The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nexttime
Yeah fine. Cambridge look at AS UMS a lot.

They're fine. I'm not convinced the resits are needed - courses that require higher than a B in English are pretty few and far between, and the overall profile of 8A* is good enough for virtually any course.

Could I get in with 6 A*s and 6 As?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rrichardson
Hi for my GCSE's i got 5 A*'s and 7 A's, and have chosen to take history, maths, chemistry and physics for As level and then i plan to drop maths. I'm not sure if i have made the right choice as i would like to do medicine but what med schools could i apply to without biology?

very few. Why aren't you taking biology..?
Original post by tess_rach

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope so, because I got 4A*s, 4As a B and a C :frown:
Hi,

Could anyone help me decide whether to go for a remark for my P.E. grade? I know it's not a very important subject in most peoples' eyes, but it's my only C grade and I am literally 1 mark off a B and 9 marks into a C grade.
I got an A in the actual theory exam but my practical grade of a C brought it down JUST enough to take away my B! :mad:
Is it worth the remark?
Reply 8144
Original post by Its Andy

Yeah, from what I know from people who've gone, your AS matter a lot more than GCSEs and you have good grades :smile:
Original post by Audi
Yeah, from what I know from people who've gone, your AS matter a lot more than GCSEs and you have good grades :smile:

I've heard that as well, but I don't want to stand out negatively because my GCSEs are worse than everyone else applying.
I got 6A* and 5A, would I still have a chance for medicine? My A* were maths, bio, chem, physics, re and geography. My As were history, music, French, English lang and English lit. :smile:
Original post by rrichardson
Hi for my GCSE's i got 5 A*'s and 7 A's, and have chosen to take history, maths, chemistry and physics for As level and then i plan to drop maths. I'm not sure if i have made the right choice as i would like to do medicine but what med schools could i apply to without biology?

We've got a list of entry reqs here. It shows you the medical schools that'd consider you.

Why don't you want to take biology? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Its Andy

Yes to both of you, those grades are perfectly fine for medicine - it just depends on where you want to apply and you avoid GCSE heavy unis!

Original post by Katherine1996
I got 6A* and 5A, would I still have a chance for medicine? My A* were maths, bio, chem, physics, re and geography. My As were history, music, French, English lang and English lit. :smile:

Those are more than good enough for medicine. Power on with applying!
(edited 10 years ago)
Could I get in with 6 A*s and 6 As

To where? Cambridge? Sure. See the bottom presentation for some data. Note that it having high ums at AS level that denotes a good chance, not really gcse grades. www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/past.html
Reply 8149
Original post by Katherine1996

Seriously ? You crested an account just to say that....The answer is obvious
Being just 1 UMS mark away from an A* in economics is sooooo frustrating :frown: Going to get a remark!
6 As and 6 Bs, I would have gotten an A in English Language as well as Literature, but I was accidentally entered into foundation because of a mixup at school, so I could only get a C in the final exam, despite getting a B in Year 10. I got a C, so luckily I got a B overall, but what can I do? Should I retake the final English Language exam, or should I leave it? I've spoken to the school, but they didn't do anything.
Original post by nexttime
To where? Cambridge? Sure. See the bottom presentation for some data. Note that it having high ums at AS level that denotes a good chance, not really gcse grades. www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/past.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had 4A*'s in Welsh, French, RE and additional science
Had 5A's in English Literature, ICT, Maths, Science and Geography
and 1B in English Language

Are these good enough for medical school?
Reply 8155
Original post by snikutsmullac
Why did everybody get to find out how many UMS they got except for me? I really wanted to know and my results slip didn't say it ;(

Mine didn't either, I had to email my exams officer and request them.
Original post by ThePhoenixLament
Predicted grades / Actual Grade:
English Lit: A* A
English Lang: A* A*
Maths: A* A*
Biology, Chemistry& Physics: A*A*A* AAA*
Geography: A* A
Art: A* A
RE: A* A*
German: A A*

Comments:
Before: I knew from the first week an A* in Art for me was impossible. If I get an A* in Maths it will be ridiculously close. It is impossible for me to get an A* in Physics due to me having to get 103% in the final unit... I think the others I may have achieved... just. Think I may have got an A* in German as I have been doing extra work as I wanted to show my teacher I could get an A* if I tried really hard.
After: ...How on earth did I get an A* in Physics?! Very happy with my German. Disappointed with my Geography as I got two A*s in the papers but my coursework dragged me down (considering in the mocks I got C's in both papers I'm very proud though). English Lit I am also disappointed, but got full marks in my coursework so again I'm proud.
However, I feel I can't really complain as I still did very well. Plus my friend got the first A* in Food Tech in our school for 15 years and is off to do a chef diploma. I feel like a proud parent!
:smile:
What are you going to study for Alevels/Btechs/IB:
Biology, Chemistry, Decision Maths and English Literature

Did anyone manage an A* in AQA English Literature?

Congratulations! :biggrin: I'm doing similar A-levels to you! Bloody well done on that A in art in particular - know so many people who've gotten Cs and Ds in it, it's a ridiculously hard subject. And German! Christ!

I somehow managed full UMS in English Literature, but that's only because a) it's the subject I love most in the universe and paid the most attention to, b) we had a beyond epic teacher, and c) getting extraordinarily lucky in the poetry exam. English Lang matters far more anyway :smile:
Original post by nkamy
Omg Im having the exact same problem!!! ARGH I dont know what to do about it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many people have had this problem so I think AQA may have to do a full remarking of everything... If, of course, they ARE wrong, which I'm now convinced that they are!
I got 6B and 4C. can I still be a doctor
Highest in the school for Computing, Spanish, RS and Physics! Waaaaaah I can't believe it :biggrin:

Latest