The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if/how we can find out our raw marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr.Chowder
Guys please reply to this ASAP because I need to hand in my options for A levels in 2 hours!
I'm planning on doing Maths, Chemistry and biology definitely, but I'm not sure about the 4th subject. I would have liked to go with ICT since it's considered the easiest A level at the moment (or one of the easiest...I'm not sure) and because I've done it in GCSE so I know what I'm getting myself into. However, I've heard that ICT is not exactly a 'respected' A level and that you do not need ICT a level to do a computing course. So I thought about picking economics which looks quite difficult because of all the graphs and the terminology, but the 100% examination about this subject seems appealing. Also, the coursework for ICT is a real pain in the *** because it will take up a lot of time which I'm not really willing to do as I would like to spend this time for my other subjects. And there's also the combination of maths and ICT or maths and economics which I'm worried about. Which combination would let me do better and more courses in university?
Please reply to this quickly...IT'S GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!!!!

What do your teachers think? It depends really, because if you want to go to a Russell Group uni, then probably go for Economics, since the ICT A-level is generally seen by them as less suitable. If you're thinking of doing computing, you may even think about doing further maths instead, as it is seen as 'highly desirable' by those unis.

EDIT: You might find this link useful http://www.russellgroup.ac.uk/russell-group-latest-news/137-2011/4746-new-guidance-on-post16-study-choices/
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Mr.Chowder
Guys please reply to this ASAP because I need to hand in my options for A levels in 2 hours!
I'm planning on doing Maths, Chemistry and biology definitely, but I'm not sure about the 4th subject. I would have liked to go with ICT since it's considered the easiest A level at the moment (or one of the easiest...I'm not sure) and because I've done it in GCSE so I know what I'm getting myself into. However, I've heard that ICT is not exactly a 'respected' A level and that you do not need ICT a level to do a computing course. So I thought about picking economics which looks quite difficult because of all the graphs and the terminology, but the 100% examination about this subject seems appealing. Also, the coursework for ICT is a real pain in the *** because it will take up a lot of time which I'm not really willing to do as I would like to spend this time for my other subjects. And there's also the combination of maths and ICT or maths and economics which I'm worried about. Which combination would let me do better and more courses in university?
Please reply to this quickly...IT'S GIVING ME A HEADACHE!!!!!!

Hi

From my knowledge Economics is definitely the more respected course, with as you say ICT being seen as quite easy and thus a 'soft' A-Level and will probably not be as respected by Uni's. However, most Uni offers only require 3, which you would have anyway, and with all the exams now being sat in June, it may be worth lowering the load by taking a coureswork subject, but it's down to whether you think you could cope. I personally would go for Economics, but I am a Maths guy so am slightly biased.

Hope that helps.
Would my results be enough for natural sciences at Cambridge?

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Religious Studies - A
Psychology - A
Core Science - A*
Additional Science - A* (100% in all 3 exams! Although chemistry and biology were resits)
Maths - A*
Original post by Joel5001
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but does anyone know if/how we can find out our raw marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go onto the grade boundaries on the board website, and some of them have UMS/mark charts on there so by knowing your UMS you can find out your raw marks :smile:
I know AQA and WJEC have this, I think with Edexcel you have to download something, and I have no idea about OCR.
Original post by Joel5001

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just google the ums converter for the specific exam board and that will do the calculating for you if you input your ums score.

Hope that helps.
I got 100 UMS in 7 of my exams, does that mean full marks?:smile:
Original post by _phoebe

Not really it means you got the highest score you could get but take AQA chem 3 for an example 48 marks got you 100 UMS and everyMark abortive that also got 100 UMS :h:

Plus the UMS doesn't always have to be out of 100 :h: but you've done very well, well done :h:
Original post by JordanL_
Would my results be enough for natural sciences at Cambridge?

English Language - A
English Lit - A
Religious Studies - A
Psychology - A
Core Science - A*
Additional Science - A* (100% in all 3 exams! Although chemistry and biology were resits)
Maths - A*

Your levels and average UMS scores I'm them will matter ALOT more :h: don't stress too much on your GCSEs :h:
Original post by techno836
Not really it means you got the highest score you could get but take AQA chem 3 for an example 48 marks got you 100 UMS and everyMark abortive that also got 100 UMS :h:

Plus the UMS doesn't always have to be out of 100 :h: but you've done very well, well done :h:

Okay thank you:smile:
Original post by Joe7
This sums up how I've felt today so well! Congratulations on the 9 A*s by the way!

Thank you so much :biggrin: how did you get on?
Original post by _phoebe

Congrats! It can mean full marks, but not necessarily. Because exams are standardised, in an easy exam, 100 UMS can be full marks, but in a hard exam, 100 UMS might be 92/100. Just take it that you got a bloody good mark :smile:
Why did everybody get to find out how many UMS they got except for me? I really wanted to know and my results slip didn't say it ;(
Original post by Spacey368
Are my GCSE results good enough to get into a decent middle ground/premium university to do either film producction or history?

History: A
Art: A
ICT: B (might remark because 5 UMS of an A)
English Lit: B
English Lang: C
Core Science: C
Additional Applied Science: C (Might retake in June 2014)
Drama: D (Appealing)
Maths: D (resiting in November)

Those are really good results :smile: Get a C or above with the maths resit and you'll be able to get into a decent uni no problem, as long as you get the grades at AS.
Original post by Okkefac
Go onto the grade boundaries on the board website, and some of them have UMS/mark charts on there so by knowing your UMS you can find out your raw marks :smile:
I know AQA and WJEC have this, I think with Edexcel you have to download something, and I have no idea about OCR.

OCR have some formulaic way lool
Reply 8136
Original post by weaseldiva
Hiya everyone!! I'm in desperate need of advice!!! I did German aqa gcse and got an a! I'm so pleased b when I looked at the % I saw I got 89.7%! Is it true that to get an a* I need 90% and if it is true do you think is should get the paper remarked?
Also for english language aqa gcse I got a b! I'm also quite pleased but again when I looked at the % I got 79% and am I right in saying that 80% is an a and if it is do you think I should get it remarked? Thanks so much!!!!!

I recommend a remark for both papers, since your so close to the boundary. There is really nothing to lose :smile:
Reply 8137
Original post by alexSH
ARE THESE GOOD ENOUGH FOR OXBRIDGE?
Maths A*
Chemistry A*
Physics A*
Biology A*
Geography A*
Design Technology A*
French A*
Japanese A*
PE A
English Literature B
English Language B

My AS choices are Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. I want to do Biological Science at Oxford preferably.

I'm resitting English in November to get at least an A!
We did IGCSE and no modules for pretty much every subjects. I'm also foreign student and I've been in England for like 5 years so I'm quite happy with my results.
Also what do university think of resits??
THANK YOU!!

Firstly congrats on some excellent results and yes those grades will be looked upon well by Oxbridge. I don't recommend a rest, but if you feel it will bug you then go for it. Time may be better spent concentrating on AS Levels, but it's your call :smile:
Original post by snikutsmullac
Why did everybody get to find out how many UMS they got except for me? I really wanted to know and my results slip didn't say it ;(

Ah damn. Well, my school gave us, all together three sheets, one with the final course grades and the other two had unit examination grades and cw grades.
Unless your school gives it to you you can't find out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi for my GCSE's i got 5 A*'s and 7 A's, and have chosen to take history, maths, chemistry and physics for As level and then i plan to drop maths. I'm not sure if i have made the right choice as i would like to do medicine but what med schools could i apply to without biology?

Latest