni's above other UK uni's that in the UK tables ranked below them etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by FaraDai
The complete uni guide? I think not. Double check that. http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

And I said reputable, the only proper UK only rankings that any potential student should take any notice of is the complete uni guide.

The guardians rankings are a joke and should pretty much be ignored. The Times contradicts itself here for a start: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/ ranking UK uni's above other UK uni's that in the UK tables ranked below them etc.

Stand corrected on CUG, I am just so used to seeing Exeter ahead if Bristol in the rankings, that this slipped by me.
Reply 18
Original post by FaraDai

I can say it's ranked higher because it IS ranked higher - in The Times, Sunday Times, and Guardian. How you try to claim that these are not reputable tables is beyond me!
Reply 19
Original post by craftsman
I can say it's ranked higher because it IS ranked higher - in The Times, Sunday Times, and Guardian. How you try to claim that these are not reputable tables is beyond me!

Well OK, but at the same time I can say that Bristol is ranked higher, because it is, and in more tables than Exeter is than Bristol.

The Guardian and Sunday Times are a joke as they only look at certain aspects, whereas the Complete Uni Guide takes into account a multiude of aspects, making for a more rounded, more accurate table. For a list of the differences between what the CUG and Guardian take into account take a look here, http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/guardian-league-tables/ .

To be fair, the Times does take into account the same things as the CUG, how they can display different rankings depends on how much weighting they give to each different aspect. The CUG publishes all these details whereas the Times does not, so its hard to say whether it can be taken seriously.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending